Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fittings for Attwood pumps

Brad B

I'm changing from Rule to 1200gph Tsunami fill pumps.

The ball valve thread is 3/4"fem and the pump is 1 1/8".

What fitting are y'all using to go from the ball valve in the thru hull to the pump?

I used this fitting: http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w747.html Use plenty of pipe thread sealant.

But this next season I will use the Rule 405FC, it has a 3/4" inlet.

If you use this fitting it will be cross threaded into the shut off valve. The fly high fitting has a propriatary thread pattern that won't mate up with anything but fly high products.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use this fitting it will be cross threaded into the shut off valve. The fly high fitting has a propriatary thread pattern that won't mate up with anything but fly high products.

No it doesn't, it's just standard NPS thread, which is different than the typical ball valve you'll buy at Home Depot which is NPT (you shouldn't really be using a brass product in this application anyway, but that's another story). The 747 threads into NPT thread just fine for this application. If you want to fix it for good use a proper marine ball valve which will be NPS and the 747 will thread in like butter.

No it doesn't, it's just standard NPS thread, which is different than the typical ball valve you'll buy at Home Depot which is NPT (you shouldn't really be using a brass product in this application anyway, but that's another story). The 747 threads into NPT thread just fine for this application. If you want to fix it for good use a proper marine ball valve which will be NPS and the 747 will thread in like butter.

so are you talking about the bronze ball valve on your website?

3_4_ball_valve.jpg

I just switched from the "home depot" PVC ball valve to this:

post-10115-126417535787_thumb.jpg

Buck-Algonquin Seacock 00ASC75LP ($20-$30)

Has 3/4" NPS (straight thread) on the bottom, 3/4" NPT (tapered thread) on the top. My new Rule pumps thread perfectly in to this. I have a 3/4" NPS through-hull fitting on the bottom.

The 747 binds up and cross threads when I try to screw it into the brass ball valves I have that were stock with my 23LSV.

Ditto because they are different and it doesn't work. Sorry Skicrave I beleive you are wrong in this one.

I'm talking about the shut off valves that malibu uses for the ballast pumps, it doesn't work I've tried it you should try it to. When I called up Fly High they told me their fittings in their bags are proprietary in design, I didn't figure they were lying to me.

Edited by 06vlx

But its ez to get around using martinarcher's fix.

Use a fitting that will tread (3/4" npt) with a 1" barb on the other end - or even an all thread or male to male.

Then the 1" (or even 1 1/8")hose can be fit on it and the threads of the Tsunami.

But its ez to get around using martinarcher's fix.

Use a fitting that will tread (3/4" npt) with a 1" barb on the other end - or even an all thread or male to male.

Then the 1" (or even 1 1/8")hose can be fit on it and the threads of the Tsunami.

Yeah boy! It's the only way I could find to get around those stupid proprietary threads! I really happy with it.

Since the inlet is a weird 1 1/8" there is no screw on fitting that will work. I ended up using a heat gun to soften the 1" tubing I was going to use. I then coated the threads in the inlet of the pump with dish washing detergent and the warm hose was easily "screwed" onto the pump. The 1200's were almost a show stopper since they don;t have a standard thread, but this was a simple easy way around that. They're such a cheap reliable pump that flows well that it's hard not to go with them. Thumbup.gif

post-7666-126420380627_thumb.jpg

so are you talking about the bronze ball valve on your website?

3_4_ball_valve.jpg

That one would work, but nearly any Bronze ball valve for a marine application will have NPS thread (it's VERY difficult to find one that isn't). In addition to the thread issue going away, you'll also have the correct part for the application, and one that won't fail prematurely. Check out Bronze Ball Valves on our blog for more info.

I just switched from the "home depot" PVC ball valve to this:

post-10115-126417535787_thumb.jpg

Buck-Algonquin Seacock 00ASC75LP ($20-$30)

Has 3/4" NPS (straight thread) on the bottom, 3/4" NPT (tapered thread) on the top. My new Rule pumps thread perfectly in to this. I have a 3/4" NPS through-hull fitting on the bottom.

A Seacock is really the "correct" way to go here, but few owners are willing to drill additional holes in their hull to install one. Bravo to you for doing it right.

The 747 binds up and cross threads when I try to screw it into the brass ball valves I have that were stock with my 23LSV.

Yep, it sure will, because the brass ball valve Malibu uses is straight out of the hardware bin and uses NPT threads, the 747 (and all other bag related Fly High fittings) use NPS threads. Because of the low pressure nature of this application there is plenty of thread depth when using a W747 in an NPT thread, but if you're not comfortable with that then the alternative is to get an NPS ball-valve, use the hose directly onto the inlet thread of the pump method, or use Attwood 1 1/8" thread to 1" hose barb adapter.

Ditto because they are different and it doesn't work. Sorry Skicrave I beleive you are wrong in this one.

Sounds like no one is wrong, we're just talking about different things. I'm not arguing that they're different, just trying to provide some information as to what is different about them, and what options are available for converting or integrating the two.

I'm talking about the shut off valves that malibu uses for the ballast pumps, it doesn't work I've tried it you should try it to. When I called up Fly High they told me their fittings in their bags are proprietary in design, I didn't figure they were lying to me.

We haven't tried it, but only because we know there's no reason NPT and NPS threads do not mate correctly. Fly High didn't lie to you, but they do like to make people think that they MUST use Fly High fittings with their bags (can't blame them, it helps sells more of their product). The fact is that's entirely unnecessary as the thread pattern used is simply NPS, so if you can find the correct fitting with NPS thread, go for it (that task can be very difficult though).

That one would work, but nearly any Bronze ball valve for a marine application will have NPS thread (it's VERY difficult to find one that isn't). In addition to the thread issue going away, you'll also have the correct part for the application, and one that won't fail prematurely. Check out Bronze Ball Valves on our blog for more info.

A Seacock is really the "correct" way to go here, but few owners are willing to drill additional holes in their hull to install one. Bravo to you for doing it right.

Yep, it sure will, because the brass ball valve Malibu uses is straight out of the hardware bin and uses NPT threads, the 747 (and all other bag related Fly High fittings) use NPS threads. Because of the low pressure nature of this application there is plenty of thread depth when using a W747 in an NPT thread, but if you're not comfortable with that then the alternative is to get an NPS ball-valve, use the hose directly onto the inlet thread of the pump method, or use Attwood 1 1/8" thread to 1" hose barb adapter.

Sounds like no one is wrong, we're just talking about different things. I'm not arguing that they're different, just trying to provide some information as to what is different about them, and what options are available for converting or integrating the two.

We haven't tried it, but only because we know there's no reason NPT and NPS threads do not mate correctly. Fly High didn't lie to you, but they do like to make people think that they MUST use Fly High fittings with their bags (can't blame them, it helps sells more of their product). The fact is that's entirely unnecessary as the thread pattern used is simply NPS, so if you can find the correct fitting with NPS thread, go for it (that task can be very difficult though).

Sorry man it looks like my post was pretty rude and I didn't mean to come off that way. I can't believe Fly High told me they were proprietary threads, kinda pisses me off. Anyway thanks for the info on the threads might come in usefull during my bag plumbing.

No problem, it's tough to convey things clearly on forums, and I "know" you well enough from your posts to know you didn't mean anything from it.

Fly High may actually think the thread pattern is proprietary, and most of the people they talk to don't know NPS from NPT or SOL.

Good luck with the install, you can save quite a bit by using standard plumbing fittings where they work.