Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Anchor?

wakeboy

I have the small anchor and folded I would say it's 6" wide (including teeth) and about 14-18" long and 3-4" tall when stored in the bag. I would say it weighs between 20-30 lbs. Ready for deployment it's about 6" tall, and about 14"x14".

Thanks 06, wow the frame must be thick if it weighs 20-30lbs!! Thicker than the 2"x 1/4" flat bar I was thinking about fabricating one out of.

Edited by Ndawg12
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ndawg12

• Bobby Light

• wakeboy

• Malibuswany

Thanks 06, wow the frame must be thick if it weighs 20-30lbs!! Thicker than the 2"x 1/4" flat bar I was thinking about fabricating one out of.

Ya the frame is more like 3"x1/4" flatbar but the teeth on it are huge and made of the same material. Then you have the solid steel shaft on it as well, hinges, yada yada. It all ads up. It might even weigh more like 35# not sure haven't weighed it.

The info is actually on their site. The small is 19 Lbs.

Where did you find it, I thought I looked pretty good?

Nevermind I see the anchor specs tab now that I look again.

Edited by 06vlx

For others that want it, here are specs for the baby, small & large box anchors:

Baby Box Anchor (collapsed)

$119.95

Weight: 13 lbs.

Height: 18.0"

Length: 7.0"

Width: 4.5"

Small Box Anchor (collapsed)

$149.95

Weight: 19 lbs.

Height: 22.0"

Length: 8.5"

Width: 5.0"

Large Box Anchor (collapsed)

$179.95

Weight: 25 lbs.

Height: 25.0"

Length: 9.5"

Width: 5.5"

Box anchor all the way!

I sold both the small and baby box anchors for the past two years and customers said the baby box anchor held their 21-23 foot boats no problem. So if you wanted to save a few bucks you could go with the baby box anchor. If you were planning on tying up with other boats or in high winds i would go with the small box anchor.

-Paul

For others that want it, here are specs for the baby, small & large box anchors:

Baby Box Anchor (collapsed)

$119.95

Weight: 13 lbs.

Height: 18.0"

Length: 7.0"

Width: 4.5"

Small Box Anchor (collapsed)

$149.95

Weight: 19 lbs.

Height: 22.0"

Length: 8.5"

Width: 5.0"

Large Box Anchor (collapsed)

$179.95

Weight: 25 lbs.

Height: 25.0"

Length: 9.5"

Width: 5.5"

Did you happen to catch the recommended boat size or max size for the baby box? I think the small is all the way up to 24' cruisers or 30' gfbl boats. I wonder if most of us could get by with the baby seens how most of us have 20-21.5' boats.

Did you happen to catch the recommended boat size or max size for the baby box? I think the small is all the way up to 24' cruisers or 30' gfbl boats. I wonder if most of us could get by with the baby seens how most of us have 20-21.5' boats.

We might have posted at the same time, look above your post. A lot of our customers are using the baby on VLX & LSV's with no issues with a anchor coming loose. So your assumption is right!

-Paul

This is what I found on slideanchor.com:

Baby Box Anchor: Personal watercraft

Small Box Anchor: Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'

Large Box Anchor: Offshore / Sport to 40', cabin cruiser to 32'

Ex-Large Box Anchor: House boats, cruisers longer than 32'

Edited by RedOwl

We might have posted at the same time, look above your post. A lot of our customers are using the baby on VLX & LSV's with no issues with a anchor coming loose. So your assumption is right!

-Paul

Real world tests, that's what I was looking for. If the small can hold 5 boats like someone mentioned then I figured the small could hold more than just a pwc. Thanks Paul and RedOwl.

Real world tests, that's what I was looking for. If the small can hold 5 boats like someone mentioned then I figured the small could hold more than just a pwc. Thanks Paul and RedOwl.

Yip, we have tied up several boats to our small in copper canyon on havasu and elseware in that lake and have not had any issues with floating or drifting. This anchor holds tight it works really well if you back into the shore and shore spike the aft with the anchor off the bow.

Very welcome!

PS: Your avatar picture is awesome.... ridin' dirty

-Paul

Your problem might be related to not having enough line out with the anchor. Can't recall the exact equation but it is something like 2-3 times the depth.

It is recommended to use 5 to 1 scope.(for regular anchors) 10 feet of water = 50 feet of rope/chain. Most people never put out that much though.

I'd have a hard time believing the baby box anchor wouldn't hold a 21.5' boat in place. Its dimensions aren't that far off from the small.

On the other hand, for a $30 difference, I'm not sure I'd take the chance.

I'd have a hard time believing the baby box anchor wouldn't hold a 21.5' boat in place. Its dimensions aren't that far off from the small.

On the other hand, for a $30 difference, I'm not sure I'd take the chance.

For a $40000 boat?? Weenie. Take the plunge. Tease.gif

Any one who is considering buying a box anchor, should check out the group buy," thread ideas post" and vote! I have already decided to pick one up before summer, but it would be pretty cool (if there was enough intrest) to get one at some sort of discount!!!!

Any one who is considering buying a box anchor, should check out the group buy," thread ideas post" and vote! I have already decided to pick one up before summer, but it would be pretty cool (if there was enough intrest) to get one at some sort of discount!!!!

Here ya go: http://www.sandspike.com

The owner, Jack, is a local rider & fellow Malibu owner. Quite a few other things on that site to check out too. Rockon.gif

I was have had problems with my sand spike coming out when it is placed in 18" of water or so. On those beaches that are really shallow for a long ways out. The spike would come out very easily and then just float around the bottom since it is so light. It doesn't take too much wave action to pull it out in a sandy bottom. The other spike (shore stake) looks like it might hold better since it looks like it is steel and a bit longer.

Edited by MalibuTime

I use an aluminum fortress designed for a 30' boat. It has NEVER slipped and almost always gets set correctly on the first try every time on may types of bottoms. I have used this for about 7 years in very heavy storms with 100% confidence. I connect it to a rubberized 3' chain.