Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Anchor?

wakeboy

Ok so I am not sure what type of anchor I even use, but it doesn't work very effectively, in my opinion. I live on a fairly shallow lake, if that factors into everything. Since I live on the lake I don't really use my anchor much. The times I do use an anchor are sparatic, like on July 4th for the fire works. However, I would like to have a good anchor so I know I can rely on it if/when the time comes. My major problem is that I tend to slowly drift when my anchor is deployed and I feel like I am the only one the experiences this. There is no current on the lake, only the wind that effects my position. I really would appreciate any suggestions or advice as too why it may be user error instead of a problem with my anchor.

Thank you guys in advance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ndawg12

• Bobby Light

• wakeboy

• Malibuswany

Ok so I am not sure what type of anchor I even use, but it doesn't work very effectively, in my opinion. I live on a fairly shallow lake, if that factors into everything. Since I live on the lake I don't really use my anchor much. The times I do use an anchor are sparatic, like on July 4th for the fire works. However, I would like to have a good anchor so I know I can rely on it if/when the time comes. My major problem is that I tend to slowly drift when my anchor is deployed and I feel like I am the only one the experiences this. There is no current on the lake, only the wind that effects my position. I really would appreciate any suggestions or advice as too why it may be user error instead of a problem with my anchor.

Thank you guys in advance.

Depends on the bottom of the lake. I primarily boat on a lake with a mud bottom and these work great

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45253____SearchResults

The smallest anchor I'd consider is 20 lbs

Depends on the bottom of the lake. I primarily boat on a lake with a mud bottom and these work great

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45253____SearchResults

The smallest anchor I'd consider is 20 lbs

Plus1.gif I use a 20 pounder with 3 feet of chain. It has always held in the Lake Norman chop. But anybody who has coughed up the money for the box anchor will swear by it as well so it depends on how much you want to spend.

Box anchor looks like serious business guys. Thanks for the advice. I am not sure I can justify spending 175 dollars on an anchor that I will use a few times a year, but I will go and check the weight of my current anchor and the design to see if it is up to snuff. I am guessing my anchor may just be too light. Also, my lake has some parts that are muddy, other parts that have weeds, and other parts that are rocky. So I am not sure if one anchor, other than the box anchor, will be a good compromise between all of those areas.

Box anchor looks like serious business guys. Thanks for the advice. I am not sure I can justify spending 175 dollars on an anchor that I will use a few times a year, but I will go and check the weight of my current anchor and the design to see if it is up to snuff. I am guessing my anchor may just be too light. Also, my lake has some parts that are muddy, other parts that have weeds, and other parts that are rocky. So I am not sure if one anchor, other than the box anchor, will be a good compromise between all of those areas.

Trust me you won't be dissapointed. My med box holds my boat and five others in a strong current on the colorado river. Your boat wont move with this one.

Your problem might be related to not having enough line out with the anchor. Can't recall the exact equation but it is something like 2-3 times the depth.

I try to keep the line close to a 30 degree angle. Looks like the box anchor is designed for up to a 45 degree angle (depending on bottom conditions I'm sure) so a little less line is required fwiw.

Ya I may not be giving it enough line. So is a 30 degree angle ideal? Will that have more of an effect on the hold then having a better anchor? I wll probably go out and get a 20 pound anchor if mine turns out to be less than 20 pounds.

You didn't say but the anchor is only part of the system to hold your boat. I've seen people tie a rope to an anchor and they can't figure out why it won't hold. The rope, chain and anchor all work together to hold your position.

What is the difference between a rope attached to an anchor and a chain connecting the rope to the anchor?

I have a chain, but I am just curious as too why that is important?

What is the difference between a rope attached to an anchor and a chain connecting the rope to the anchor?

I have a chain, but I am just curious as too why that is important?

It's the weight of the chain that forces the anchor to lay down so it'll bite into something. Without the chain, the pull of the rope will lift the anchor, which makes it not bite into anything on the bottom.

Ok that makes sense. Well I have a chain on my anchor and I will make sure that I have a chain on my new anchor if I determine I need a new one.

20 lb tri-fluted river anchor as first suggested for your described situation will be perfect. A box anchor is serious overkill for your size boat and usage - too much cleanup, too awkward to haul around and stow (yeah I know they fold down, still...). Use a minimum of 4 feet of lead to each foot of water depth and you won't need any chain on it. We use 30 lb river anchors on each end of our portable slalom courses and they work perfectly, hold without problem and no chain required. Simple, very compact, easy to clean up (vinyl coated!), works well in all bottom types, and way less cost than a box type. My $0.02.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

Just curious where on your malibu's do you store your anchors?

Specifically in wakeboard models where ballast is taking up bow storage.

Edited by ds53652

Just curious where on your malibu's do you store your anchors?

Specifically in wakeboard models where ballast is taking up bow storage.

I keep my "awkward/overkill" box anchor under the rear drivers side seat cushion. Nicely tucked away in the thick re-inforced bag it comes with. It's a real pain in the but I tell ya.

I use the box anchor for my VLX and it has never failed me even in heavy wind and no matter what type of bottom. I also like the fact that I do not need a chain, instead I use a rope combined with an anchor buddy, which is a great system especially if you are beaching, I can anchor the boat a safe distance from shore and pull the boat closer to shore for loading and unloading using a sand spike and rope tied to the stern.

My friend uses a danforth anchor and he drifts (do not think he's using any chain though). Will admit that the danforth is easier to deploy and pull in. However when I anchor its usually for the whole day so I leave the anchor down and tie the rope off to a buoy when the boat is in use. Never a problem stowing, it folds and goes into a bag and under the seat.

As far as cost, well at least I will not have to buy a new anchor due to dissatisfaction.

I think I might get a river anchor then. It seems unnecessary for me to get a box anchor considering I will barely use it and when I do use it, it is for only short amounts of time. It just seems easier and it will save me some money. I will make sure I got a decently heavy chain on it in order to help it work properly and go for the 30 degree angle on the rope.

I really appreciate the help guys.

I use the box anchor for my VLX and it has never failed me even in heavy wind and no matter what type of bottom. I also like the fact that I do not need a chain, instead I use a rope combined with an anchor buddy, which is a great system especially if you are beaching, I can anchor the boat a safe distance from shore and pull the boat closer to shore for loading and unloading using a sand spike and rope tied to the stern.

My friend uses a danforth anchor and he drifts (do not think he's using any chain though). Will admit that the danforth is easier to deploy and pull in. However when I anchor its usually for the whole day so I leave the anchor down and tie the rope off to a buoy when the boat is in use. Never a problem stowing, it folds and goes into a bag and under the seat.

As far as cost, well at least I will not have to buy a new anchor due to dissatisfaction.

Thumb up for this one. This is exactly how I use it, Addidtionally I store mine under one of the bow cushions. Ya I agree it is such a pain to get it out of the nice bag unfold it and toss it in the water then when I pull it up to reverse the process. A couple of sweeps through the water to clean it off, fold it up put it in the bag stow it and away we go.Thumbup.gif

Does anyone have any estimate dimensions on the box anchor and how much it weighs?

I have the small anchor and folded I would say it's 6" wide (including teeth) and about 14-18" long and 3-4" tall when stored in the bag. I would say it weighs between 20-30 lbs. Ready for deployment it's about 6" tall, and about 14"x14".