Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NEED HELP TO MAKE A DECISION - Trailer issue

Hi folks,

I live in Ottawa, Canada and wish to purchase a trailer for my 2004 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV.

If I purchase a brand new Malibu trailer in Canada, the cost is $6900 + 2 txs which bring me to approx. 8K$.

I verified with a dealer in USA state which is very close from Ottawa and they are offering me two options :

FIRST OPTION :

The same trailer at 6900$ + 2 tx in Canada will cost me 4500$ + 1 tx. It is a Malibu (boatmate) trailer made for my 2004 23 LSV.

SECOND OPTION :

For 3000$, the dealership offer me a used 2006 Malibu 247 trailer. The dealership told me I can put my 2004 23 LSV on this longer trailer.

Do you guys see any issues if I purchase the 247 trailer to put a older version of the 23lsv? Has anyone tried this before? Do you guys thinks I might have issues to do this? (ex : having problems to put boat on trailer - or to damage the boat or the prop - or to have too much weight on the tong for my truck because the boat will not be balanced properly on the trailer vs double axle)

I would like to make a decision soon.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS...

(If it was yourself, would you pick first or second option?)... or do you know anyone with a used malibu trailer to fit for a 2004 23 lsv?

I would investigate option 2 a little deeper. $1,500 can buy a lot of petrol. Was it lightly used? Any idea of the miles on it. Why does he have a used trailer? Tire and brakes in great condition? Dealer should know if it will fit your boat just fine, but you could also ask him for very specific dimensions of where the bunks are placed and then use tape on your hull to see where they would fall with your boat on that trailer.

For just $1500 +tax more you get a brand new trailer that fits your boat, that's what I'd do.

Do you know where can I find a trailer for 1500$? Any contact or website?

Thanks for your replies guys!

Do you know where can I find a trailer for 1500$? Any contact or website?

Thanks for your replies guys!

I think the 1,500 represents the difference between option 1 at $4,500 and option 2 at $3,000.

I would spend the extra $1,500 for Option 1

We used to use my MC PS205 trailer to haul my buddies' MC PS190 occasionally. When the boat was snug against the bow block & winch, the trailer stuck out like 18" past the stern of the PS190. Not past the swimstep, but enough that it looked a little funny. There was never a problem with the prop or rudder hitting anything. But the first time you load the boat, I wouldn't be doing it under power.

I guess it would depend on what I was going to use the trailer for. Do you haul long distances to a variety of lakes or keep your boat on one lake & only pull it to put it in storage?

And depending on how handy you are with a cutting torch & a welder, it might be a pretty easy mod to make.

I think the 1,500 represents the difference between option 1 at $4,500 and option 2 at $3,000.

I would spend the extra $1,500 for Option 1

Sorry, yes that's what I meant.

I think a guy on here bought an aluminum kit trailer, some assembly was required, not sure on the price but I think it's cheaper, won't rust, and it looked pretty good. Might be an option.

Edited by Ndawg12

I finally received an e-mail from the boatmate trailer company and here is their answer :

''It will “fit”, but not properly. The trailer is about 18” too long and pulling the boat all the way to the bowstop will make it not fit the bunks properly and cause excessive tongue weight. I have to discourage using the 247 trailer under your 23LSV……not a good idea.''

I will forget the idea of fitting my boat on a 247 trailer and will stick with the original idea of purchasing a brand new trailer that will fit perfectly for my boat.

thanks for your help folks!

I finally received an e-mail from the boatmate trailer company and here is their answer :

''It will “fit”, but not properly. The trailer is about 18” too long and pulling the boat all the way to the bowstop will make it not fit the bunks properly and cause excessive tongue weight. I have to discourage using the 247 trailer under your 23LSV……not a good idea.''

I will forget the idea of fitting my boat on a 247 trailer and will stick with the original idea of purchasing a brand new trailer that will fit perfectly for my boat.

thanks for your help folks!

Did you talk with Mr. Jones at Boatmate? He's helped me in the past and is awesome to work with Thumbup.gif

I would stick with a 23 LSV trailer.

How far from Seattle are you? I sent you a PM, I might have a line on a used 23 LSV trailer if your willing to travel to the Seattle area?

-Paul