Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone ever seen a Malibu boat enclosure? I saw this on Facebook

MexTex

I certainly have.

It might have been on the old MBO site. Someone had one for rain protection that was attached to the bimini and had clear vinyle all the way around. I think down to the floor.

That is our boat. We had the enclosure made after getting caught in too many storms at Lake Powell. We plan on using it to camp at the lake this summer and can't wait. The best part is it was the wife's idea to have it made.

I used the pictures from the guys in the NW to come up with ours. We are really happy with it, the first night we cruised during the Christmas parade with it 75 inside. Then the next morning it started to rain while we were asleep and it was nice to not worry about getting wet.

By chance can someone suggest a canvas shop in the Norris Lake area that could do this for our 23 lsv. With lake time as precious as it is, we take a lot of chances with the weather and have been caught a few times too many. I was even wondering about a single piece made to fit over the bimini that could simply tie off to the cleats.

13742_192484206303_655116303_307720.jpg

love the idea. I was wanting to do this last summer but didnt like the idea of having snaps all over the boat, the lines on the bu's are perfect. if anyone has any ideas on how to close it up without snaps that would be great.

love the idea. I was wanting to do this last summer but didnt like the idea of having snaps all over the boat, the lines on the bu's are perfect. if anyone has any ideas on how to close it up without snaps that would be great.

Velcro?

I'm not a fan of having snaps either. In fact, after having problems with the snap holes in the fiberglass cracking in my MC, I swore I would not buy a boat with snaps in it again.... and I walked away from a couple of boats on that premise.

But I like the idea of a nice big enclosure too. That LSV is the BEST cool weather ride ever! That boat owner is in the Portland area & we've spent quite a bit of time on it the last few years. Rockon.gif

One of the guys on my dock has a snap on cover on his VLX. All his snaps are in the rub rail, on the bottom side. So it seems like the issues I've had with the snap holes cracking, or the snaps themselves getting caught on your shorts, etc..... all go away. Might be a bit of a funky look to the boat with the enclosure up. But at that point looks are secondary to function in my book.

Isn't there a rule somwhere that states if the weather and water conditions are so lousy as to require a full cabin enlcosure then you shouldn't really be on the water anyway?

If you only got out on the lake in the Seattle & Portland areas when it was when it hot & sunny, then you'd only get out for about a month every year. When I lived there we'd go out to ride if the weather was even remotely descent. And if it started raining, no big deal. Your already wet. And you'll get the best water ever. But we'd rarely just decide to go ski in the rain.

And you know what they say about rules anyway.

38 degree water & 28 degree air on Christmas eve. Man up!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Our I/O had this. About a dozen times we took it out in the pouring rain with a cooler and munchies, and just trolled around the lake. It's pretty neat, watching the sheets of rain blow past and seeing the water drops pound the lake, while warm and comfy under the canvas. Very relaxing.

But when it comes to water sports..."Lose the top".

Our I/O had this. About a dozen times we took it out in the pouring rain with a cooler and munchies, and just trolled around the lake. It's pretty neat, watching the sheets of rain blow past and seeing the water drops pound the lake, while warm and comfy under the canvas. Very relaxing.

But when it comes to water sports..."Lose the top".

All that lightening hitting all around you never caused any concern? And holding up your canvas enclosure? What do we call that again? Metal? Electrically conducting metal?

All that lightening hitting all around you never caused any concern? And holding up your canvas enclosure? What do we call that again? Metal? Electrically conducting metal?

No sir, never in the lightning, no way. We've had those weekend soakers where it just pours and never stops raining, but no lightning is involved. Where we are looking at half the state covered in green on the doppler, but not a single lightning strike in 24hrs. Holed up in the house...Hey, let's go for a boat ride! Or a 3 hour tour...

The boat came equipped with it, so we'd occasionally use it, but it was a lot of B/S to put up. Funny though, I thought we'd never really miss it, and one of the first things my kids expressed when we got the Echelon was how disappointed they were that we could not go out in the rain anymore. They are only 9 & 10, but those few times that they joined us like that were so fun and memorable that it really stuck with them. And the 3 year old (then 2) would crawl up under the bow cover and sleep with the towels. It just brought a whole different dimension to boating.

13742_192484206303_655116303_307720.jpg

Nice use of the nav. light to light up Santa. That's some Wile E. Coyote stuff right there (super genious).

Unless it's just the angle of the photo making it look that way in which case...never mind.

Nice use of the nav. light to light up Santa. That's some Wile E. Coyote stuff right there (super genious).

Unless it's just the angle of the photo making it look that way in which case...never mind.

Or is that stickin' it up Santa's . . .stuff?

another thing that im not sure ppl consider, since im from vancouver weather is pretty much the same in seattle and portland, if your driving in the rain you would want some windshield wipers. which would stick out like a sore thumb. another reason why i said screw it to the driving it in the rain idea.

another thing that im not sure ppl consider, since im from vancouver weather is pretty much the same in seattle and portland, if your driving in the rain you would want some windshield wipers. which would stick out like a sore thumb. another reason why i said screw it to the driving it in the rain idea.

Rainex.....

lol you would think, but no that doesnt work

Not sure why. We've been using it on the boat for years on Sammamish & Washington. It's not like things are super clear. But the lake is wide open & you don't need to it be that clear.

I run the PIAA silicon wiper blades on our cars and use the solvent they come with. We rarely need our wipers above 25mph as long as it's clean rain and not the dirty spray from a car in front, so I can see a product like Rain-x working just fine out on a lake.

I do remember using my uncle's old deep-v aluminum Starcraft in the 80's in some pretty torrential rain coming in from fishing. Visibility wasn't ever the issue...deciding who has to run and get the truck and trailer and get soaked was.

I run the PIAA silicon wiper blades on our cars and use the solvent they come with. We rarely need our wipers above 25mph as long as it's clean rain and not the dirty spray from a car in front, so I can see a product like Rain-x working just fine out on a lake.

I do remember using my uncle's old deep-v aluminum Starcraft in the 80's in some pretty torrential rain coming in from fishing. Visibility wasn't ever the issue...deciding who has to run and get the truck and trailer and get soaked was.

That should be an easy selection: the guy who brought the crappiest beer. Or no beer. Or no gas money.