Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tinting windshield, '08 VTX

Koop

Your vtx windshield will remove by only taking out 4 screws. It would be the easiest thing for the tint guy. I am thinking about doing the same thing as you. 20% should be enough. I sit high enough with the bolster up that I look over the windshield anyway.

4 screws, that's it? My boat is currently in storage (2.5 hrs away) when I go pick'er up I'll check it out. I'm currently looking for a place to get the windshield tinted in the Okanagan (anywhere from Kamloops to Penticton). Called 4 different place's to see if they've tinted boat windshield's. 3 of the shop's said they could probably do it, but hadn't before! Not exactly what I'm looking for.......If anyone from B.C. has had there window tinted and can recommend a shop that would be great. Going with 20% also......

KOOP

I'm thinking about doing this to my boat as well. I'm guessing removing the windshield would be easier for the person doing the tinting, but I imagine if the person you have do it is "good" he could do it with the windshield on the boat.

Tinting Boat windshield are a PITA! I would NOT take it to someone who has never done them before. You'll regret it HEAVILY! The curve on that front windshield needs shrunk to the point of melting the tint... Then a little bit past that to get them to fit lol. I can't imagine it be easier pulling the windshield out of the boat, unless you have pull all the framing around the glass off and THEN tint it?? Otherwise it's gonna be the exact same or harder. Least on the boat the tinter has the outside glass to work on and it's not gonna move on them. He just has to cut a PERFECT pattern. Also, there's this stuff that almost looks like electrical tape, don't recall the name of it. About 1/4" wide tirm as you will, that whoever does it can put a strip of it on the top or bottom of the windshield, or both to cover up any gaps they have. Gaps in boats REALLY look like crap!

The "easy way I have seen it done is by overlapping square/rectangular pieces of tint to make the curve of the windshiled...but it looks like a hack job even if it is done straight.

It can be done, but I know a master tinter that has owned several late model Malibus and he never tints his glass because it is such a PITA.

The VTX doesn't have the compound curve like the wrap around style that most models had when the VTX came out so it should be a bit easier in that regard. I can't see doing it without removing the windshield though.

4 screws, that's it? My boat is currently in storage (2.5 hrs away) when I go pick'er up I'll check it out. I'm currently looking for a place to get the windshield tinted in the Okanagan (anywhere from Kamloops to Penticton). Called 4 different place's to see if they've tinted boat windshield's. 3 of the shop's said they could probably do it, but hadn't before! Not exactly what I'm looking for.......If anyone from B.C. has had there window tinted and can recommend a shop that would be great. Going with 20% also......

KOOP

Ask them about curved glass they have done (rather than boats), that is really the challenge, especially if you take the windshield off the boat and bring it to them.

Edited by MalibuTime
  • 4 weeks later...

Found a place in B.C. to tint my windshield. Had me all excited.....told me they have done it before and could do mine if I wanted, showed me pic's of boat's they have done, informed me the windshield needs to come off, then told me the price! This is the point the excitement subsided....$675 (I'm guessing before taxes)!!! I was told it would take 3 hrs with them taking the windshield off and re-installing it. I forgot to ask if it was a 3 hr job total time or just windshield removal and re-install? Any how, now I'm a little torn. I think the price is a bit steep but I like the fact it's a Malibu dealer that would be doing the work. With taxes in it's gunna be over $700......just seem's a bit high and really hard to swallow. Looking for some feedback as I try and decide.....

Found a place in B.C. to tint my windshield. Had me all excited.....told me they have done it before and could do mine if I wanted, showed me pic's of boat's they have done, informed me the windshield needs to come off, then told me the price! This is the point the excitement subsided....$675 (I'm guessing before taxes)!!! I was told it would take 3 hrs with them taking the windshield off and re-installing it. I forgot to ask if it was a 3 hr job total time or just windshield removal and re-install? Any how, now I'm a little torn. I think the price is a bit steep but I like the fact it's a Malibu dealer that would be doing the work. With taxes in it's gunna be over $700......just seem's a bit high and really hard to swallow. Looking for some feedback as I try and decide.....

I'll do it for $650! LOL. Seems about 2x too high for 3 hours and $50 worth of tint.

$50 in tint? Not even that much! I wouldn't have anyone do it for over $250! lol Otherwise your getting ripped! $650 is a joke damn! Maybe I should get into tinting boat windows if there's that much money in them... I'm guessing the high price is because they really don't wanna do it, but for $650 who wouldn't right! Find someone else!

I got a quote here in Dallas for $299, and that was with 3M tint. $650 is absurd!!! I'd tell the guy to shove it and keep looking. I had to ask at least 5 places before I found someone that would do it. Hell, a buddy of mine that tints cars even refused me. I guess the curve scares most regular tint guys off. Either that or the consumption of time it takes.

I know everything about boating is expensive, but I almost choked when I heard the price. Good to hear I'm not alone in my thought's.......I'll keep searching

As I boat in / on the ocean and one of my last posts was about hiting a submerged rotting wood... there is no way I would tint my window and reduce the view. Boating on an ocean, dealing with tides picking crap off the beaches I just don't think it is wise to tint and reduce vision. I also might be different than some that post as I tend only to use the bolster when surfing.

now if I could tint without limiting my vision I would as I agree it does look cool

I think the tinting looks badass. I can barely see through my windshield as it is which means I typically look over it, so I can't imagine a little darker glass would do any harm. Altough it is nice to get under the windshield if you get caught in the rain. That said I can't see myself getting it done now because the cost isn't worth it.

I have had my windows tinted on my last couple of boats... both 20%. I like the look of it plus it provides a little more shade in combination with the bimini -- great for my two year old who likes to chill in the observer seat. My last boat had a curved window and the guy charged $350 (3M life time warranty) and came out to my storage to tint... I did shop around and this guy was highly recommended. Our current boat (AXIS) the windshield was easier tint so it was cheaper. I have been boating with the windshield tinted for a few years and the only time I have problems seeing is at night. We wakeboard at dusk frequently and visibility has never been an issue.

I have had my windows tinted on my last couple of boats... both 20%. I like the look of it plus it provides a little more shade in combination with the bimini -- great for my two year old who likes to chill in the observer seat. My last boat had a curved window and the guy charged $350 (3M life time warranty) and came out to my storage to tint... I did shop around and this guy was highly recommended. Our current boat (AXIS) the windshield was easier tint so it was cheaper. I have been boating with the windshield tinted for a few years and the only time I have problems seeing is at night. We wakeboard at dusk frequently and visibility has never been an issue.

And the VTX has a window more like the Axis. The corner is not curved glass, it is a post.

I have thought of tinting mine as well but am concerned about the lack of visibility. Do most of you guys look over the windshield or through it?

I've always looked over the windshield. Especially with the curved glass, tends to hide things that could be in the water. As well as if someone was sitting in front of the driver in the bow.

I have thought of tinting mine as well but am concerned about the lack of visibility. Do most of you guys look over the windshield or through it?

Depends on the weather. This time of year I sit down in the seat & look thru the windshield. Then the cool air goes over my head.

But in the summer, when it's warmer, I'll have the seat bolster up & look over the windshield.

Visibility hasn't been a problem unless we boat at night. I look through my windshield anytime during the day and for the few times a year I boat at night I look over the windshield.

If you do want a quote, I definitely recommend the guy that did my last two boats. I keep my boat in Murrieta so its fairly close to you.

• 8 years later...

To add to this tread I have a 08 vlx. Had two companies tell me they could do it. Both failed. Both said they did them before. One shop removed the glass. Either the glass is harder on some curved windows or these guys can’t do it. Bummer for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

A good tint guy will put your tint on your boat for you without the removal of the windeshield... It is completely unnecessary to remove the windshield to apply the tint. 

1 hour ago, dielawn said:

A good tint guy will put your tint on your boat for you without the removal of the windeshield... It is completely unnecessary to remove the windshield to apply the tint. 

This

I had my 06 tinted a couple of years ago and did not have to remove the windshield. 

Edited by Kojak

@Koop for what it is worth that is the price i was given from three different tint shops in Calgary, $6-700. All of them wanted the windshield out also. I have not proceeded with this option as that price is too rich for my blood, especially since we are skiers and are running early morning sets.

23 hours ago, mackie12 said:

@Koop for what it is worth that is the price i was given from three different tint shops in Calgary, $6-700. All of them wanted the windshield out also. I have not proceeded with this option as that price is too rich for my blood, especially since we are skiers and are running early morning sets.

Three places in Saskatoon have quoted me between 400-450 with windows in.

A good friend of mine is a seasoned tinter and I have had him do several boats for us here. The high price on the curved glass is to cover the tinters warranty when it comes to peeling or lifting at the base of the window where it curves.  My guy give the original buyer a lifetime warranty on the film and the labor. And the odds of the tint liting where its shrunk so much is higher. And of course the full curved one piece windshields are a pita, we do not remove the windshields.  But he does them in one piece and they look stellar.  He wont do them for anyone else, but he and I go back many years. 

I can also tell you that he uses a couple of brands of film, and one them wont shrink enough, not sure why. But the higher priced film will shrink enough.

Edited by COOP