Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tinting windshield, '08 VTX

Koop

Was curious if I had to pull the windshield or can it be tinted while on the boat? My boat is in storage and I was thinking of getting the dealer to have it tinted before I pick it up in the spring. Thinking of going 20%, if anyone has pics of there boats tinted let's see 'em. We don't do a lot of driving at night so visibility isn't a concern. Any feedback from people who have tinted there windshields would be greatly appreciated. Our VTX is white and black so I just thought it would look good.

This is a popular issue that we all can't agree on and should be added to the list. I agree it looks cool and was thinking about doing it myself but was talked out of it by the crew in another thread, I'll try to link to it....

Interested as to why you were talked out of it? Besides the visibility issue at night, I can't see much downside. Boats I've seen with tinted windows look sharp!

It's a style vs functionality issue. Most guys who do it, find there are times when they can't see a damn thing thru it. But they look badass.

Heres a couple of my friend's boats. The guy who installed the tint on the red boat took the windshield off. Cost was like $300. The guy who owns the LSV had to convince his tint guy to do the job. He charged him $600, did the job with the windshield on the boat & swore at him the entire time. Now he won't tint another one with that windshield at all.

JakesBoat.jpg

Qstint.jpg

I expect the new windshield has less curve to it so it might be easier to do.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Interested as to why you were talked out of it? Besides the visibility issue at night, I can't see much downside. Boats I've seen with tinted windows look sharp!

I agree, it looks sweet!! I was re-reading some posts from years back on this. I think the things that talked me out of it was that if you have sunglasses on then you can't see through the windshield, cost is $3-400 and I'm a tightwad, and I don't like the idea of taking the windshield off the boat, I know they don't have to but most probably do and things like that never go back the same way they came off or as sturdy. JM2C, share pics if you do it Thumbup.gif

I was told by my tint guy that he would not do it do to the curves in the windshield even if I pulled it off. Check with 2006maliblu he did his and can give you better info.

I would never do my boat. Skiing at dawn or dusk I don't want to deal with it. With that said I sure like some of the boats I have seen done. We ride on a part of the lake that is narrow and has hi ground around it. Its just to easy to miss boats that blend with background so I like as much vision as possible. Dontknow.gif

did my response and buddy air nautique . yes lookes killer but the wife didn't like it in low light, can not see anything small in the water at any distance. we do most of our riding early moring or late afternoon, tinted both boats 20% on both. took glass out made it alot easier. during the day took the reflection off the water only good thing.but it looks good, have a new 08 vtx wanting to do 35% just for the look and help protect my dash. hope this help if got any more question just ask

I just had my new windshields done in 50% i hope its not a glare factory :Doh: But im on my 3rd set of dashes something has to help!

when you say 3rd set of dashes, what does that mean??

I'm hoping that he means that on 2 previous boats the dashes got sun damaged. I hope that he's not on his 3 dash on an '07.

No it means the 3rd set of dashes on the VTX the first set bubbled the second set bubbled and browned Cry.gif

did my response and buddy air nautique . yes lookes killer but the wife didn't like it in low light, can not see anything small in the water at any distance. we do most of our riding early moring or late afternoon, tinted both boats 20% on both. took glass out made it alot easier. during the day took the reflection off the water only good thing.but it looks good, have a new 08 vtx wanting to do 35% just for the look and help protect my dash. hope this help if got any more question just ask

Now that is good to know. We have a significant amount of floating logs and junk. Its very bad in spring and after heavy rains. The lake above us was drained last year for dam repair and our lake has never been worse.

We had boats in the water April 15 and sat for almost two weeks before we could ski. Just to much junk last year.

Looking through the tint with polarized glasses was one of my concerns, but boats with tinted windshields look so good! Guess I'll just run non-polarized if I get the tint. Crash's 2 dash replacement's (already) will be used as firepower against my little lady, who is already fed up with proposed modifications and upgrades to our first boat!

The guy that did my boat didn't take the windshield off, but afterwards said he'd wished he had. But my windshield is all one piece around the corners, the newer ones wouldn't pose as much of a problem I don't think. All in all I love it, I've done it on my last two boats and would do it again too...

post-449-126281088889.jpg

post-449-126281103754_thumb.jpg

Got to stop parking that thing under the heat lamp.

No kidding the saddest part is when its not being used it parked inside. But it is 100+ here from june to sep.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 07 wakesetter and got my winshield tinted limo black i live in bakersfield ca its freken hot here in the summer and u can still see through it and it looks badass.I only paid 90 bucks and the guys didnt take py winshield of they did a great job.I guess it all depends where u take it to

Just had my 04 LSV windshield tinted in limo (4-5%). Also did it on another boat we have previously and loved it!! Makes the boat look 100x better and I NEVER drive the boat looking through the windshield anyways. Always on the bolster seat looking over the windshield.

I love the look of a tinted windshield but am afraid it makes it more difficult to see. Anybody goona be at Norcal WOW so I can ride on one with a tinted windshield and see first hand before I make a definate decision?

I love the look of a tinted windshield but am afraid it makes it more difficult to see. Anybody goona be at Norcal WOW so I can ride on one with a tinted windshield and see first hand before I make a definate decision?

Yea, we'll have Jake's XTI there.

JakesBoat.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ya guys i had mine tinted for about a month, it was sick! loved every second of it till the sun went down and had a few beers in me, i came in a little off on my dock and now i have a 6 foot scratch down the side of my boat, if i just stood up it would of been fine, its all person preference.

Your vtx windshield will remove by only taking out 4 screws. It would be the easiest thing for the tint guy. I am thinking about doing the same thing as you. 20% should be enough. I sit high enough with the bolster up that I look over the windshield anyway.