Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water in the glovebox

Nicvtx

alright, i have an issue.

we went out last weekend and got caught in a huge rain storm, it was pouring down and we had about a 20 min journey back to the ramp, we were sitting on about 34-40 mph the whole way back to the ramp.

so when we got to the ramp we had to open up the glovebox to get the keys for the car our, we didnt take notice about it till i actually got the keys out and they were dripping with water.

so we quickly took everything out and their was about 2 inches of water sitting in their. BUT ISNT A GLOVEBOX SUPPOST TO BE WATER TIGHT?

to a result of this we now have a broken iphone and mobile phone, now im going to contact the malibu headquaters in Austrailia and make a formal complaint about this. so this day out cost me round $800 which i am very pissed off about!!!!!!!!!!!

has anyone else had problemns with their glovebox getting water in it.

i know how it got in their it was just a s***ty design with just a rubber seal round the bottom of the windshield

alright, i have an issue.

we went out last weekend and got caught in a huge rain storm, it was pouring down and we had about a 20 min journey back to the ramp, we were sitting on about 34-40 mph the whole way back to the ramp.

so when we got to the ramp we had to open up the glovebox to get the keys for the car our, we didnt take notice about it till i actually got the keys out and they were dripping with water.

so we quickly took everything out and their was about 2 inches of water sitting in their. BUT ISNT A GLOVEBOX SUPPOST TO BE WATER TIGHT?

to a result of this we now have a broken iphone and mobile phone, now im going to contact the malibu headquaters in Austrailia and make a formal complaint about this. so this day out cost me round $800 which i am very pissed off about!!!!!!!!!!!

has anyone else had problemns with their glovebox getting water in it.

i know how it got in their it was just a s***ty design with just a rubber seal round the bottom of the windshield

My glove box gets water in it. Sucks to hear about what happened to your electronics - maybe you can mod it to make it water tight, it would definitely be nice.

Since the glovebox is right below the windshield, the screws that hold it down, and the air intake vent, I'd assume there could easily be some water getting into the glovebox. We use it for phones & keys too. Thanks for letting us know that it may or may not be the safest place though.

I'm not sure that calling Malibu all pissed off will get you very far though. Good luck with that.

but the thing is you pay $80 000 for a boat you should think that they make sure it is water tight!

my bayliner glove box was perfect, we held a hose over it and no water got in. how hard could it be to make it water tight, i little sealer under the rubber would of done it.

you can actually see the sunlight coming through between the fiberglass and the ruber seal i mean com'on $80 000

its just not good enough!!!!!

Edited by Nicvtx

but the thing is you pay $80 000 for a boat you should think that they make sure it is water tight!

my bayliner glove box was perfect, we held a hose over it and no water got in. how hard could it be to make it water tight, i little sealer under the rubber would of done it.

you can actually see the sunlight coming through between the fiberglass and the ruber seal i mean com'on $80 000

its just not good enough!!!!!

You better complain about paying that as well.

You better complain about paying that as well.

ROFL.gif that's what i was thinking Biggrin.gif

Better take a pill and chillax before calling anybody. Why would you run a hose over top of a glovebox, if it was a test then why didn't you do it with the bu?

$80 000 australian!

of course im not going to call them and start yelling, i just want to get it sorted out.

it cost me $800 in electronics.

and we ran the hose in the bayliner cause we had a dust storm here recently and all the dust settled in the garage and covered the boat, so we had to use the hose to get it out.

$80 000 australian!

of course im not going to call them and start yelling, i just want to get it sorted out.

and we ran the hose in the bayliner cause we had a dust storm here recently and all the dust settled in the garage and covered the boat, so we had to use the hose to get it out.

I figured that just busting your balz.

that zip-lock advice is great - we always do that - call it a belt and suspenders - we're just that type - never had that specific problem - but never tested the glove-box quite like you have nor have we been out in the rain - I do agree that if you pay a premium price there's some level of quality - we're sympathetic - keep us posted - bayliner and malibu - whoa! apples and oranges - just my opinion....

One of the ongoing complaints with the 07,08 VTX and not sure about 09 or 10 is that there is a BIG gap under the corner of the windshield that lets water and anything else in. I am not sure if it was specific to the VTX or anything with the new style window with the vented corner posts. One of the first things I did was weather strip it. It wasn't too hard to find considering the amount of daylight coming through. It is a bummer that your stuff got wet, and I think it is a poor design. You are correct thinking that the glove box should be designed to keep your stuff dry in a rain.

We have been caught in the rain more than once. Yes the glove box gets wet, everything on the boat can get wet. If it has to stay dry, it is your responsibility to take the proper precautions.

Edited by dlb

I have and 08 LSV and the problem is your seal between your windshield and the boat. It is a poor design that was fixed in 09 I had my windshield replaced under warraty for the same reason. I was pulling my boat home from the lake and got caught in a storm was only in it for about 5 min and my glove box was full. The only use like 4 screws to hold the winshield down, then use double sided tape to keep it weather proof. This looked ugly so they put weather stripping on the outside. I would talk to my dealer my worked great with me on getting this taken care of.

$80 000 australian!

Don't call and yell, that never really solves anything. But do call and calmly discuss the issue. I'm betting that it was never elevated to the point where they gave waterproofing the glove box any thought. Your prompting might get them to make a change and have a new selling point for future Malibus.

Ziplock works, but we just use a tupperware container with a lockable lid (lockable lid is probably a bit overkill). The tupperware containers come in so many shapes and sizes that it's easy to find one (or even two) to fit any items of concern, and still fits in the glove box.

Ziplock bags can rip and don't protect as well. Just a suggestion.

Tupperware is a good choice too. The zip locks are good because you can keep a phone in your pocket and wade to shore and if you want you can double bag it. Good for wet hiking trips as well or anytime you are near water, like white water rafting for instance. When you are not using the zip lock you can fold it and put it in your pocket, try that with tupperware.

I agree with the OP. Malibu should have enough sense and ability to make that compartment VERY water resistant at least.

It is water resistant, just not water proof.

I'm all for if you have valuables in the boat, put them in a dry case so you ensure they stay dry, especially electronics.

-Paul

I've had water in my glove box too in my 08 LSV. Not that I have specifically asked around with my friends who have MCs and CCs, but I've noticed they also keep their cell phones and stuff in waterbags in the glove compartment. I think the rule of thumb no matter what type of boat you're on is to waterproof whatever your carrying that is electronic. Lessons learned... God knows, I'm still learning too.

Edited by brettpendl

It is water resistant, just not water proof.

I'm all for if you have valuables in the boat, put them in a dry case so you ensure they stay dry, especially electronics.

-Paul

While the solutions to the problem are probably all good, I can sympathize with the OP's plight. When you plop down hard earned cash on a boat it is not unreasonable to assume the stuff in the glovebox will be protected from the elements. If you leave your cell phone in a cup holder and it gets wet, you probably deserve it but most people would assume the glove box would keep things dry. BTW who puts gloves in the glove box? Should they call it a glove box? If not, what is it's intended purpose or what should you use the space for if not to store items you want protected from the elements?