Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HO Mach 1, O'Brien Podium/World Team

hoosierslalom

Hey all-

Has anyone skied an HO Mach 1, O'Brien Podium, or O'Brien World Team before?

Looking to buy a new slalom...I'm about 210, 45 years old, haven't skied for a few years and want to get back to it!

I know I'll need 69" or 70", which is the Mach 1 and Podium.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hey all-

Looking to buy a new slalom...I'm about 210, 45 years old, haven't skied for a few years and want to get back to it!

My Cousin has an HO Mach1 from the 80's. It was a great ski in it's day. We now ski an HO Monza. Boardco. has their Mach1's on closeout right now. I can't comment on the newer Mach1's.

http://www.boardco.com/shopexd.asp?id=7920

I ski a 68" world team. I like it as an intermediate ski. It is light and has quite a bit of flex to it, but it has grown on me. It's like a old pair of boots they just fitting better the more you wear them.

Edited by Ramman17

I have an older Mach 1 (mid-80's version) and it is still an awesome ski.

The 69" version is ideal for someone around 200 - 220 pounds.

The older ones have a narrow tail and can be tough to get up on, but once up they are great skis.

I don't know if the newer ones are a little wider in the tail, but i think they are.

Hey all-

Dude, that's kicking it seriously old school. Biggrin.gif You should seriously take a hard look at the newer wide ride skis such as the Obrien Syncro, HO Triumph, Radar Theory and similar. These skis are WAY better performance skis than the oldies you've listed BUT at the same time easier to get up on, easier to ride, require less physical input to get whatever performance your current ability can produce yet give you plenty of head room performance-wise to work with as you improve. At your size (I'm about your weight but add almost 10 years...) IF you're an aggressive skier a 67" wide ride will be plenty, if not go for a 69". At least try a performance wide ride before you spend the money on an outdated old school design so you'll know the difference. Then go for what works best for you and what type of skiing you want to do.

Ed