Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold temps...when to take action?

OTN

Yea...I guess I won't worry about it. It shouldn;t be below freezing for too long. I just got to thinking about it after I heard my swimming pool put itself into 'freeze protection mode' at about 4:00 this morning and didn't turn off until a couple hours later when the sun came up. I have never had to consider this since I've owned the boat. I've never read a winterization thread, except this one, and would not know where to begin if I had to perform the service.

Relax you should have no problems. If it gets to 28 it will stay much warmer in the warehouse. The ground and floor will be a much higher temp along with everything inside. It would take many hours of below freezing outside to get to freezing inside.

That's been my experience as well. I have my boat in a enclosed storage no power. I run an inside/outside thermometer and there is normally a 5 degree temp difference.

One of the buildings I manage is a 160,000 square foot "dry storage" warehouse. Occasionally the heaters fail and blow in cold air (outside air make up). Even with it at 15 degrees over night, and two huge blowers pumping in cold air, the warehouse doesn't get below 32, there's just waaayyy to much concrete and soil below it emitting BTU's, let alone all the other stuff in the warehouse.

Knock on wood, I think I have those heaters fixed to automatically shut off now.

I run a 100w bulb sometimes and put in a remote thermometer to measure the temp from the house. My boat is on a lift over the water. Not inside at all really. I've seen the temps in the mid teens outside and the engine compartment stay in the upper 30's overnight. I doubt it would keep the temp above freezing for much longer than that. The bad part is worrying if it's going to be OK or not.

Bill, you are pretty fast at a 5 min. total drain. I'm at about 15 mins.

Plus1.gif x4. 3 90W bulbs around the engine and 1 sitting near the heater core. It's keeping things about 20 degrees warmer than outside right now sitting on the lift. The remote thermometer is the trick for sure. It alarms if it gets close to 32 and I can always go on out there and start it up to let it warm up to regular temp or just to take it off the lake. I'm being a little paranoid this time because of the extended cold, but one bulb by the heater and one bulb by the engine has always done me in the past 6 years.

I cracked a block in my boat after 1 night of temps in the low 40's, you should winterize your boat and not get it out until I get mine back out Biggrin.gif

If your antifreeze freezes in the low 40's, its time to try a new brand!!!! Innocent.gif

I cracked a block in my boat after 1 night of temps in the low 40's, you should winterize your boat and not get it out until I get mine back out Biggrin.gif

Got to call BS on this one. Water freezes at 32F. Lower 40s is above 32F. There are absolutlely zero ways for water in a block to freeze at "lower 40s". Cracked block in that instance HAS to be due to something else.

Got to call BS on this one. Water freezes at 32F. Lower 40s is above 32F. There are absolutlely zero ways for water in a block to freeze at "lower 40s". Cracked block in that instance HAS to be due to something else.

Must have been a joke was all I could come up with. Perhaps someone from up North trying to get a competitive edge on the Orlando guys...

• 1 month later...

I just ordered two Goldenrod Heaters/dehumidifiers for my boat. I ordered the 3 foot to go inside my motor compartment and a 1 foot to go under the heater core. One of the promo boat guys at the lake I am a memeber with uses these all winter long. He has them set up on a temperature controller and once the temp drops below 40'f the Goldenrods kick on keep everything snugly. He also turns his shower on and drains the water out of the shower. Does this also drain the heater core?

I just ordered two Goldenrod Heaters/dehumidifiers for my boat. I ordered the 3 foot to go inside my motor compartment and a 1 foot to go under the heater core. One of the promo boat guys at the lake I am a memeber with uses these all winter long. He has them set up on a temperature controller and once the temp drops below 40'f the Goldenrods kick on keep everything snugly. He also turns his shower on and drains the water out of the shower. Does this also drain the heater core?

nope.

keep in mind that the heater/dehumidifier is only effective when the power grid is online and when the fuse has not popped and...

draining the block, heater core and shower are not big jobs and are much cheaper than replacing after an aw-shucks.