Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold temps...when to take action?

OTN

All,

It's a Catch-22 down here in Texas. Highs in the mid-60s during the day, down to low 30s at night. I've been moving the boat from my storage facility (no electric) to a friend's house and throwing a 100W bulb (an old-school heater, not a newer environmentally-friendly one) in the engine compartment when the temp is predicted to hit anything 32 or lower. Questions:

1. It seems the 100W bulb puts out enough heat to raise temps in the engine compartment by at LEAST 5-10 degrees - everyone agree?

2. How long/cold does it need to get before damage really does get done to the block? If the temp is predicted to hit 32 and only stay there for an hour or two, do I need to worry about making sure the bulb is in place?

I'm going to go ahead with a winterization on Tuesday anyway, so this is kind of academic. The stress of watching the temps/worrying about the bulb, etc...just too much.

T

p.s. Apologies in advance to our Northern friends who would kill to be in this situation...take it from a guy who spent all last winter skiing in the Missouri River behind a bass boat.

All,

It's a Catch-22 down here in Texas. Highs in the mid-60s during the day, down to low 30s at night. I've been moving the boat from my storage facility (no electric) to a friend's house and throwing a 100W bulb (an old-school heater, not a newer environmentally-friendly one) in the engine compartment when the temp is predicted to hit anything 32 or lower. Questions:

1. It seems the 100W bulb puts out enough heat to raise temps in the engine compartment by at LEAST 5-10 degrees - everyone agree?

2. How long/cold does it need to get before damage really does get done to the block? If the temp is predicted to hit 32 and only stay there for an hour or two, do I need to worry about making sure the bulb is in place?

I'm going to go ahead with a winterization on Tuesday anyway, so this is kind of academic. The stress of watching the temps/worrying about the bulb, etc...just too much.

T

p.s. Apologies in advance to our Northern friends who would kill to be in this situation...take it from a guy who spent all last winter skiing in the Missouri River behind a bass boat.

This is one of those deals where if you even have to ask the question, then you should winterize. Not worth the consequences.

This is one of those deals where if you even have to ask the question, then you should winterize. Not worth the consequences.

I kind of agree. Those consequences are what make me lose sleep at night- I'm going to winterize on Tuesday when the dealer opens up again after the holidays.

Having said that, I'm 99% confident that I'll be able to make it through this weekend without any trouble...and be able to get a nice New Year's Day ski in to boot.

Realistically it would have to be under like 25 degrees for the bulk of the night to cause any damage to the engine. The heater core is probably the weakest link & could blow in 32 for a few hours.

That said, why risk it? It takes 5 minutes to drain everything & get a good night's sleep.

Realistically it would have to be under like 25 degrees for the bulk of the night to cause any damage to the engine. The heater core is probably the weakest link & could blow in 32 for a few hours.

That said, why risk it? It takes 5 minutes to drain everything & get a good night's sleep.

Bottom line: Good sleep and no $2,000 bill or 5, heck even 10 minutes of attention? You do the math.

In my poor college days of driving leaky beaters, I'd run pure water until finding the time to replace the radiator or fix a water pump, etc. From what I've seen it has to get below 20 to break anything. Never had anything break, but had radiators freeze up solid and we'd have to run the engine on and off until it thawed. All over $7 worth of antifreeze that was instead used for snowmobile gas. Stupid. But, there it is.

I run a 100w bulb sometimes and put in a remote thermometer to measure the temp from the house. My boat is on a lift over the water. Not inside at all really. I've seen the temps in the mid teens outside and the engine compartment stay in the upper 30's overnight. I doubt it would keep the temp above freezing for much longer than that. The bad part is worrying if it's going to be OK or not.

Bill, you are pretty fast at a 5 min. total drain. I'm at about 15 mins.

Bill, you are pretty fast at a 5 min. total drain. I'm at about 15 mins.

Maybe it takes a little forethought to get to 5 or 10 minutes. You have to have the tools on hand. And any fittings that can be setup with a quick-release type setup will help. I have my heater lines setup so I can drain the heater in about 30 seconds. I have a pair of channel locks in the boat (for pulling the knock sensor). I have the Globe "run dry" impeller. And I know specifically what needs to be done. So there is very little rummaging around or looking for things.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I am in Dallas and have had my boat "on ice" for a month now. We hit 25* at night for a week solid, so I am glad I did it. I totally forgot to fog the engine though. That is the only thing that is worrying me. We have had an uncommonly wet and cold winter so far.

I will say that I am jonesing hard for summer already...

I am in Dallas and have had my boat "on ice" for a month now. We hit 25* at night for a week solid, so I am glad I did it. I totally forgot to fog the engine though. That is the only thing that is worrying me. We have had an uncommonly wet and cold winter so far.

I will say that I am jonesing hard for summer already...

Yeah, Dallas has been getting hit pretty hard from what I've heard. Hopefully the temps turn around and spring comes sooner rather than later this year...

Yeah, Dallas has been getting hit pretty hard from what I've heard. Hopefully the temps turn around and spring comes sooner rather than later this year...

where are you at? austin? SA? houston? valley?

I keep my boat on the lift into Nov in mid Mich. Over the water helps but we see some night temps into lower 20's.

I use the 100w bulb and have never had any problems. Time at the lower temps is the issue. Also if you have a shower or heater then you need to protect them also. It takes maybe 5 or 6 or more hours to get a hard freeze. Its hard to give any firm answer as day time temps have a lot to do. With your description I would think you have no worries for block damage.

I just came in from snow plowing I wish I had your problems. Tease2.gif

Not getting any tears from me. Deal with it and your 10 months of summer.

Not getting any tears from me. Deal with it and your 10 months of summer.

No tears expected that's for sure, but you should see it when a city like Dallas or Oklahoma City gets hit with a snowstorm. Tough to deal with if the city never bothered to purchase plows, salt, etc...AND if your citizens don't realize that 4WD doesn't help you slow down.

Stroker-ace I'm in Austin, actually.

No tears expected that's for sure, but you should see it when a city like Dallas or Oklahoma City gets hit with a snowstorm. Tough to deal with if the city never bothered to purchase plows, salt, etc...AND if your citizens don't realize that 4WD doesn't help you slow down.

Stroker-ace I'm in Austin, actually.

Gotcha, but aren't there enough damn yankees living there to educate the general masses in basic snow driving??

Gotcha, but aren't there enough damn yankees living there to educate the general masses in basic snow driving??

Funny, there aint enough damn yankees to learn us anything, but more than enough to piss us off. ;)

how about in real cold? It was a high of +4F today and low of -14F. Windchill is around -30F for the night. Luckily the boat was winteriezed and in a heated garage for the winter.

it has been -15 to -25F...do you think I should winterize?

Sorry I couldn't resist...

If the temps are just getting to the freezing point, you should be fine, it would take forever for the water to even freeze at 30-32 degrees, plus you are warming up significantly in the daytime hours.

it has been -15 to -25F...do you think I should winterize?

Sorry I couldn't resist...

If the temps are just getting to the freezing point, you should be fine, it would take forever for the water to even freeze at 30-32 degrees, plus you are warming up significantly in the daytime hours.

That is a good point.

I use the general rule that it needs to be below freezing more than 24 hours, or once the temp reaches 25 F your boat needs to be winterized.

If your worried, take a cup of water and put it on the swim step or trailer, if it starts to ice up winterize or put some heat source in your bilge.

-Paul

It's supposed to get to 28 degrees here tonight. Winterization is not something I have ever thought about. I am a little concerned. I just ran the boat yesterday for about a half hour, so I imagine the engine is as full of water as it ever is. I don't know the first thing about winterizing, and I am sure it is too late to get to the dealer to have it done...I don't think they are even open on Mondays. The boat is in a warehouse. I called them and they don't have heat, but don't seem to concerned. We'll see, I guess.

It's supposed to get to 28 degrees here tonight. Winterization is not something I have ever thought about. I am a little concerned. I just ran the boat yesterday for about a half hour, so I imagine the engine is as full of water as it ever is. I don't know the first thing about winterizing, and I am sure it is too late to get to the dealer to have it done...I don't think they are even open on Mondays. The boat is in a warehouse. I called them and they don't have heat, but don't seem to concerned. We'll see, I guess.

If the warehouse has power, the 100W bulb thing worked for me: I was able to get a couple of sets in this weekend (see pic), and everything ran like a charm. Still going to winterize for good tomorrow, especially hearing the weathermen in town here freak out about low temps around 20. Still tough for a former "Nertherner" like myself to get used to...

post-8578-126262511396_thumb.jpg

Relax you should have no problems. If it gets to 28 it will stay much warmer in the warehouse. The ground and floor will be a much higher temp along with everything inside. It would take many hours of below freezing outside to get to freezing inside.

If you have power the light bulb should make it a very restful night for you.

My boat has been on the lift over nights with temps in the low 20's with one 100w light.

It let me sleep peaceful. My ski buddy just down the lake had his boat on a lift no light boat covered but no canapé on the lift and all is good with his boat.

Edited by Sixball