Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Buyers Guide

Boatman

Every Christmas I look forward to getting my Waterski Mag Boat Buyers guide. I've got nothing yet. Has anyone got theirs yet? I have everyone from 1987 except 1988. If anyone has 1988 wants to part with it let me know.

Boatman

I have not received mine yet. I did not receive this years (or last years depending on how you look at it) guide either, I even called the magazine twice and did not receive one. Hopefully I will get one this year. Not that I'm interested in trading my boat but I love to look at all of the different models from each manufacturer.

Every Christmas I look forward to getting my Waterski Mag Boat Buyers guide.

You are joking right? If you like the pics of the latest boats with the with the newest tech, fine. My take is that the last meaningful BG that had any objectivity was '04. The sad thing is, I actually used the guide to steer me towards my boat. Not that it was easy because I had to read between the lines.

Now, its just a bunch of manufacturers brochures brought together. Was it a coincidence that Nautique started putting their boats back in after '04 when WSM started the all glowing reviews of boats? Nope. Don't think so. Just WSM pandering to its advertisers with no editorial / reviewer objectivity.

It's not a buyer's "guide".

You are joking right? If you like the pics of the latest boats with the with the newest tech, fine.

It's not a buyer's "guide".

No, I'm not joking. Yes I do like the pictures and I'm not the one who named it a "Buyers Guide". For me it gives a comparison of boat specs, pics of the new models and the newest features available. It is interesting to go over several years of these "guides" and marvel at the advances in design and technology. As for objective reviews, forget it. I use it as a "Gentleman's Bathroom Companion" :blush:

Edited by Boatman
  • 2 weeks later...

Got mine today. Unbelievable. I didn't think it was possible to get worse than it already was, but it did.

I'll give MC one thing, it appears they wised up because they only have the 214V in there.

And they do the CC 200 Open and Closed Bow as two separate boats. Huh?

Usually it takes me an hour to go through the BBG. This one took all of five minutes.

Mike

Have not recieved and as posted, the issue has been worthless for the last few years. It really offered some good info about 10+ years ago but has deteriorated since.

+1

I paged through the BBG a couple years ago and couldn't believe the lack of information it provided. Many moons ago I used to wait in great anticipation for this issue.

We got some at the dealership. It's a bit short on information, almost any brochure gives you MUCH more useful specs.

Corey- What are you doing on the Malibu forums??? Is that even allowed??? LOL

I'm usually less critical of the BBG than others on here (I do agree it was better in the past when they actually compared different models). However, I have to agree that it has gotten pretty bad. Only 2 DD boats and most manufacturers only seemed to enter a few of their models. Mastercraft only put in one boat and it was a V-drive? I would think they could offer a lot more without losing advertising.

Well......You guys were right. Mine came today and what a disappointment! I was waiting for this????? As for being this year's "Gentleman's Bathroom Companion", almost worthless. The pages are even too shiny to wipe with. I'll know more about most of these boats after the Chicago Boat Show this Sat. than the "GUIDE". Oh well, by next year I will be anxiously awaiting its arrival again.I'm a creature of habit I guess. Tradition you know.

Edited by Boatman

Yeah, it was a WASTE this year!!! I also chuckled at the fact they separated the OB and CB Ski Nautique 200....I think that boat looks bad a** from the outside and the wake looks amazing, but the interior is so hideous. There's NO way I'm dropping over $50K on a boat that i can't stand being in. Unless Malibu screws it up, my next ride is going to be an LXi all the way!!

Complete Crap. Nothing but brochureware and obviously MC didn't want to pay for their 'advertising' space this year. So much for this being a buyers guide. And could Malibu have picked a worse color scheme for their RLXi? And speaking of color, does the CC 200 come in any other color than the red white and blue?

I was going to suggest that the BBG wasn't even good for butt wipe but someone already beat me to that. Waterski Mag has become such a poor piece of literature over the last 5 years that I won't renew whenever my subscription runs out. I've been a subscriber since 1994.

• 1 month later...

I agree, however because of an issue with the post office, or waterski magazine, my collection going back to 1987 is incomplete, and they don't have anymore. Before anyone else uses it for toilet paper can I convince you to send it to me.

$10 for your trouble including shipping fair??