Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many skiers (on 2 skis) can a 98 Response get up?

Dave SML VA

This past summer my friends and I decided to pull as many skiers as we can get up behind my EBBTIDE (21' V8 275hp)open bow.

All skiers were on two skis. We got up to nine skiers.

I just purchased a 98 Response with the standard 315hp Inmar engine. How many do you think I can get up?

Anyone tried the same thing? If so what is the most skiers you have gotten up?

We did this when I was a kid in 1969 we got up to 14. See photo with 11 skiers.

post-11982-12621850309_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave SML VA

Be careful!!! We snapped a ski pylon on a late 2000 model Response LX....

I would attach the ropes to different areas. 2-3 to each trailer tie downs, 2-3 to the rear tow hook 2 to tower and the rest to pylon.

It would be interesting how many were skiing or trying to ski when pylon broke!!!!!

Edited by Dave SML VA

It also depends on how many skiiers will have the celebratory beer packed in the front of their vest. Adds boyancy when getting up. Makes a good toast when riding.

The most we had was 6 behind a '79 Nautique, 265 carb. And 6 beers.

Pulling how many?

No personal experience, but the Malibu brochure for 2005 shows how they tested the pylon to a simulated 2000 lbs of force. I'm not sure how many people that would equate to with the drag of pulling them up out of the water.

Pulling how many?

We were practicing for a comedy act in a ski show...We had nine people, each on one FAT show ski doing a beach start so you could argue we were half way up before we even started...A beach start meaning we were standing in about two feet of water...Incidentally, we were considered the skinny line, as the "phat" line was a different part of the act....All of us were attached to the pylon.

Good idea on separating the lines....

We were practicing for a comedy act in a ski show...We had nine people, each on one FAT show ski doing a beach start so you could argue we were half way up before we even started...A beach start meaning we were standing in about two feet of water...Incidentally, we were considered the skinny line, as the "phat" line was a different part of the act....All of us were attached to the pylon.

Good idea on separating the lines....

Heres the "Phat" line!!!

Heres the "Phat" line!!!

I count 17 - that is unreal! Are all the ropes attached to the pylon? Regardless I wouldn't want to be in that boat unless I was driving. Untangling that mess would make me go Crazy.gif.

I count 17 - that is unreal! Are all the ropes attached to the pylon? Regardless I wouldn't want to be in that boat unless I was driving. Untangling that mess would make me go Crazy.gif.

Everybody was on the same pylon, but not behind a Malibu. Our club has a Twin Rig show boat we use for Pyramids, Phat lines, etc. I am not certain how the pylon on the Twin Rig is secured, obviously it is secured well ;)

Everybody was on the same pylon, but not behind a Malibu. Our club has a Twin Rig show boat we use for Pyramids, Phat lines, etc. I am not certain how the pylon on the Twin Rig is secured, obviously it is secured well ;)

No doubt about it! Surprised.gif

Labor Day Weekend we tried 20 with a my 2000 SLXI. Didn't have the HP to pull all the adults. We did get up 14, mostly kids and a couple on wakeboards. See photo--only 13 there because one fell before we could get around for a photo! We are already scheming for next year--I do think we can do 20 with the right combo of line layout and experienced kid skiers. The line management is a nightmare!! We tied off to the two sides of the tower and some on the pylon.

It took almost as much time to accumulate 20 ski ropes as it did to get them all rigged up. We did a couple of dry land practices -- trying to get that many kids in the water all lined up at once is like herding cats...but we did it!

post-1270-126221307741_thumb.jpg

Edited by River Rat

What is a twin rig?

What is a twin rig?

Dual outboards like a Hydrodyne. The Minocqua show has one with a smiley face on the bottom for when it does "wheelies". We were trying to figure out what was under there until they did the power show after the break. 450 outboard horsepower on a boat that weighs next to nothing is pretty impressive.

Labor Day Weekend we tried 20 with a my 2000 SLXI. Didn't have the HP to pull all the adults. We did get up 14, mostly kids and a couple on wakeboards. See photo--only 13 there because one fell before we could get around for a photo! We are already scheming for next year--I do think we can do 20 with the right combo of line layout and experienced kid skiers. The line management is a nightmare!! We tied off to the two sides of the tower and some on the pylon.

It took almost as much time to accumulate 20 ski ropes as it did to get them all rigged up. We did a couple of dry land practices -- trying to get that many kids in the water all lined up at once is like herding cats...but we did it!

Awesome to get 14 up and skiing. That area of the Lake is great for skiing!

I pull 13 girl ballet line, 7 man team jumpers, 7 man barefoot line, 6 man wrap around the boat, been doing that for 5 years and 1000 hrs with no maintenace problems, ski pole is stock no mods.

that's flippen nuts - 14 up behind a single boat - I bet you spent more time laying out the rope then skiing (as indicated) - hats off! our christmas photo had four of us up-two on the tower two on the pylon - boat had no issues pulling but my poor kid sat in the water for 10 minutes waiting for the rest of us - worth it - but won't do it again... also last summer did 3 "heavyweights" (190lbs plus) men up behind an outback dd - worked fantastic till the clothesline took us out like bowling pins....

that's flippen nuts - 14 up behind a single boat - I bet you spent more time laying out the rope then skiing (as indicated) - hats off! our christmas photo had four of us up-two on the tower two on the pylon - boat had no issues pulling but my poor kid sat in the water for 10 minutes waiting for the rest of us - worth it - but won't do it again... also last summer did 3 "heavyweights" (190lbs plus) men up behind an outback dd - worked fantastic till the clothesline took us out like bowling pins....

Clothesline?? In the water? Huh???