Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Over Heated new Hammerhead Engine

Hi, I used my new boat 4 times, it is a LSV23 with a Hammerhead engine. I love this boat! After wakeboarding today I was flushing out the engine (running the engine with the hose connected) and one of my boys turned off the hose. I smelt an unusual smeel and saw smoke coming from the exhaust. I then noticed that the hose had been turned off so I quickly turned off the engine. I turned the water back on and started the engine and after about 30 seconds, smoke started coming from the exhaust again and the overheating alarm came up on the MaliView display. Can anyone tell me what this has done? I am very upset and will contact the company that sold me the boat tomorrow.

Is the boat new or just new to you? Did you see what the temp got up to before you shut it down? Any idea how long the water was shut off for? Did you let the boat sit and cool for a while and then start it up and did the alarm still come on? Hopefully you just smoked the impeller and the tranny cooler needs cleaned out, but I would still take it in to your dealer for further diagnosis.

Is the boat new or just new to you? Did you see what the temp got up to before you shut it down? Any idea how long the water was shut off for? Did you let the boat sit and cool for a while and then start it up and did the alarm still come on? Hopefully you just smoked the impeller and the tranny cooler needs cleaned out, but I would still take it in to your dealer for further diagnosis.

The boat is new, I did not see what temperature it got up too. The water was shut off for about 5 minutes. I let the boat sit for about 15 minutes before restarting it. I will contact the local distributor tomorrow. Thanks, I hope it is not a major issue, I will miss not being able to use the boat if it is out of service for a while :(

You melted your impeller at a minimum so it's not sucking up water anymore. If you're lucky that's all you did to the motor.

If you are unlucky you will find out quickly what B.O.A.T. stands for.

This is why I never leave the boat unattended when it's running on the fake-a-lake. I saw the damage done to an engine years ago at our local dealer when someone went in the house for 15 minutes while the boat ran in the driveway. Soon after he went in, the fake-a-lake fell over and overheated the engine.

I would make sure to take a good look at the exhaust hoses to make sure they are not melted/damaged.

Hi, I used my new boat 4 times, it is a LSV23 with a Hammerhead engine. I love this boat! After wakeboarding today I was flushing out the engine (running the engine with the hose connected) and one of my boys turned off the hose. I smelt an unusual smeel and saw smoke coming from the exhaust. I then noticed that the hose had been turned off so I quickly turned off the engine. I turned the water back on and started the engine and after about 30 seconds, smoke started coming from the exhaust again and the overheating alarm came up on the MaliView display. Can anyone tell me what this has done? I am very upset and will contact the company that sold me the boat tomorrow.

I hate to bust balls. I truly hope there was minimal damage done. But I would un-friend the guy who shut the water off. I never let anyone do on the boat what could cause damage. The owner of anything will always be more cautious than someone that has nothing to lose. Hope this serves as a lesson as well. And again I wish luck that it was only a few bucks in damage.

I hate to bust balls. I truly hope there was minimal damage done. But I would un-friend the guy who shut the water off. I never let anyone do on the boat what could cause damage. The owner of anything will always be more cautious than someone that has nothing to lose. Hope this serves as a lesson as well. And again I wish luck that it was only a few bucks in damage.

I don't think you're allowed to unfriend your son Biggrin.gif Good lucked to the OP, I'm betting you'll be ok but definately have it looked at.

Edited by Ndawg12

This may not be good.

Have the dealer or someone run a leak down or blow by test. also if nothing shows up run the boat and check the oil for water in the oil.

This is after the impeller is replaced.

also as blastrlx said check the exhaust hoses.

Hope all goes well.

This may not be good.

Have the dealer or someone run a leak down or blow by test. also if nothing shows up run the boat and check the oil for water in the oil.

This is after the impeller is replaced.

also as blastrlx said check the exhaust hoses.

Hope all goes well.

Exactly what I was thinking. I cracked a small block Chevy when I was 16 by adding cold water after overheating the truck. The radiator was dry and I was on the side of the road in a guys yard. He lent me a bucket and his hose so I filled the rad up with cold water and the next morning I has oil in the radiator. I ran it like that for a year and a half because it didn't affect the compression at all or the oil (no water in the pan ever). I would flush the radiator at least once every three weeks. What a pain and a hard lesson learned. :Doh: If I only would have waited an hour until the block cooled down before adding the water. Dontknow.gif

Hope you block is OK. Make sure your son knows the boat needs water when running and to never turn the hose off without asking dad!

Edited by martinarcher

I think there is a good chance that you will find you are OK... ...the engine wasn't running with any load, the "smoke" was just exhaust and steam (when the flow of water was turned off, the block was still full of water... the water boiled off as the engine kept running). The burning smell was the rubber impeller.

Fortunately, when you restarted the engine, not too much water would have been getting through to the block... the smoked impeller will become a restriction to flow... ...you are going to find pieces of rubber from the impeller in the oil cooler (again, providing a flow restriction).

Do this:

1) Remove the water pump assembly and go to the boat dealer to order the right rebuild kit. If you have a plastic housing, you'll need an entire assembly as it will be smoked also...

2) Remove the hoses to the oil cooler and fish out any pieces of rubber that you find there

3) I saw the posts about looking for water in the oil (spin off the filter and pour contents into clear bowl.. ..water will seperate on bottom... ...maybe do this now and do it again after you get the water pump rebuilt and run the engine at normal temperature... ...if you have problems, they could be: head gaskets/heads... I'm doubtful you would have any issues with block/pistons etc. while running no load in the driveway.

Good luck.

That's a bummer! What a gut wrenching moment I'm sure!

Besides replacing the impeller, make sure the muffler gets dropped down and inspected. With a catalyst exhaust it can get really hot with no water and if it fatigues the muffler enough you could get your exhaust blocked and have a possible hydro lock (water in your cylinders) issue while underway which is really bad.

One side note, if the engine is not below 160. You should never restart it and put cold water back thru it again. Cold water on hot aluminum heads and manifolds can twist and warp the metal potentially damaging it really bad.

Wish you the best and hope it gets repaired with no pain to the pocket book.

-Paul

I have had my 247 for awhile now and have never needed to flush the motor. If you are in fresh water there should be no need to do this and risk the problem. Water is TOO IMPORTANT to leave running unattended. You should have noticed the water not coming from the exhaust and the sound should have changed.