Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

towing cover

board brained

i thought there was a thread on this but could not find it when i searched so will ask again and if I have missed the thread could someone point me there.

is the malibu CS cover ok to tow with on the highway? or is it only a mooring cover?

they told me it would be ok for towing with however it looks thin and I do not want to damage the boat

I usually end up towing the boat couple thousand miles 6 or 7 times a year on trips up to lakes.

i thought there was a thread on this but could not find it when i searched so will ask again and if I have missed the thread could someone point me there.

is the malibu CS cover ok to tow with on the highway? or is it only a mooring cover?

they told me it would be ok for towing with however it looks thin and I do not want to damage the boat

I usually end up towing the boat couple thousand miles 6 or 7 times a year on trips up to lakes.

Evolutioncovers.com are the best covers you can buy period. The customer service and product are unmatched, Cory is awesome to work with.

The CS cover is more of a mooring cover.

Cory makes a awesome cover and is probably the best thing you can use for towing. Even custom covers can rash a boat when towed on the freeway so whenever you have the chance i would not tow with a cover. Especially with newer boats (08+), the gel-coat us much softer.

-Paul

I was told that I could tow with mine as well. I don't recommend it, as you'll find that it will scratch the gel. I have since ordered an Evolution.

I was told that I could tow with mine as well. I don't recommend it, as you'll find that it will scratch the gel. I have since ordered an Evolution.

I have towed with the cs cover, i just wrap the boat around the rub rail with pallet wrap plastic a couple few times. then put the cover on. The cover has no chance to rub the gel coat.

I don't know if your cover has straps, but if it does here are a few tricks to help with rubbing --

(I have the cover that came with the 2008 models - I intend to buy an Evolution cover, but can't swing it right now)

* twist the straps at least 1/2 turn, so they don't get into a resonance with the wind and rub the gel coat.

(this is also true with a bimini cover if you have the straps on it - it cuts off the vibration noise)

* cut a section of a pool noodle the right length, and then slide the tube over the strap so that the noodle is what is touching the boat. this works great. I bought a few velcro straps from Overtons (about 1" wide) and put one on the noodle in an area that won't touch the boat to be sure the noodle stays on.

I made several 600 mile round trips last summer and this setup worked well.

Rope Wrap

Edited by Soon2BV
martinarcher

I don't know if your cover has straps, but if it does here are a few tricks to help with rubbing --

(I have the cover that came with the 2008 models - I intend to buy an Evolution cover, but can't swing it right now)

* twist the straps at least 1/2 turn, so they don't get into a resonance with the wind and rub the gel coat.

(this is also true with a bimini cover if you have the straps on it - it cuts off the vibration noise)

* cut a section of a pool noodle the right length, and then slide the tube over the strap so that the noodle is what is touching the boat. this works great. I bought a few velcro straps from Overtons (about 1" wide) and put one on the noodle in an area that won't touch the boat to be sure the noodle stays on.

I made several 600 mile round trips last summer and this setup worked well.

Rope Wrap

I did that with pipe insulation on additional straps for my kayak rack that go from the front and rear of the boat to the frame of the car. They touch the paint as they wrap around the bumper and would certainly scratch it. The pipe insulation is very soft and saves the paint. Thumbup.gif

I did that with pipe insulation on additional straps for my kayak rack that go from the front and rear of the boat to the frame of the car. They touch the paint as they wrap around the bumper and would certainly scratch it. The pipe insulation is very soft and saves the paint. Thumbup.gif

What? No lamb's wool?

Cervelo's trick is da bomb. Works great. Cheap and easy.

the other thing i do is put that slightly sticky plastic they use on motor home and trailer floors in the showrooms along the ridges of the window so the tarp doesn't scratch the window frame. It comes in a 12" wide roll that i cut into narrower sections, again cheap and easy. peels off and doesn't leave a residue. a wider piece across the front of the tower and you don't have to worry about cleaning the bug guts off when you get there.

small pool noodles work for along the window ridges as well (probably the pipe insulation would work even better).

the other thing i do is put that slightly sticky plastic they use on motor home and trailer floors in the showrooms along the ridges of the window so the tarp doesn't scratch the window frame. It comes in a 12" wide roll that i cut into narrower sections, again cheap and easy. peels off and doesn't leave a residue. a wider piece across the front of the tower and you don't have to worry about cleaning the bug guts off when you get there.

small pool noodles work for along the window ridges as well (probably the pipe insulation would work even better).

Where would one buy that sticky tape stuff?

• 1 month later...

after a ton of research and talking to alot of people I just ordered an Evolution cover from Cory.......

wahhooooooooo....down the road we will be going

When I bought mine Cory asked if I was a member of TMC, then he cleared his throat and said I might want to become one :thumbup: And that's how I got here, and you're all stuck with me!!

Damn that Cory! :Tease3:

Damn that Cory! :Tease3:

:biggrin: Who else would have started classic threads like: "show off your kids" or "fill in the blank" or "what's the stupidest thing you ever tried pull" Without me you never would have met Mr. John Rozenboom!!! :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

Well just got the travel cover put on my Bu'! I hate having to put the snaps on it but, in Utah, the weather changes every half hour so. And it's an hour drive to any lake so, kind of force to throw one on.

DSC03435.jpg

DSC03434.jpg

DSC03433.jpg

DSC03432.jpg

And Last but not least, It was PERFECT weather allllllll week long, but soon as the day comes to take the boat in for the cover, this happens!

DSC03431.jpg

Only for about ten minutes it snowed, enough to make everything dirty as hell. Then right after we pulled it into the shop, it cleared right up for the rest of the day! Till it was time to go and pick it back up! Then no Bull$hit, it started snowing again on the drive home. Gooooo figure huh.

:biggrin: Who else would have started classic threads like: "show off your kids" or "fill in the blank" or "what's the stupidest thing you ever tried pull" Without me you never would have met Mr. John Rozenboom!!! :whistle:

Looks like I'm taking a drive to WA this weekend to smarten somebody up. :whistle:

Well just got the travel cover put on my Bu'! I hate having to put the snaps on it but, in Utah, the weather changes every half hour so. And it's an hour drive to any lake so, kind of force to throw one on.

And Last but not least, It was PERFECT weather allllllll week long, but soon as the day comes to take the boat in for the cover, this happens!

Only for about ten minutes it snowed, enough to make everything dirty as hell. Then right after we pulled it into the shop, it cleared right up for the rest of the day! Till it was time to go and pick it back up! Then no Bull$hit, it started snowing again on the drive home. Gooooo figure huh.

Looks good but, I think you're going a little too far with removing the tower just to tow the boat.

Looks nice. And I hear you on towing with it due to the changing weather. But I hope your not parking outside very often. We make a point to get covers that cover all the vents so that the boat doesn't fill up with bugs. Temps will be good & warm underneath there so when they get in, thats where they die. It gets plenty disgusting.

I have a Rankin that does both duties really well..... towable & covers all the vents & glass. Evolution has done a great job picking up where they left off. :rockon:

And testimonies on this forum will tell you over & over about how good their customer service is.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky