Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 Wake Pictures ???

pablo

J-Ro why would you rather ride behind a vlx than a 247? What makes the stock wake behind the vlx better than the 247? If the 247 has the same characteristics as the vlx but is just bigger than wouldnt that be better, especially if it isnt much wider?

Remember that just because a boat is heavier it doesn't mean it is going to throw a better wake. The 247 is also much longer than a VLX and a little wider too which will change the wake characteristics. A longer and wider boat will need more weight to weigh it down compared to a boat over 3 feet shorter. This can be seen in the capacity each boat can hold, a VLX can hold 1654 lbs while a 247 can hold 2400 lbs, a difference of 746 lbs. The 247 only has 200 more pounds of standard ballast. So all other things being equal it would seem that the VLX would have a better stock wake than the 247 because it can sink down lower pushing the wake up higher.

Remember that just because a boat is heavier it doesn't mean it is going to throw a better wake. The 247 is also much longer than a VLX and a little wider too which will change the wake characteristics. A longer and wider boat will need more weight to weigh it down compared to a boat over 3 feet shorter. This can be seen in the capacity each boat can hold, a VLX can hold 1654 lbs while a 247 can hold 2400 lbs, a difference of 746 lbs. The 247 only has 200 more pounds of standard ballast. So all other things being equal it would seem that the VLX would have a better stock wake than the 247 because it can sink down lower pushing the wake up higher.

Looks to me like the 247 weighs 500 lbs more than the 21 vlx. Load capacity is greater by 745. The gas tank holds twice the capacity at 84 gallons and I have got to believe the 8.1 liter engine ways alot more than the monsoon or the hammerhead. I just cant imagine the vlx having a bigger wake but i have never been in a 247 on the water.

Looks to me like the 247 weighs 500 lbs more than the 21 vlx. Load capacity is greater by 745. The gas tank holds twice the capacity at 84 gallons and I have got to believe the 8.1 liter engine ways alot more than the monsoon or the hammerhead. I just cant imagine the vlx having a bigger wake but i have never been in a 247 on the water.

Here is the shipping weights DRY of the three motors.

Shipping (crated) weight of an

8.1L V-drive is 1301 pounds

Monsoon VD is 1005

383 VD is 921

Any of the boats can make a "big" wake. My LSV could make a tall thick looking wake with the wedge at about 75% and just stock ballast. Unfortunately the more you bring the wedge up the wider the wakes get. At 75" withat set up you get tossed straight up, which is good, but the wakes are much wider apart. Trust me the wakes on a 23 are much wider all things equal. Malibu did something to the 247 that creates wakes that aren't much wider than the VLX (Stock everything). I think the extra length allowed them to pinch in the stern a little (Like a Nautique) giving a narrower wake than a boat that size should have. That is why you may hear some people describe the 247 as a larger VLX. It has the same wake characteristics of the VLX. The LSV just doesn't make a good wake without a lot of extra weight.

I am not here to argue I am just giving an opinion.

VLX - I ride behind this all the time and have since the hull change in '05. It is the best stock wake IMO.

LSV - I owned one. The main reason I sold it is that I didn't like the wakes.

247 - I have ridden behind this many times and it is a great wake and only gets better with every additional passenger. Fatties are always welcome on 247's.

+1

One theory that I've had is that if you look at where the wake off of a 247 forms up, it starts much farther behind the boat than what you'd normally see. I'm not sure what it is about the boat that creates that, but the net effect is that the wake is very narrow for it coming from a 24 1/2 foot boat. The wake from a 23' is much wider, apples for apples. Like J said, the VLX & 247 wake characteristics are very, very similar. The 23' is not.

Here is the shipping weights DRY of the three motors.

Shipping (crated) weight of an

8.1L V-drive is 1301 pounds

Monsoon VD is 1005

383 VD is 921

Thanks 06 vlx.

Edited by pablo

the 247 wake is the best wake ive ridden on.its rampy with the ballast filled and steep with the wedge down. the more people you have in the boat the better the wake. my friend has a vlx and another has the vtx. i would consider my wake about 1 1/2 - 2ft wider than there wakes. everytime i switch boats it takes acouple of jumps to get used to the narrower wake, even buddy perfers my wake over his own in the vlx.

Pablo, load capacity is the amount of weight that the boat can handle safely. The big difference in those shows the 247's design resists extra weight more than the VLX. for example the standard ballast on a VLX is about 75% of the load capacity (i know malibu already accounts for this) while the 247's load capacity is only 60% of its load capacity.

this just shows how it is easier to weigh a VLX down with less weight in order to create the ideal wake.

this ignores other factors and personal opinions

Mathematically the VLX will create a bigger wake easier, while the 247 has the potential to create a larger top end wake since it can handle much more weight (not many people will ever near the limits of either boat). I have ridden behind both boats, but like everybody else I did not have both boats with the same exact weight and the same exact conditions riding back to back. So taking other people's opinions is just that, opinions. ride both boats and make the choice. However, I will say if you are riding behind either boat you will have a great wake no matter what.