Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 Wake Pictures ???

pablo

Does anyone have any pictures of their wakeboarding wakes from a 247? Also Has the 247 hull changed since its debut in 06?

I was originally in the market for a 21 vlx and now I am trying to decide between a 23 lsv or a 247lsv. Is there much differnce in the two wakes? I will be looking at an 06 to 08 in both models. If i did go with the 247 would the hammerhead be enough engine or would i need the 8.1?

Thanks

Does anyone have any pictures of their wakeboarding wakes from a 247? Also Has the 247 hull changed since its debut in 06?

I was originally in the market for a 21 vlx and now I am trying to decide between a 23 lsv or a 247lsv. Is there much differnce in the two wakes? I will be looking at an 06 to 08 in both models. If i did go with the 247 would the hammerhead be enough engine or would i need the 8.1?

Thanks

I would say there is a pretty good difference between the boats but i wake boarded either (surfed both 06-07 and 09) The 247 has that much more displacement so i would say yes the wake is bigger but they tend to need more weight if you are running a short handed crew on the boat.

Both engines burn oil and the 8.1 drinks fuel so be aware of that. Performance wise if you were driving in the boat alone, the hammerhead will out perform the 8.1. If you plan on running a lot of people and a lot of weight all the time, the 8.1 is for you. Once the hammerhead gets loaded down you can tell it's working to try and keep up in the 247. One way to help is running low pitched prop on the boat to get your that extra torque you need when loaded down heavy.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either engine.

Good luck!

-Paul

Thanks

this is the surf wake.

buy the 247. if you dont you will wish you did. the room is great. the pro-riders that ride behind my boat all agree. the 247 wake is the best of all wakeboard boats. as for weighting down, we typically ride with all ballast full and the wedge down.

martinarcher

this is the surf wake.

buy the 247. if you dont you will wish you did. the room is great. the pro-riders that ride behind my boat all agree. the 247 wake is the best of all wakeboard boats. as for weighting down, we typically ride with all ballast full and the wedge down.

You forgot the pic! I know if it's Blue Thunders surf wake it's worth a look. Thumbup.gif

anyone have any wakeboard pics of the 247? The surf wake looks awesome. Is there much difference in the handling between the 23 lsv and the 24 lsv? It looks like the specs show that it only weighs 100 lbs more than the 23 so is it much worse on gas?

Ya that is a little wierd that they add over a foot and a half to the boat and only increase it by 100 pounds, but the VTX to VLX is a foot and a half difference and a chance of 200 pounds so I guess it makes sense.

why would the 23 lsv have a "meh" wake but the 247 would have a better wake? i am afraid to know what you think about my vlx wake.

He's hates the VLX wake w/ a passion...Acutally he's a closet Bayliner fan.Whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ridden behind both? I have, extensively. 23 LSV = wide wakes and needs a lot of extra weight. The 247 has a great wake out of the box. I would still rather ride behind a VLX though.

Does the 247 have a better stock wake than a stock VLX? It always seems to come down to those two boats when people are takling about great wakes.

Nevermind, I am assuming this is just one of those questions that can't be answered and comes down to opinion.

Edited by wakeboy

Have you ridden behind both? I have, extensively. 23 LSV = wide wakes and needs a lot of extra weight. The 247 has a great wake out of the box. I would still rather ride behind a VLX though.

That's right you better say that.....Crazy.gif

Why would you rather ride behind a vlx? What makes the wake better on a vlx than a 247?

Why would you rather ride behind a vlx? What makes the wake better on a vlx than a 247?

Might be cause it is a bigger boat, longer and wider. Designed to be the more social wakeboarding boat. Can handle more people but therefore probably takes more weight to weigh it down. I know some pros ride the 247 so it must throw a very good wake, but I know more pros ride the VLX too. Probably boils down to preference, money, convenience, and size constraints.

Pablo if you want to see the difference in the wake pics look at this website. You will probably not notice a difference in the 23 vs 247 all things being equal. If either boat has the 8.1L motor vs a smaller motor in the other boat for comparison the wake will be bigger on the boat with the 8.1 as it wieghs approx #400 more than the HH motor and approx #200 more than the monsoon.

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2009/12/14/malibu-wakesetter-23-lsv-2010/

You can click on what ever model of boat you want to see the wake detail.

Edit: Forgot to mention the above comparison is valid for the 23 lsv 08'+.

Edited by 06vlx

Pablo if you want to see the difference in the wake pics look at this website. You will probably not notice a difference in the 23 vs 247 all things being equal. If either boat has the 8.1L motor vs a smaller motor in the other boat for comparison the wake will be bigger on the boat with the 8.1 as it wieghs approx #400 more than the HH motor and approx #200 more than the monsoon.

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2009/12/14/malibu-wakesetter-23-lsv-2010/

You can click on what ever model of boat you want to see the wake detail.

Edit: Forgot to mention the above comparison is valid for the 23 lsv 08'+.

thanks for the link!! It looks to me like the 23 lsv has a bigger or steeper wake than the 247 from their wake pics. How could the 23 lsv have a bigger wake? Wouldnt the bigger boat displace more water? Maybe it is just the angle of the picture or the speed they were going? I looked at the earlier years on the same webpage and the pictures were totally different. In 2008 the 247 wake looks huge and perfectly shaped. It looks bigger than the 23lsv and the 21 vlx. Looking back at the 2006 wake pictures the 247 looks enormous and much bigger than the 23 and 21!! I know that the hull has changed on the 23 and 21 since then however.

thanks for the link!! It looks to me like the 23 lsv has a bigger or steeper wake than the 247 from their wake pics. How could the 23 lsv have a bigger wake? Wouldnt the bigger boat displace more water? Maybe it is just the angle of the picture or the speed they were going? I looked at the earlier years on the same webpage and the pictures were totally different. In 2008 the 247 wake looks huge and perfectly shaped. It looks bigger than the 23lsv and the 21 vlx. Looking back at the 2006 wake pictures the 247 looks enormous and much bigger than the 23 and 21!! I know that the hull has changed on the 23 and 21 since then however.

I think you need to take those pictures with a grain of salt. A lot of factors could be playing into the size and shape of the wake at that exact moment the picture is taken. The only true way to really compare the wakes is to drive the boat and ride the wakes. Speed, ballast, conditions, water depth, water temperature, load, and many other factors could be in play.

Couple notes on the boats. They both have the same beam as of 08' the 247 is just 1'-7" longer. The 247 only weighs in 100 lbs more than the 23 and also has only 100 lbs more ballast capacity at 1450 vs the 1350 on the 23. All things being identical (especially engine because of the rear weight) they should be pretty close. The 23lsv will take less weight to sink it due to it's smaller size.

Edit: Poor spelling

Edited by 06vlx

Any of the boats can make a "big" wake. My LSV could make a tall thick looking wake with the wedge at about 75% and just stock ballast. Unfortunately the more you bring the wedge up the wider the wakes get. At 75" withat set up you get tossed straight up, which is good, but the wakes are much wider apart. Trust me the wakes on a 23 are much wider all things equal. Malibu did something to the 247 that creates wakes that aren't much wider than the VLX (Stock everything). I think the extra length allowed them to pinch in the stern a little (Like a Nautique) giving a narrower wake than a boat that size should have. That is why you may hear some people describe the 247 as a larger VLX. It has the same wake characteristics of the VLX. The LSV just doesn't make a good wake without a lot of extra weight.

I am not here to argue I am just giving an opinion.

VLX - I ride behind this all the time and have since the hull change in '05. It is the best stock wake IMO.

LSV - I owned one. The main reason I sold it is that I didn't like the wakes.

247 - I have ridden behind this many times and it is a great wake and only gets better with every additional passenger. Fatties are always welcome on 247's.

Any of the boats can make a "big" wake. My LSV could make a tall thick looking wake with the wedge at about 75% and just stock ballast. Unfortunately the more you bring the wedge up the wider the wakes get. At 75" withat set up you get tossed straight up, which is good, but the wakes are much wider apart. Trust me the wakes on a 23 are much wider all things equal. Malibu did something to the 247 that creates wakes that aren't much wider than the VLX (Stock everything). I think the extra length allowed them to pinch in the stern a little (Like a Nautique) giving a narrower wake than a boat that size should have. That is why you may hear some people describe the 247 as a larger VLX. It has the same wake characteristics of the VLX. The LSV just doesn't make a good wake without a lot of extra weight.

I am not here to argue I am just giving an opinion.

VLX - I ride behind this all the time and have since the hull change in '05. It is the best stock wake IMO.

LSV - I owned one. The main reason I sold it is that I didn't like the wakes.

247 - I have ridden behind this many times and it is a great wake and only gets better with every additional passenger. Fatties are always welcome on 247's.

J-Ro why would you rather ride behind a vlx than a 247? What makes the stock wake behind the vlx better than the 247? If the 247 has the same characteristics as the vlx but is just bigger than wouldnt that be better, especially if it isnt much wider?