Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010s

Bill_AirJunky

After riding in the 2010 VLX, and going for a drag behind it weighted down, just thought I'd jot down a few first impressions.

I've been a huge Illusion hater for the most part. Their noisy, bouncy & more "stylish" than function in my book. But the new G3 that Titan has built is a major step in the right direction. It's sturdy as can be. And I like that they simplified it by replacing the garage door springs with the gas shocks. Loved the above the tower bimini that I can stand up under at 6'1". Seems like the design will make mounting things to it very easy.

AirSanta0905.jpg

This VLX had the Soundpack 2 with no headunit. No stupid arm rest cover over the stereo. Sounded good and had all the MP3/Ipod inputs in the glovebox. Simple & clean.

Very glad to hear a positive review on the G3 from a Sky Skier. You guys know how to test a tower. Biggrin.gif The looks of the tower have certainly grown on me. I wasn't a fan after seeing it the first time as it didn't look as sleek as the old Illusions, but I really like the tower now and the positive reviews on strength and rigidity have certainly made it sound like a winner. Nice job Malibu. Rockon.gif I can't wait to see what they will come out with now that they own Titan.

The tower is growing on me. I don't like how it seems to be made out of the same material as the Axis tower, but with shiny tubing added. Bimini looks a bit funny and too low in the back. But honestly, I don't don't care what it looks like, as long as it does the job and it's sturdy, which Malibu has been the best in the biz.....

After riding in the 2010 VLX, and going for a drag behind it weighted down, just thought I'd jot down a few first impressions.

I've been a huge Illusion hater for the most part. Their noisy, bouncy & more "stylish" than function in my book. But the new G3 that Titan has built is a major step in the right direction. It's sturdy as can be. And I like that they simplified it by replacing the garage door springs with the gas shocks. Loved the above the tower bimini that I can stand up under at 6'1". Seems like the design will make mounting things to it very easy.

AirSanta0905.jpg

This VLX had the Soundpack 2 with no headunit. No stupid arm rest cover over the stereo. Sounded good and had all the MP3/Ipod inputs in the glovebox. Simple & clean.

Thanks for the tower review :unsure: . How about a little on your experience behind a weighted down 2010, we already know you're an illusion hater.

Edited by 06vlx

Thanks for the tower review :unsure: . How about a little on your experience behind a weighted down 2010, we already know you're an illusion hater.

Hmmm, someone not happy with what I put in writing? Sorry you don't agree.

Frankly I wrote about good things that I considered an upgrade from the 09s. I believe the bulk of the rest of the boat is the same as the 09s. Same hull, same windshield, 350 hp Monsoon with Cats, Mux switches. They did change up the glovebox door a bit. This was the first time I ever rode in the boat with that windshield when it was cold out. I was surprised, but they didn't make it drafty at all.

I believe there is a change with the shifter linkage due to a change to an Indmar transmission. But I didn't get to drive much so I can't really give any details on that.

The wake was sweet.... as usual. I ride with all the ballast full, no wedge. It's not changed this year so not much to say about it.

Hmmm, someone not happy with what I put in writing? Sorry you don't agree.

Frankly I wrote about good things that I considered an upgrade from the 09s. I believe the bulk of the rest of the boat is the same as the 09s. Same hull, same windshield, 350 hp Monsoon with Cats, Mux switches. They did change up the glovebox door a bit. This was the first time I ever rode in the boat with that windshield when it was cold out. I was surprised, but they didn't make it drafty at all.

I believe there is a change with the shifter linkage due to a change to an Indmar transmission. But I didn't get to drive much so I can't really give any details on that.

The wake was sweet.... as usual. I ride with all the ballast full, no wedge. It's not changed this year so not much to say about it.

Not everyone has these issues you claim are prone on the Illusions either. Must be a foiler thing. Stereo is the same as 09's as well.

Edited by 06vlx

Not everyone has these issues you claim are prone on the Illusions either. Must be a foiler thing. Stereo is the same as 09's as well.

Uh, doubt that. Ask your dealer, I did.

Stereo is a change from other Malibus, which is the HU under the arm rest.

BTW, it's not a foiler thing. It's a rider thing. Foilers just happen to be bigger than your average rider, maybe because we have a 30 lb anchor strapped to our butt, but maybe because we tend to be bigger, older guys in general.... who don't tend to let go when landing a trick for the first few times..... and put a LOT of stress on a tower. So I didn't pull any punches with your tower. I'm not here to validate anything. Metcraft has made crap towers for years. Tige's & Calabrias used to come with a Metcraft that fell apart too easily. Wonder why they moved on.

It's an opinion. Treat it like one. And move on....

AirSanta0905.jpg

Very nice looking wakesetter. I've been looking for a VLX shot on the water with the '10 tower. Is that from the Yacht Club in Coeur D' Alene?

I didn't like the new tower until I saw one at the dealer. The '09 tower had been my all time favorite so far. IMO the G3 fits the lines of the boat better (in person). Looks very sturdy as well. I think the tower bolts may be a problem as they fasten upside down. I liked the bimini deployed but hated it stored. We ordered our first VLX without one.

AirSanta0905.jpg

One hot looking boat on the water! That tower looks g-u-d.... gooooooood (with a southern twang) Biggrin.gif

Malibu hasn't had the stereo head unit under the arm rest since 2007. 08-09-2010 all utilize the same JBL system. In 2009 They moved it to the lower front left on the dash instead of the walk thru.

-Paul

A couple of things I noticed on the new Bimini. It is about as long as the earlier Illusion Bimini with the zipped on extension. The new Bimini has a zipper running from the tow ball to the back of the Bimini. The zipper allows you to reach up through it to hook the tow rope on the tow ball easier. It also angles down a bit in the back to help keep the tow rope off the rear edge. Thumbup.gif

I like the tower. IMO, It was time for a change.

Uh, doubt that. Ask your dealer, I did.

Surprised they would tell you that every single illusion tower has issues.

Stereo is a change from other Malibus, which is the HU under the arm rest.

None of them have had a head unit since 2008.

BTW, it's not a foiler thing. It's a rider thing. Foilers just happen to be bigger than your average rider, maybe because we have a 30 lb anchor strapped to our butt, but maybe because we tend to be bigger, older guys in general.... who don't tend to let go when landing a trick for the first few times..... and put a LOT of stress on a tower. So I didn't pull any punches with your tower. I'm not here to validate anything. Metcraft has made crap towers for years. Tige's & Calabrias used to come with a Metcraft that fell apart too easily. Wonder why they moved on.

It's an opinion. Treat it like one. And move on....

I think the new tower will be a big hit. It has really grown on our staff and our customers. Let's hope Malibu keeps up the good work they have done with it so far.

A couple of things I noticed on the new Bimini. It is about as long as the earlier Illusion Bimini with the zipped on extension. The new Bimini has a zipper running from the tow ball to the back of the Bimini. The zipper allows you to reach up through it to hook the tow rope on the tow ball easier. It also angles down a bit in the back to help keep the tow rope off the rear edge. Thumbup.gif

I like the tower. IMO, It was time for a change.

Great idea! I have short arms and always have a tough time reaching from the back of the bimini to the tow ball.

Surprised they would tell you that every single illusion tower has issues.

Interesting how you have it twisted in your mind to fit your agenda. This is not at all what the dealers have said, nor what I have said.

Move on. Theres a new boat in town. I'm just giving some details on what I liked about it's new features.

Yea I think I like the tower, it's just the graphics I hate... Wonder what it would look like if they had waited to change that and still went with the 09 "transformer" ones

Interesting how you have it twisted in your mind to fit your agenda. This is not at all what the dealers have said, nor what I have said.

Move on. Theres a new boat in town. I'm just giving some details on what I liked about it's new features.

ROFL.gif

It's funny how things grow on you. How many remember when the first towers showed up on boats, I think I have used words like monkey bar, swing set, roll cage. Then next thing you know I had one. I even thought the first Illusion towers were lame, & now I would not own a BU without one. BTW I do like the new tower, It is growing on me......