Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who does your service on your boat?

Bake's Marine

Who does your maintenance?   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do your own service, maintenance, repairs?

• Yes, I do all.
    • Yes, I do partial. Save the hard stuff for the dealer / shop.
    • No, I don't do anything.
  2. 2. Do you install your own accessories?

• Yes, I do all.
    • Yes, I do partial. Save the hard stuff for the dealer / shop.
    • No, I don't do anything.
  3. 3. Why do you or don't you do your own work?

• Dealer /shop too expensive to see the value in them doing it
    • Don't trust somebody else to do it / Bad Relationship with dealer
    • Dealer too far away
    • Dealer went out of business
    • Too easy to pay somebody to do it
    • I don't trust anybody doing it other than the dealer
    • Trying to save money
    • Don't have the time, and have easy access to the dealership
    • Don't know how to do it myself
    • I'm just going to have the boat serviced at the dealer during my warranty period. After that i will do it myself

I was curious to see how many do-it-yourself people frequent the Crew site.

If i missed your "option" post it in this thread.

-Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine

If it's warranty of course I'll let them do it. I thought I had a fuel leak once, I couldn't locate anything so I let them look at it and they didn't find anything either. Other than that, I do all my own work with the help of TMC!!

two to three hour drive one way for the dealer, there is a local shop that has a good reputation real close that I use for parts and advice. Most of the stuff reall is not that hard (DD). If I had to chage the impeller on a v drive I might have different thoughts.

I trust My Dealer, their great. but I'm a decent mechanic and don't mind doing things myself, also I'm pretty anal and like to spend the extra time on details and cleaning anything I'm working on. Heck all the outlet or switch cover plates in My house have the screws clocked and I even clean the shocks on My truck. Yes, I know I have issues. Crazy.gif

I trust My Dealer, their great. but I'm a decent mechanic and don't mind doing things myself, also I'm pretty anal and like to spend the extra time on details and cleaning anything I'm working on. Heck all the outlet or switch cover plates in My house have the screws clocked and I even clean the shocks on My truck. Yes, I know I have issues. Crazy.gif

Ooh, that's one of mine too, are you a 9-3 or a 12-6 guy??!!

Edited by Ndawg12

Plus1.gif OK not all the outlet or switch cover plates in My house have the screws clocked and I even clean the shocks on My truck.

I do all our boat work myself. I've always been a DIY guy. I guess my dad is, and I picked it up from him. I grew up sitting on the side of dad's creeper while he wrenched on the cars. If you have an interest and a good teacher you can certainly learn auto/boat maintenance.

I've got an old boat and am doing it on a budget...trying to save one from eventual scrap. And its all pretty easy on a '94 DD. And the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. And I would probably do it myself anyway to make sure it's done right. Is there a multi-vote option?

It depends, 2 hole or more cover plates I do 9-3, singles get the 12-6 configuration.

Everyone knows that to properly adhere to the principles of Feng Shei (sp?) all plate screws inh the entire house MUST be 12-6, other wise the house will be just wrong.

I do all my own work on the boat and cars and motorcyles and ATVs and snowmobiles and etc. I do it becasue I am fiscally repsonsible and I like to stay in touch with the machines to spot stuff going wrong before it does.

Edited by Baddog

I don't have a Malibu dealer anywhere near me but do have an excellent small, private repair shop. Just from a cost standpoint, I do myself what I can. The good news is that this has been such a great boat I have had very few repairs that needed to be done.

It depends, 2 hole or more cover plates I do 9-3, singles get the 12-6 configuration.

Don't you know that doing them different can cause a short?

They should ALL be 12-6.

Wow, some people ... ROFL.gif

Don't you know that doing them different can cause a short?

They should ALL be 12-6.

Wow, some people ... ROFL.gif

You guys make me feel normal, that's worth the 50 bucks I spend here every year.

Except that over your head brake line, eh? Tease2.gif

Hey! I did a lot of the work on that. I only used my friend because he felt so guilty about all the money I spend on boat maintenance, slip fee, insurance etc and he getting all the ski priveleges. SPhlttt!!!

Paul, you do partial and leave the hard stuff for the shop?

I would have thought all the service on your boat would be done by the shop.

:) ha-ha... i wanted to vote but I had a hard time because when I had my Malibu I did everything but i did it in the shop because i worked there so I guess i should of had my own category Biggrin.gif So i thought about my truck, I wouldn't do my alignment, clutch, timing belt etc. but i would do brakes, fluids changes, etc. Well i did install a supercharger on my own so i guess i have my moments when I'm motivated? Still that's my truck and not my boat.

So i guess i voted that one wrong, thanks for calling me out! Tease.gif

-Paul

After the mechanic at the local dealer told me that my motor was running ok (on an inspection when buying it second hand from a third party), I didn't agree so I asked him to take off the heads and have a look. Turns out it had a broken piston, bent rod and damaged V drive & gearbox. Insurance covered an install as it was caused by an accident by the previous owner (Brand new engine & V drive and reco gearbox) and the Malibu Dealer done the work. After the install it was still vibrating and running poorly. The response I got was "maybe the bigger engines are surpose to run abit rough" the problem was they installed the engine and drive train more than 0.030" out of alignment. Thanks to you guys in trouble shooting and fixing this problem it is now running well. I am very reluctant to let them near the boat again!!! Self maintanained boat or Mastercraft dealer (to keep Indmar warranty on new engine) looking very attractive.