Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Filling a fatsack from the centre ballast fill pump???

Nicvtx

Ok guys I have a question, is it possible to put a t-valve off the centre tank fill pump hose, to fill up at fatsack. So say once the centre tank has filled up you can just direct the water through the valve to a hose going too the fatsack,

I went out to the boat yeterday and couldn't figure out which is the fill hose, the fill pump is screwed to the hull so I know which is the fill pump, but the hose for the fill goes off into a loop out fast the fibecs stringers. I will post up at photo in an hour or so.

If that whole thing makes sense ?

Thanks Nic

Ok guys I have a question, is it possible to put a t-valve off the centre tank fill pump hose, to fill up at fatsack. So say once the centre tank has filled up you can just direct the water through the valve to a hose going too the fatsack,

I went out to the boat yeterday and couldn't figure out which is the fill hose, the fill pump is screwed to the hull so I know which is the fill pump, but the hose for the fill goes off into a loop out fast the fibecs stringers. I will post up at photo in an hour or so.

Thanks Nic

No reason that wouldn't work. I fill two bags off of one pump on our boat. Usually they both fill at the same rate, but if a kink in the hose prevents one from filling up with the other, the water naturally diverts to the empty bag due to the higher pressure in the full bag. We also put ball valves at each bag so you can drain/fill only one bag if we want to surf. It works great. Thumbup.gif

Thanks Nic

the fill line comes off the pump and does a high loop so the bag does not self fill just from the water pressure.

any line going to the rear sac should have a loop in it as well.

should work though.

will the pump be powerfull enough to push the water up through the hose to the bow. to fill a sack up their??

so instead of mounting right near the pump, i should do it when the loop comes back to the tank?

and i like the look of that directional valve.

realisticly i couldnt stuff this up if i tried. i just put a cut in the line and attack the directional vlave then fasten it down with the stainless steel fasteners,

Edited by Nicvtx

will the pump be powerfull enough to push the water up through the hose to the bow. to fill a sack up their??

so instead of mounting right near the pump, i should do it when the loop comes back to the tank?

and i like the look of that directional valve.

realisticly i couldnt stuff this up if i tried. i just put a cut in the line and attack the directional vlave then fasten it down with the stainless steel fasteners,

Shouldn't be a issue, i think these pumps can do 5-7 feet vertical rise, keep in mind the higher you go, the slower and long it will take to fill.

One piece of advice though, your center ballast tank all ready takes a really long time to fill. Doing a valve or splitting the fill will just make it take longer to operate. If i were you i would just plumb in a fill and drain in the bow. That valve system works awesome for the rear and bow ballast tanks because they are so small. The center is the tough one to T off of.

-Paul

I have my ski locker pump set up like that.

First I replaced the Rule 700gph with a Rule 1100gph.

The out for the the 1100gph is 1"id so I have a very short 2-3" 1"id hose coming off the pump then a 1"barb to 3/4" thread fitting.

Then a Gilmour high volume splitter (from Lowes garden dept)screws onto that. The 2 out end of that splitter has an on off valve so I direct it either to fill the ski locker sac or the auxillary. I have a hose that I put on the aux side and I can fill anything in the cabin.

Edited by Brad B

hey paul,

i dont have the bow tank so this is why im doing this, it will be one at a time, i will fill the centre tank first, then i will do the sack

If you don't have the bow tank you should still have the thru hull there where the pump would be right? If so just get a pump and valve and install it there, then thread your drain pump into your bag and run your drain line and vent line if you choose to vent.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely install two new pumps for filling and draining the new bag. The incremental increase in cost isn't much compared to the total price, and from a performance and convenience standpoint you'll be really glad you did.