Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sun Banks Lake Resort?

FlatH20

Lovelovelove Banks Lake. It's sweet. Great scenery, good camping, and great water. SunBanks itself is a funky cool lodge & cabins. Always wanted to stay in their Lago Del Sol Villas. But we usually camp. Have stayed in a couple of the big houses on the bluff too & their nice. Good water access, with slip rentals or lots of places to tie up. Their a little pricy & the mosquitos can be insane. But then again, they have it all right there.

The best riding is about 5 miles west by Steamboat Rock. Theres usually places to hide from any wind. And if their is no riding to be done, There are several small, deep bays to kick back, do some rock jumping, or test the acoustics of the rocks Yahoo.gif

IMG_0035.jpg

Make reservations early. Summer months book up solid. Theres also SteamBoat Rock State Park. Crowds there can be nuts. And back by Electric City is Coulee Playland. Never stayed there & it's the cooold end of the lake. We usually drop in at the State Park & go boat camp on some private beach on the lake. You have to bring EVERYTHING, but it's worth it.

VrideSteamboatthrutent.jpg

Oh, and be sure you take the time to take the dam tour. It's the biggest slab of concrete in the world.... or used to be anyway.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I've stayed in the lakefront cabins (no better than camping really) and the villas. The villas are sweet. Lake is awesome, watch out for the rocks. You can almost always find flat water some where on that lake, it's huge. I've been there the last 4 summers and think it's great.

Roosevelt is cool too. I haven't found the coolest spot yet, but am told by some friends that they know where it is.

They have houseboats on Roosevelt, which Banks doesn't have. But their kinda ghetto, not nearly as nice as the ones at Shasta or Havasu.

Really weird event on Roosevelt last summer. They had an avalanche on one side cause a tsunami on the far side. The wave was like 6' high & wiped out a lot of campable area.

I went Memorial weekend at steamboat rock state park.. it perfct lake n it was bigger.. good for wakeboard n surf... FYI Banks lake is 12% bigger than Lake Washington

We usually go as a large group and camp each year. A bunch stay in tents and some with campers and trailers get sites with hook ups. We try and get the whole section just to the right of the boat launch. There is a great little cove right there and we just pull up and anchor the boats right there at the campsites.

Depending on the weather it can be the best or the worst time of your life. The wind can get crazy.

Roosevelt is cool too. I haven't found the coolest spot yet, but am told by some friends that they know where it is.

They have houseboats on Roosevelt, which Banks doesn't have. But their kinda ghetto, not nearly as nice as the ones at Shasta or Havasu.

Really weird event on Roosevelt last summer. They had an avalanche on one side cause a tsunami on the far side. The wave was like 6' high & wiped out a lot of campable area.

I didn't hear about that, that would have been a sweet surf wave to catch!! I'm not sure how I would react if was in the boat and that happened!

-Paul

This article is saying that wave was 30' high. They are not really clarifying if they measured that from the wave washing 30' up in elevation on the other side, or if they actually have a measurement of the wave height.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/02/inland-tsunami-lake-roosevelt-national-recreation-area-wasnt-first-its-kind

Edit - OK, my bad, this one is from January 2009, there was another that I believe BAJ is referring to August 25th 2009 here:

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/08/another-inland-tsunami-damages-facilities-lake-roosevelt-national-recreation-area4469

A quote from the article (quoting something else in the article...)

April-August 1953 – Landslides originating in Reed Terrace caused waves in the lake at least 11 different times. The largest wave to hit the opposite shore was 65 feet high and observed six miles away. Velocity of one of the series of waves was about 45 miles per hour.

Edited by MalibuTime

This article is saying that wave was 30' high. They are not really clarifying if they measured that from the wave washing 30' up in elevation on the other side, or if they actually have a measurement of the wave height.

http://www.nationalp...-first-its-kind

Edit - OK, my bad, this one is from January 2009, there was another that I believe BAJ is referring to August 25th 2000 here:

http://www.nationalp...eation-area4469

A quote from the article (quoting something else in the article...)

April-August 1953 – Landslides originating in Reed Terrace caused waves in the lake at least 11 different times. The largest wave to hit the opposite shore was 65 feet high and observed six miles away. Velocity of one of the series of waves was about 45 miles per hour.

I'm glad we don't have to worry about that on Sammamish! Wow!

-Paul

I'm glad we don't have to worry about that on Sammamish! Wow!

-Paul

You got it, MalibuTime. This is what I remember about it. We haven't made it back there yet to see it but plan on it this spring.

I had heard that it had happened before. Crazy.

Hey Paul,

Know where the sunken forest is by Timberlake Park? Where the old ski jump used to be. Time to go look around & see why it's like that.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky