Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help - Tower Tow Ball

Blindside_137

I noticed earlier today that the chrome finish on the tower tow ball is flaking off. Hard little metal pieces of the finish bend out and easily get clipped by a rag when I wipe down the tower and can easily scratch into the paint or get caught in a foot/toe if it lands on the floor and isn't cleaned up. So i've been extremely careful around the area to be sure that doesn't happen. The boat is kept outside under a covered boat house in North Carolina weather so I don't think it's a weathering issue.

We just had the tow ball replaced less than a year ago because the original was horrible. Now this one is showing signs of flaking... Any of you experienced this problem or know of any solutions? It sucks but it seems like no matter how nice something is there's always a little peice that isn't quite as nice..

I noticed earlier today that the chrome finish on the tower tow ball is flaking off. Hard little metal pieces of the finish bend out and easily get clipped by a rag when I wipe down the tower and can easily scratch into the paint or get caught in a foot/toe if it lands on the floor and isn't cleaned up. So i've been extremely careful around the area to be sure that doesn't happen. The boat is kept outside under a covered boat house in North Carolina weather so I don't think it's a weathering issue.

We just had the tow ball replaced less than a year ago because the original was horrible. Now this one is showing signs of flaking... Any of you experienced this problem or know of any solutions? It sucks but it seems like no matter how nice something is there's always a little peice that isn't quite as nice..

Dang that's pretty bad if your second tow ball on an 08' is going. I would call Malibu - that's pretty bad! I know my Titan tow ball is all machined stainless and has been totally maintenance free.

I wonder if anyone sells a solid stainless two ball. Just an idea, but you might be able to get a really 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" stainless truck tow ball and have a machine shop machine it to work with your tower.

Edited by martinarcher

Not sure where you are in North Carolina but do you have Salt water corrosion?

If you do have corrosion issues I would see if Malibu can replace with a stainless tow spool. If they don't i would remove yours and take the rest of the chrome off and polish it or have it powder coated.

Good luck

-Paul

Not sure what dealer you're working with but I talked to a guy at Power Sports in Mooresville, NC about the same issue and he said it shouldn't be a problem. My tow ball is corroding, on a couple tower feet the chrome is flaking off, and my 2 chrome malibu emblems on the gunnels are pitted. He said bring it in before the warranty expires in April and they'll get it taken care of.

Ndawg, we are with Grandpa's Marine in Greensboro.

There is no salt water corrosion in the area. The boat is kept on Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border.

I'll get in touch with the dealer soon because we're taking it in around march for a gelcoat warranty repair and I'll see if they can get their hands on a stainless ball.. Otherwise I'll pop it off strip it down and have it powdercoated or something.

Thanks everyone!

• 5 months later...

I was going through the site and noticed your post from two years ago. I have a 2007 anniversary edition 247 LSV and it is in mint condition (not a scratch on it). It is kept under a cover in a an enclosed RV shed and the chrome on my tow ball on my tower is peeling off. We are in the middle of Louisiana and the boat is in fresh water only. Additionally, it is cleaned after every trip and waxed regularly. Did you ever get a solution for your boat and where would I get another tow ball?

Edited by DHixson