Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Cleats

Epicman

I bought an old Malibu. Love the boat but its missing a few things that would make my life easier... like cleats. Ive been pricing them and the pop-ups are so much more expensive than the standard cleats are. Are the pop-ups necessary? Will the standard ones work? Ive seen what looks like plastic, maybe nylon, cleats. Will those work alright? or is it necessary to have the steel cleats? Any info you guys/girls could provide would be appreciated. Thanx!

Pop ups in the rear are far less likely to snag the tow rope when you are pulling skiers, boarders, etc. I thought that the nylon ones were usually smaller/ lighter duty, and used to hang fenders from.

I bought an old Malibu. Love the boat but its missing a few things that would make my life easier... like cleats. Ive been pricing them and the pop-ups are so much more expensive than the standard cleats are. Are the pop-ups necessary? Will the standard ones work? Ive seen what looks like plastic, maybe nylon, cleats. Will those work alright? or is it necessary to have the steel cleats? Any info you guys/girls could provide would be appreciated. Thanx!

pull up cleats are the way to go. If cost is a factor, consider only getting 2 for the side you tie up to.

edit: i see they are fairly expensive:

Discount Marine has them for $40.00

this one on ebay is only $30.00

I've never had pop up cleats until the Bu and managed to survive. So if cost is an option I would make sure you spend your money on stainless steel cleats and bolts, and skip the pop up. Otherwise, go for pop ups.

I've never had pop up cleats until the Bu and managed to survive. So if cost is an option I would make sure you spend your money on stainless steel cleats and bolts, and skip the pop up. Otherwise, go for pop ups.

good point.