Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mastercraft X-25

skurfer

You know, with the economy the way it's been for over a year, maybe two years now, I would have thought that some more simple, lower priced boats would be coming out now.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think a $75k boat is in my 2010. Dontknow.gif

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_AirJunky

• wakeboy

• hco

• skurfer

I think it's ridiculous that a typically appointed VLX is in the 6 figure category. This is, of course, according to MSRP which, I guess, nobody cares about.

This sounds like a typical biased look towards the boat. Again, what creature comforts do you think, and have some kind of proof to support this opinion, will break and wear out? Less is more, yes, but you can get MC's without crazy tower video cameras and stuff like that.

Price wise with some options you'll be looking at 75kish. This number also seems ridiculous to you as a response owner, but there is alot more boat than a response with alot more features that actually make the boat useful for anything beyond waterskiing (I own a response as well, and the boat sucks to entertain with, wakeboard with, and wakesurf with, although you can 'do' all of the aforementioned).

Sorry, bro...I am biased against MC because they are overpriced for what you get IMO. This is a Malibu board, right?

It is a bit gimicky. I stand by that.

I deal cars, so I am just conditioned to the notion that more options are just more stuff to break. In my opinion, wear and tear on a boat is harder than that of a car.

The armrests in the bow will be the first to go (and probably take thier mounting surface with them). There is an endless array of hinges and support rods that will wear with time (many that could cause fiberglass damage when they go), just like the handfull of hinges and locks on my 2006 model have worn over time. Fortunately, there are just a handful to replace.

I own a Response LXi because it runs like a Porsche on the water. I am a car guy first and a boat guy second. Performance is paramount to me and that does not always mean wake performance. Power Wedge gives me the option to board and skate. Someone else can entertain on their Bayliner...that is not what I bought the boat for.

Sorry, bro...I am biased against MC because they are overpriced for what you get IMO. This is a Malibu board, right?

It is a bit gimicky. I stand by that.

I deal cars, so I am just conditioned to the notion that more options are just more stuff to break. In my opinion, wear and tear on a boat is harder than that of a car.

The armrests in the bow will be the first to go (and probably take thier mounting surface with them). There is an endless array of hinges and support rods that will wear with time (many that could cause fiberglass damage when they go), just like the handfull of hinges and locks on my 2006 model have worn over time. Fortunately, there are just a handful to replace.

I own a Response LXi because it runs like a Porsche on the water. I am a car guy first and a boat guy second. Performance is paramount to me and that does not always mean wake performance. Power Wedge gives me the option to board and skate. Someone else can entertain on their Bayliner...that is not what I bought the boat for.

I do understand where you are coming from, but this boat is meant to be an all around family boat, and will be able to do everything very well except put a good wake out for a slalom skier. The average skier will buy a 200$ pair of skis and would never know the difference between a good and a bad ski wake. Also, it's nice to be able to do everything (watersports) AND be able to entertain occasionally. I do agree with your thoughts that the arm-rests will go first, but I am interested to see how they are put together in person. Furthermore, the bow gets used the least out of any space in a boat.

I do understand where you are coming from, but this boat is meant to be an all around family boat, and will be able to do everything very well except put a good wake out for a slalom skier. The average skier will buy a 200$ pair of skis and would never know the difference between a good and a bad ski wake. Also, it's nice to be able to do everything (watersports) AND be able to entertain occasionally. I do agree with your thoughts that the arm-rests will go first, but I am interested to see how they are put together in person. Furthermore, the bow gets used the least out of any space in a boat.

I don't mean this as a smart azz, but are you thinking to trade in your Bu and buy one of these MCs? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts of the boat after actual ownership. We do have a fair number of non-Malibu boats owners here and we only give them moderate shyte. It's all good.

You don't ski I take it! Whistling.gif

If I had the money I would certainly take the family boat and get an MC. I don't hate malibu's, but after working at a marina for 5 years now and being in and around all types of boats, I can't say I am a fan of malibus. However, I have not had the crawl/cleaning time that I would like in an '09 or '10 malibu, so I cannot see the change in quality over the past few years. My goal for this summer is to really get the crawl time to see if malibu has stepped their game up. Their manufacturing of boats was miserable in their earlier years, and there is definitely a reason why Malibu used to be significantly cheaper than their competitors. BUT, I am not close-minded, I don't hate malibus, but with the experience I have had I would rather go MC (again, I do need to climb in the past two years worth of boats to see their changes). I don't mean to start a flame fest or anything, just wondering peoples thoughts.

Also- I am not a hardcore skier, I go time to time, but I prefer wakeboarding, wakeskating, and wakesurfing to skiing. To be honest the

Love the back seats. The small openings in the rear seem like they would be a PITA though.

Hard to believe they used the same lame tower..... at least they included the band-aids.

Malibus towers havent changed much either?

Malibus towers havent changed much either?

Look again. The new Illusion G3 is made by the group formerly known as Titan...... maybe not the purtiest, but the sturdiest tower under the sun.

Look again. The new Illusion G3 is made by the group formerly known as Titan...... maybe not the purtiest, but the sturdiest tower under the sun.

well as far as design they haven't. same forward swoop since what, 2003?

well as far as design they haven't. same forward swoop since what, 2003?

Yea, it's forward swoop. But the new design is a lot different than the old one. ie; gas shock assist, less arch, chrome & black tube plus look. Time will tell if things like the glass around it & the bushings survive the rigors of the lake any better than the old design did.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

But they don't come with factory board racks that spin 180 degrees? plus four tower legs seem more sturdy to me.

Yes really sturdy. I'd take an illusion or G3 over one of these anyday. The only thing I like about the MC tower is the height of it.

Yes really sturdy. I'd take an illusion or G3 over one of these anyday. The only thing I like about the MC tower is the height of it.

Yup, the towers sucked real bad, that's why they made the joints to sturdy them. Free for your boat too.

Yup, the towers sucked real bad, that's why they made the joints to sturdy them. Free for your boat too.

It was a support bracket that was supposed to fix the problem not a "joint". They still shake like crazy. Who's boat are you talking about?

Their manufacturing of boats was miserable in their earlier years, and there is definitely a reason why Malibu used to be significantly cheaper than their competitors.

I beg to differ! I've owned 3 Malibus since 1988 (all brand new) and the quality was far from "miserable". Many of my friends have Mastercrafts of all ages and they are built very well but I wouldn't say they have anything on Malibu. One of the reasons Malibus were significantly cheaper early on is much less advertising and sponsorships than Mastercraft.IMHO

martinarcher

How many ways can you swoop a tower? What's your suggestion?

Yeah really. The swoop is what makes a newer Malibu a Malibu. What other boat can you recognize from a mile away across the lake purely on the shape of the tower?

Svfara?

Had to go look at their site to see, as I thought they were gone as well. They show a reverse arch, but specs all say Samson Switchblade (which looks an awful lot like an MC tower), so...not anymore? Good call, though.

Website does say 2010 and now only two models.

Well it really isn't different, secondly they are out of business, and lastly never even saw one on the water.....

Yea, just pointing out that they look similar. We have seen a few here in the NW (as I recall they were based in BC). Pretty funky boat otherwise.