Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast ? on VTX for surfing

mike6681

Looking at getting in to surfing in 2010 and have tried and liked it, want to get boat set up for me but not sure how much ballast is really need for the novice everynow and then surfer. I have a VTX with All stock ballast, when tried before I usually run center full and LR and wedge, I want a little more, would a 400 fat sac be enough or do I need to get the 750 and help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike, I picked up 2 X-2 flyhigh fat sacs (455lbs each) and a tsunami pump. One sac in the locker, fits good not squished or jammed in there. The other sac on the seat if there's not many people in the boat. I don't have the wake dialed for surfing yet, as I got the sacs later in the season. Even with the 2 sacs you can notice a huge difference. I was playing around with the center and bow ballast a little to try and get the best wake but the process is still on going. All I can tell you is the X-2 sacs from fly high fit great in the rear lockers and do make a big difference. I'm new to surfing and absolutely love it! Little bit of chop....Fill the sacs as stock ballast fills and surf. The main reason I picked up the X-2 sacs was because there were 2 of them and I was pretty sure they would fit in the locker.

A step further............Anyone got the VTX surf wake dialed? Speed, Wedge position, Ballast?

Mike, I picked up 2 X-2 flyhigh fat sacs (455lbs each) and a tsunami pump. One sac in the locker, fits good not squished or jammed in there. The other sac on the seat if there's not many people in the boat. I don't have the wake dialed for surfing yet, as I got the sacs later in the season. Even with the 2 sacs you can notice a huge difference. I was playing around with the center and bow ballast a little to try and get the best wake but the process is still on going. All I can tell you is the X-2 sacs from fly high fit great in the rear lockers and do make a big difference. I'm new to surfing and absolutely love it! Little bit of chop....Fill the sacs as stock ballast fills and surf. The main reason I picked up the X-2 sacs was because there were 2 of them and I was pretty sure they would fit in the locker.

A step further............Anyone got the VTX surf wake dialed? Speed, Wedge position, Ballast?

I have two 750 lb sacks that i leave in the Vdrive compartments. You can just about fill them all the way and there is no sacks laying around the interior. I dont have bow ballast but I will then put about 2-300 lbs in a sack in the bow on the surf side, rear tank full (surf side), centre tank full, wedge and speed will vary depending on the amount of people and their placement in the boat. Usually wedge about 11:00 oclock and speed around 10 mph. If we dont have the weight in the bow the wave is really steep and the pocket is very short. Also the depth of your lake could really affect the wave shape and size. The other thing that I find is that the goofy side (drivers) is much easier to make long and clean. If I have lots of people on board and the sacks are full we may not even use the wedge. We find that it changes quite a bit, depending on the day etc. But the recommendations I put from above get us started and then we will tweak it to find out what works for that days conditions. Have fun with it!!

Edited by Malibuzer

At the minimum id do a 750 in the surf side locker. Dont go for the big wake to your eye remember keep the bow down and the speed up makes a much more rider friendly wake Thumbup.gif

post-6438-126199091919_thumb.jpg

At the minimum id do a 750 in the surf side locker. Dont go for the big wake to your eye remember keep the bow down and the speed up makes a much more rider friendly wake Thumbup.gif

That is an inspiring wake for this VTX owner!

You know you are ________, when your best surf wake is at night! (not sure what to put in the blank)?? crazy? a vampire? on the day shift? 24x7? Tease2.gif

edit - look at where CRASH's Wakesetter logo is in relation to the water compared to mine...

<---

Edited by MalibuTime

That is an inspiring wake for this VTX owner!

You know you are ________, when your best surf wake is at night! (not sure what to put in the blank)?? crazy? a vampire? on the day shift? 24x7? Tease2.gif

edit - look at where CRASH's Wakesetter logo is in relation to the water compared to mine...

<---

Some of our best surf sessions have been 0dark 30 :unsure: The lake patrol pulls off Shasta at 10 then the lake is ours Thumbup.gif One of the joys of being on a houseboat all the time.

I would definatly go with the 750's. I have the 2 x 400 in my VTX. I also just had Malibu install a front ballast tank. The 2 x 400 is great to get started but in the long run you will like the 750's much better.

I'll sell you my 2x 400's.....

Hopfully 2010 will be a good surf year!!

Edited by cyoda44
  • 3 months later...

1'st day out this year with the new front ballast hard tank. I had 750 lb of people ballast, 400lb sac on the surf side, front, center and surf side hard tanks full.

post-8836-127043441781_thumb.jpg

Edited by cyoda44

1'st day out this year with the new front ballast hard tank. I had 750 lb of people ballast, 400lb sac on the surf side, front, center and surf side hard tanks full.

Looking good :thumbup:

How well do the 750lb sacs fit in the ski locker of the vtx Is it able to fill all the way?

They fit pretty well. I couldn't tell you exactly how much they hold, but I would guess around the 675 lbs or maybe more. I just like having the ballast hidden away.

Edited by Malibuzer

They fit pretty well. I couldn't tell you exactly how much they hold, but I would guess around the 675 lbs or maybe more. I just like having the ballast hidden away.

Are you saying they do not fill all the way up? I just ordered the 1100lb sac to put in the locker....figuring that it would not fill all the way up. I'm hoping it will mold to the locker and fill the space completely for max weight. :yahoo: I might have to put in some supports on the engine divider to keep it in place! :dontknow:

No matter what it should be a better :surfing: wake.

Edited by cyoda44

Are you saying they do not fill all the way up? I just ordered the 1100lb sac to put in the locker....figuring that it would not fill all the way up. I'm hoping it will mold to the locker and fill the space completely for max weight. :yahoo: I might have to put in some supports on the engine divider to keep it in place! :dontknow:

No matter what it should be a better :surfing: wake.

WHOA!That 1100 pounder is gonna be rather large back there. I run the 750 inthe locker also, itdamn near take up all the space, it'll pop the rear compartment door open if ya let it. I would ectimate they fill about 85-90% I think that 1100's gonna a be a lil big. may pushth plastic divider into the engine when full. I run a 750 in th back, long tube sack uder the seats. about 400lbs. And two more 400 sacks. One on the floor in the corner, or seat, depending on peeps, and one in the bow on the surf side. Might wanna go for the 750 instead. :lol: