Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Foil and Hyrdilla?

factoryKITTED

Has anyone hit a big patch of hyrdrilla while on a foil??

Most weeds of any kind will hold the board down to the water. Sometimes you can ride it out, maybe jump a couple times to shake it loose. Even an algae bloom will make it really draggy & not fun to ride.

Great way to get the Ms. attention, too. Went too far at the end of a lake.....man was she mad. The stuff was thick and gave me the hee-bee-jeebies lifting the foil out of the water.

I'm stiil deaf in that ear!

Great way to get the Ms. attention, too. Went too far at the end of a lake.....man was she mad. The stuff was thick and gave me the hee-bee-jeebies lifting the foil out of the water.

I'm stiil deaf in that ear!

From the Hydrilla???

Man I'm so glad we don't have anything growing in our CA lakes. Quagga mussles are on the rise though.

I remember growing up in MA and swimming at a lake that my grand parents had a cottage on and hating the weeds and lilly pads, Vomit.gif

here in new hampshire we have milfoil. it must be similiar to hyrdrilla. in the worse cases it can grow 6" a day,sucks all the oxygen from the water and kills the fish. it can turn a lake into a bog. Bad stuff transported from lake to lake from other boats.

Joe

It's a weed that grows in lakes near populated areas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrilla

Seems like I recall reading that it can be caused by lawn fertilizers getting into the lake. It'll starve out the fish. Authorities are known to drain the lake for a few months to kill it.

Milfoil

Milf oil

MILF oil

MILFs on our lake often bring their own oil and require minimal assistance. They are actually very pleasant to be around. Serve some mixed fruit and beverages and they will occasionally even talk to me. Yes, they do get in the way from time to time, but if I fall in the lake and there are a couple of MILFs grabbing at me, well, that's OK.

it can be a problem in California and is at Clear Lake . We had a cool small lake that we uses to ski in years back. It became infested with millfoil/hydrilla and is basically unusable now. The cost to have it cleaned up was close to $20K and it would probably only work for a few years according to the pond expert. So this great secluded set up we had is now ruined. In this pic you can kinda see where it starting to bloom.

mung1.jpg

We have a milfoil problem in many lakes in Mi. It is a evasive species (Eurasian Milfoil). Our lake was being affected and much of the shallower water areas were being closed up or so full of it you could not use the part of the lake. We fought for many years for weed control and have finally got it on our lake. We tax lake front owners $95.00 for one lot. If you own more then one lot you only pay one time. I wish we could charge a fee at the public launch but can't.

Last year we had very encouraging results and are going to start working with some poisons this year to try to kill the Eurasian Milfoil. Things got very bad after the zebra mussels invaded the lakes as the water clarity improves so much that weeds grow much deeper.

We also are harvesting other weeds. The lake front owners have given Thumbup.gif to the program at this point. Very small amount of poor feedback.

Milfoil

Milf oil

MILF oil

MILFs on our lake often bring their own oil and require minimal assistance. They are actually very pleasant to be around. Serve some mixed fruit and beverages and they will occasionally even talk to me. Yes, they do get in the way from time to time, but if I fall in the lake and there are a couple of MILFs grabbing at me, well, that's OK.

Doesn't seem like such a problem to me. Perhaps we are overreacting on the whole issue.