Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing a 2004 380 HH

First, this is the first winter I've had this boat. In the past, I've always winterized by pulling the plugs and spraying some fogging oil in the cylinders.

When I went in to pull the plugs on this motor, I could get to the first three plugs (as referenced from the front of the boat). But the last ones on both sides of the motor (closest to the transom) are clearly blocked by the exhaust manifold. Making it impossible to put a spark plug socket on it. The alternative would be to try to put a wrench on the spark plug, but a could issues arise. The aforementioned clearance issues with the manifold and the plugs are so recessed in the head, a wrench would be out of the question.

My question, I guess, is how the heck do I get to those last plugs without removing the exhaust manifold?? I find it hard to believe Indmar would build an engine that requires removal of the exhaust manifold just to get to a spark plug.

While we're on the subject of my motor...where did they hide the lines to my heater??? I tried tracing them back from the heater core under the dash, but they just disappear in the boat. I thought the supply side came from the intake manifold somewhere, but I don't see the connection??

thanks

mike

My engine is mounted correctly so this is not an issue for me. On your rear plugs, can you get the socket on but not the ratchet? Or can't even get the socket on? If you can get it on but not the ratchet, most spark plug sockets have a hex head pattern on the outer end and you could put a wrench on that?? Or can you get at it with a universal between the socket and ratchet? Last option would be a wobble extension.