Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why Malibu?

tvzzz

For me, it came down to the local dealer. Malibu is represented in this area by a great dealer. They have made the purchasing of boats and, more importantly, the maintenance and any warranty issues easy to deal with. The Mastercraft dealer only sold them as a side brand as they mostly concentrated on cruisers and runabouts. I don't think they really had the knowledge of the market or the intensity to sell these boats since they weren't their primary market. They no longer sell MC boats.

If our local dealer sold Mastercrafts instead of Malibus, I would probably have a MC. I think any of the big three (Malibu, MC or CC) are good boats that could become a nightmare if you don't have a good dealer to support you.

#1 - Bang for the buck, I think they are both better and less expensive than a Master Craft. Also a lot less expensive (trying to avoid the word cheaper) than a Ski Nat. Malibus have a great fit and finish.

Also a great local dealer.

For me it was price point based. I wanted a later model vdrive boat from a quality manufacturer. In my mind there are only 3 quality manufacturers, Correct Craft, Mastercraft, and Malibu. And only 1 of those built the boat in my price range, Malibu's vRide. Very functional, great quality boat without all the bling for the price I was looking for. Oh yeah, and for TMC!!! Thumbup.gif

Dealer had a big part of the picture. This boiled it down to Malibu or CC as both had outstanding dealers.

I did not like the feeling I got from MC dealer thumbing his nose at the other brands.

Bang for the buck also had a lot to do with it.

Being a ski fanatic I was looking for the wake or lack of. I like the Bu's wake the best.

CC 196 was just a smaller boat then I was hoping to get. I did not feel there larger boats could stand with the Bu wake. I also love the trunk on the Bu and not making the spotter jump up every time a new skier hit the water for his or her ski.

The Bu is IMHO the best handling boat out of the boats I was looking at.

My dealer treated me very well even well I had one of the other brand ski boats. He new my name on site and always went out of hi way to say hi or a quick conversation.

So now I own a Bu and all I can say is Biggrin.gifThumbup.gifRockon.gif:blush:Clap.gif

Go Skiers Pier!!!!!!!!!!!

My VTX is the first boat I have owned and basically I chose it based on looks and fit and finish. I always thought I wanted a mastercraft. I looked at all manufacturer's before I bought my VTX. After testing centurion avalanche, mastercraft X-2, moomba lsv, and a mb twb, I went with malibu. The only other boat I thought was even close was mb. However it seemed I knew more about the boat than the new dealer, so that threw up some red flags for me. After seriously considering all brands (I was looking for a good deal) I decided to try and hold out for a malibu.....took a while but I actually bought a leftover '08 with a colour scheme I had selected on ispec and more options than I had on my "Dream Boat". I love the lines of malibu's and in my opinion they have the best fit and finish in the industry. It took me 3 long years of research and waiting to finally purchase a boat. I looked at bunch of different manufacturer's multiple times at multiple different locations. Basically if the town I was travelling through had a boat dealer I stopped in to ask questions and check out used inventory. The 4 different malibu dealer's I talked with were all excellent, even when I told them I was only looking. I can't say that about all the other dealer's, but I won't name wich ones. I wasn't looking to buy new but the deal was to good to be true. Buying a malibu is the best purchase I've made in a longtime, in my opinion you get exactly what you pay for!

Koop

Dealer had a big part of the picture. This boiled it down to Malibu or CC as both had outstanding dealers.

I did not like the feeling I got from MC dealer thumbing his nose at the other brands.

Bang for the buck also had a lot to do with it.

Being a ski fanatic I was looking for the wake or lack of. I like the Bu's wake the best.

CC 196 was just a smaller boat then I was hoping to get. I did not feel there larger boats could stand with the Bu wake. I also love the trunk on the Bu and not making the spotter jump up every time a new skier hit the water for his or her ski.

The Bu is IMHO the best handling boat out of the boats I was looking at.

My dealer treated me very well even well I had one of the other brand ski boats. He new my name on site and always went out of hi way to say hi or a quick conversation.

So now I own a Bu and all I can say is Biggrin.gifThumbup.gifRockon.gif:blush:Clap.gif

Go Skiers Pier!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny....The mastercraft dealer in my area also trashed other brands.

I had had experience with other Malibu owners who has owned other brands mentioned above, and gave them up for Malibu's. They love how reliable their Malibu's are and have never looked back. They love their Malibu's and after spending time in theirs I was convinced they were a fantastic boat and built very well. The fit and finish is fantastic. I love our Bu!

price price price...quality quality quality...I bought my first BU in 1998. The only thing I ever did to it besides normal maintenance was change the water pump. My thought process deciding on a new boat was. If a company can build a boat that can have so little problems in 12 years. How can I not continue my relationship with them and keep purchasing their product. I like not having problems. Spending more time boating than fixing the boat is what I'm all about. And of course I think they have a great looking boat. My biggest issue is my salesman. But the product outweighs the salesman and the issues I have with him.

And plus my local MC dealer moved 2 times in a few years. And not because they needed to get into a larger facility.

I bought mine specifically for the model The fact that it was a big boat with a decent ski wake and great wakeboard wake was my motivation. The 23 XTI fit exactly what I wanted and I initially would have bought the same boat had it been made by another company. However, I have now imbibed the Malibu koolaid and that's just icing on the cake!

Barefoot water-skiing. Only two direct drive inboard manufacturers really have a good inboard barefoot boat. Malibu or Sanger. Sanger skis better, Malibu has more and better features.

+2 best bang for the buck.

what he said. the fit and finish is second to none. the performance is great. they hold their value well and mastercraft is way overpriced.

then same reason my wife drives a VW touareg V8 instead of a Porsche cayenne V8...you pay $10k more for a badge...just like mastercraft.

although, my choice for a second boat would be a prostar 190 or the equivalent nautique.

As a foil rider who likes to ride a lot, year after year, we are hard on boats, especially the interiors & the towers. I've owned other brands, and they fit the need at the time. High quality interiors are somewhat easy to find in ski boats. But at the time I bought my Malibu, Titan towers were it. And if you took a poll of foil riders & asked what tower they had, Titan rules.

With the recent acquisition of Titan by Malibu, I look forward to future developments by the team who has put together some very nice, durable, boats.

Saw the ski show at Six Flags a couple of times and they pulled with a mastercraft and I wanted one just because of that.

Then . . .

. . . we had a work picnic at the lake and one fo the guys brought his Sunsetter.

Now . . .

. . .I have a Sunsetter and love it.

Three cascading reasons:

1. My previous boat was ten years old.

2. A new Malibu dealer opened up 15 minutes from my lake house.

3. The dealer gave me an awesome deal on a leftover '07.

That said, we've had two trouble free seasons with the 'bu. No warranty claims.

Ub

Consistently setting the standard and pushing the envelope

Commitment to their customer base

The most comfortable, best looking, and consistently reliable boats made

Resale value is among the top

Lastly when I set foot in one I just knew I had to have one, so I did.

Quality for price.

A friend of mine turned me onto Malibu . . . by taking me out skiing behind his.

His enthusiasm was infectious. He just loved his boat.

At the time, I was still skiing behind an I/O. So, of course, I loved his boat.

The interior layout. The storage. The handling. The wake. Everything.

That didn't keep me from looking at Mastercraft and Correct Craft, but the sticker

shock of those brands sent me over to Malibu. I was able to purchase a new Sunscape

for $20K less than any boat I'd seen in the MC or CC lineups.

That was four seasons ago. Flawless performance. Lots of great memories. Could

not be more pleased.

I don't own a Malibu. They are great boats. I frequently tow , drive, and ski behind a 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197, a 1992 Malibu Sunsetter, my old Spyder OB, and a 2004 Malibu Response LX. Each has their own virtues. The Response LX with the Monsoon 340 is the fastest of the three direct drive boats and has a great wake, maybe a smidge better than the MC Prostar 197. But the 197 is more user friendly because you can walk through the windshield to catch the ski dock whereas the Response LX you have to walk over the windshield and it is not as convenient.

The Sunsetter is slower than the others but still pulls through the course good enough for my crew. We have had 8 onboard the Sunsetter on one occasion and there is no way baby you can pull that off with the other 2 boats.

For the record my old Spyder is faster than the direct drives but does not do well in the course because it will not hold a constant speed or perfectly straight line with a skier behind.

For me you have to compare the MC 197 to an Response LXI and around here you can find more 197's than RLXi, which makes the used 197 market cheaper.

So depending on what your usage is may change your decision on what you need. My usage is slalom ski (40% course outings), free ski, and recreational towing of kneeboards, beginner wakeboards, and minimal tubing for non boating guests.

For just plain family boating it is hard to beat a Sunsetter because of the space for people and toys, and the used prices are reasonable because Malibu has sold so many of them. They will be quieter to ride in than your Crestliner, need less draft, offer a swim platform that is easy to use, and give a good waterski wake.

Edited by DONTW8

So all in all it sounds like (after reading all the posts) that we have all come to the point where we believe we are getting the most for our money. Just an overall sense of satisfaction that no matter how much we spend or how little we spend we end up happy. The Malibu product reminds me of my company and their constant re-evaluation of their product lines and customers needs and wants. Keep up the good work Malibu (if they actually do watch these threads I do accept gifts...it's a chicago thing) and thanks for giving us years of hassle free fun :-)

Oh and this kick butt website when your an Malibu owner !!!!!! Makes ownership that much better

Edited by travlnmannn