Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Height of VTX with Illusion X tower folded down vs others

FireDoug

Okay I have come very close to sealing a deal on a private party sale of 2007 VTX Wake Hull, Illusion X tower on an Extreme trailer. Going tomorrow to have one final look and close the deal.

Tonight I just got a bit nervous after looking for info about how to fold down the tower, on my search here on the forums I discovered another guy who has responses saying their07 VLX is @ 82" with Illusion x folded down. My garage door opening is right at 82" high. So I am a bit concerned as to rather the boat is going to fit.

This boat also has 4 Skylon speakers mounted in the usual inside tower locations. Is that going to hamper the full stowed height of the the tower?

What are my options, I really need to get this boat in my garage?

If this tuns out to be a deal killer are the other types of towers lower when folded down into the stow position?

Thanks

Doug

Okay I have come very close to sealing a deal on a private party sale of 2007 VTX Wake Hull, Illusion X tower on an Extreme trailer. Going tomorrow to have one final look and close the deal.

Tonight I just got a bit nervous after looking for info about how to fold down the tower, on my search here on the forums I discovered another guy who has responses saying their07 VLX is @ 82" with Illusion x folded down. My garage door opening is right at 82" high. So I am a bit concerned as to rather the boat is going to fit.

This boat also has 4 Skylon speakers mounted in the usual inside tower locations. Is that going to hamper the full stowed height of the the tower?

If this tuns out to be a deal killer are the other types of towers lower when folded down into the stow position?

Thanks

Doug

Different trailers have enough of an effect on the overall height that I wouldn't be comfortable taking the word of someone on the 'net, but that's just me. You don't know if that person has lowrider option, what tire/wheel size combos he may have, etc etc that can also affect it. It can end up being an apples & oranges situation.

Why not just take a tape measure to see what the boat actually measures? Have you looked at the possibility of having your garage opening enlarged?

AS WG mentioned there are too many variables to acertain whether it will or won't fit. I can tell you than in measuring mine I wasn't even exactly sure it would fit w/o trying it., it's just that tight of a fit. The tow ball can be removed if need be.

Thanks

Doug

I will Plus1.gif what they are saying. With that said, I did go out and measure, and also perhaps found a method to normlize our height measurements, more on that in a moment...

So, with the trailer slightly nose down (front is about 1-1/2 inches lower than the back measured off floor), I have 89" to top of highest point on tower (top of tow point). The keel at the rear of the boat is 25-3/8" off of the ground. In general, you need an 8' high door (~ 7'10" finished opening in a lot of cases) to get one of these boats in with an Illusion X tower - YMMV)

So more on measuring. If we measure the height of the boat off of the ground in a consitant manner, say measured from the gunwale at certain points, we should be able to come up with some standard measurements for total height, trailer "lift" and boat height delta. Thoughts?

Edited by MalibuTime

Thanks for the answers, well I was going to go measure the boat today, but the dealer is now closed until Jan. 5th. So I will just have to sit and wait this one out. The owner says it fit in his garage with 6' 8" of clearance? That is a lot lower than everyone else is calling for, I hope he is right. Boat does not have low rider trailer but owner says it does have low profile tire package???

I know the only real answer is to back the trailer in my garage and try it.... just can't do it now for a while.

Doug

• 1 year later...