Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New ski

obski

can't wait to hear about it, Dr. D...how long do you have it for?  How 'bout shipping to Mississippi right quick...no demos in my neck of the woods, but I'd love to try it.

I suppose I can try it for as long as I want. I've realized a few perks from having my daughter working 'in the industry'. I've skied on a 68" in the past, so thought as this is a bit wider than what I have been using that a 67" would be reasonable to try. It also comes in a 69".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• obski

• HRemington

• skisix@38

• CarveItUp

I tried out the 67" Triumph and loved it. It goes on edge real well but is much more forgiving than some of the real high end skis. I skied the best I have ever skied today and had lots of fun. I want to try out some other skis, but I'm not sure I will find one better suited to me than this one.

My friend who skis on a KD CR7 tried it out and also liked it, but found it was not as quick turning as he is used to. The last time I tried out his CR7 I wiped out so fast and hard I didn't know what had happened to me. I do know that the ribs on my left side were hurting for 3 or 4 weeks after that wipeout.

I felt like on the Triumph I had control and would be able to progress quickly. Again, one of the most important things is that I had fun.

I tried out the 67" Triumph and loved it.  It goes on edge real well but is much more forgiving than some of the real high end skis.  I skied the best I have ever skied today and had lots of fun.  I want to try out some other skis, but I'm not sure I will find one better suited to me than this one.

My friend who skis on a KD CR7 tried it out and also liked it, but found it was not as quick turning as he is used to.  The last time I tried out his CR7 I wiped out so fast and hard I didn't know what had happened to me.  I do know that the ribs on my left side were hurting for 3 or 4 weeks after that wipeout.

I felt like on the Triumph I had control and would be able to progress quickly.  Again, one of the most important things is that I had fun.

Glad you liked it! Thumbup.gif I have the same ski and noticed many of the same things you reported.

I'm trying to help my ski buddy's wife surprise him with a new ski for Christmas...I need a HO expert to place in order the Burner, Triumph, and Vengeance (was that the ASX?) and describe the different attributes of each.

I'm trying to help my ski buddy's wife surprise him with a new ski for Christmas...I need a HO expert to place in order the Burner, Triumph, and Vengeance (was that the ASX?) and describe the different attributes of each.

The Burner is part of the HO Comp Freeride series that started in 2000 (I think). The Triumph is the "successor" to that line: it's a slightly (1") wider version of the Monza/System 8. The Comp Freeride still exists and is really easy to ski on. I have an older Charger (the 69" version of the Burner) and use it for our guest ski.

The Vengeance was between the Comp Freeride and Phantom in performance. I've been told that it is being re-designed for '06 to use the Monza/S8 shape and be in between the Triumph and S8 in performance.

I really like the way the Triumph feels and would buy it over the Burner for general purpose skiing.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Edited by CarveItUp

The Burner is part of the HO Comp Freeride series that started in 2000 (I think). The Triumph is the "successor" to that line: it's a slightly (1") wider version of the Monza/System 8. The Comp Freeride still exists and is really easy to ski on. I have an older Charger (the 69" version of the Burner) and use it for our guest ski.

The Vengeance was between the Comp Freeride and Phantom in performance. I've been told that it is being re-designed for '06 to use the Monza/S8 shape and be in between the Triumph and S8 in performance.

I really like the way the Triumph feels and would buy it over the Burner for general purpose skiing.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I am pretty sure the new Vengeance is called the Nitro. Here is a link with details.

http://www.anythingxtreme.com/HO-Sports-Ni...12254C1747.aspx

I have a Charger also and it is a good ski. I have skied it into 28 off at 34 mph and it can support that kind of activity.

Without more detail on what kind of skier the person is and how big they are it is hard to give a good recommendation.

here are the specs on my ski buddy...mid 40s, approx 5'10", 190, has been an excellent skier in the past, still a lot of potential to get back to skiing the course as soon as he and I buy one this spring. I'd say that 22-28 off @ 34 wouldn't be out of the question for him.

I'm also getting some budgetary constraints as he's sort of tight and I'm having a hard enough time getting him off his antique EP that's about 25 years old, but he's comfortable with it. $654 for a Triumph off of Wiley's might be pushing the envelope. However, I want to get him what would fit and that he could use and progress on well into the future, as he's also tight enough that I know he won't turn around and buy a D3 X5 in two or three years. Also, since he prefers to get up one foot out, probably RTP will be best. Thanks for any input.

Maybe StarFrog, or skisix will weigh in with enough suggestions to really confuse things... Biggrin.gif

Edited by HRemington
here are the specs on my ski buddy...mid 40s, aprrox 5'10", 190, has been an excellent skier in the past, still a lot of potential to get back to skiing the course as soon as he and I buy one this spring. I'd say that 22-28 off @ 34 wouldn't be out of the question for him.

I'm also getting some budgetary constraints as he's sort of tight and I'm having a hard enough time getting him off his antique EP that's about 25 years old, but he's comfortable with it. $654 for a Triumph off of Wiley's might be pushing the envelope.  However, I want to get him what would fit and that he could use and progress on well into the future, as he's also tight enough that I know he won't turn around and buy a D3 X5 in two or three years.  Also, since he prefers to get up one foot out, probably RTP will be best.  Thanks for any input.

Maybe StarFrog, or skisix will weigh in with enough suggestions to really confuse things... Biggrin.gif

Adrenaline Water Sports has a sweet deal on 2004 System 8s which sound like might be a great ski for him. You can pick up a blank System 8 for $329 or one with double Animals for $499.

It is going to be tough to get something good for much less than that.

here are the specs on my ski buddy...mid 40s, aprrox 5'10", 190, has been an excellent skier in the past, still a lot of potential to get back to skiing the course as soon as he and I buy one this spring. I'd say that 22-28 off @ 34 wouldn't be out of the question for him.

I'm also getting some budgetary constraints as he's sort of tight and I'm having a hard enough time getting him off his antique EP that's about 25 years old, but he's comfortable with it. $654 for a Triumph off of Wiley's might be pushing the envelope.  However, I want to get him what would fit and that he could use and progress on well into the future, as he's also tight enough that I know he won't turn around and buy a D3 X5 in two or three years.  Also, since he prefers to get up one foot out, probably RTP will be best.  Thanks for any input.

You can check out the HO Sports website for more info on the ski offerings. The Triumph is listed as being recommended boat speeds of 28 to 34 mph. Your buddy is about my size and I felt that the 67" ski I demoed was just right for me. The ski felt light and responsive with the right amount of the ski in the water. You should be able to get a Triumph for less than that. In fact tomorrow night our local ski shop, Active Water Sports, is having a special event/sale with the Triumph listed at $349 with a Venom front boot and a RTP. I really was quite surprised and impressed with the Triumph.

[hijack]

Interesting read about the HO-line-up!

I thought about buying the HO CDX. (Wiley's got some new ones.)

Does anybody know where to categorize this ski?

Is there a successor to the CDX?

Thanks!

[/hickack]

Edited by Chaabo

Man, David, that Triumph sale at Active sounds like just the ticket and the perfect setup for him, at a super price. Did the Triumph look and feel like a wide bodied shaped ski, or did it still seem a lot zippier than that? He likes his old stodgy ski, and didn't like as well my skinny and faster Connelly. Is the Triumph less "shaped" and wide than the Burner?

Chef, would the S8 be characterized as a "skinny" and fast race horse, or more shaped? I've never seen one.

The Triumph is based on the Monza, but is more forgiving. All of the top end skis are what is called by HO "shaped-competition". It is a bit wider at the tip than the Monza, but not nearly as wide as the Burner. I am coming from an old skinny competition stick and the Burner just felt too big and sluggish to me. I did not feel that way on the Triumph. I think a big difference between the Monza and the Triumph is how technical you need to be on the Monza. If you have the technical side down then the Monza or System 8 are going to allow you to make more aggressive precise turns, but if you are like me, and don't have great technique already, then a ski like the Triumph allows you to learn better technical skills. I know that I could not handle the KD CR7, it handled me. Not a fun experience. I want to emphasize that I found the Triumph to be fun.

I still want to try out the Vengeance and also the Siege if I have the opportunity.

Hank, you might want to check with Active and find out if you could get that price over the phone. If not, and you want the ski, I could have my daughter pick one up for you and send it to you.

thanks a bunch, David...you're my favorite OBGYN in the whole world!

Based on what you know about the Triumph and what you have heard about the Vengeance, how are they supposed to compare and what are the differences?

I tried out a CDX, but it was a bit small for me at 66". I liked it, but not as much as the 67" Triumph. I suppose a 68" CDX would be better for me to try. I did like the feel and it wasn't as tempermental as say the CR7.

Wiley's sells the CDX new for $349 blank, or a blem can be had from them for $250 blank.

Personally, I'd take the Venom front/RTP rear over the double Unions. The Venom is a nice high-wrap with rear laces (easy entry) where the Union is like the Hyperlite entry-level wakeboard boot: front lace with a (semi?) floating tongue.

I didn't like the Union when I tried it on earlier this year, but your mileage may vary...

Still, if you can't get one from Active, you might try Mike at Adrenaline. He can probably set you up with the Venom/RTP if that's what you want. Also, give Wiley's a call. They'll make some good deals on the phone, although they push their high-wrap pretty hard instead of the Venom.

Edited by CarveItUp

Hank,

Your friend will have a more difficult time converting to any HO product if he's used to the EP. The EP has round bevels and so he should stick to Goode, D3, KD or Carbonworx. D3's website has closeout specials so it's worth checking out there, d3skis.com I think. I know from time to time Carbonworx has returns that can be sold inexpensively too. A call or email on both counts would be fruitful.

With his stats, he'll want a 68 or larger and he should just get the high end full carbon ski now. That way right now his body can take advantage of the bigger ski to get into shape and then once he's in shape ripping again he will only need to make setting changes to take advantage of the skis performance.

Man, David, that Triumph sale at Active sounds like just the ticket and the perfect setup for him, at a super price.  Did the Triumph look and feel like a wide bodied shaped ski, or did it still seem a lot zippier than that?  He likes his old stodgy ski, and didn't like as well my skinny and faster Connelly.  Is the Triumph less "shaped" and wide than the Burner?

Chef, would the S8 be characterized as a "skinny" and fast race horse, or more shaped?  I've never seen one.

The System 8 would be a skinny ski. Based on your description of your friend in the right size I don't think that would be a problem. He is skiing on a skinny ski now.

I have never skied on the S8 I have a D3X5 right now but it is a smoking good deal.

Hank,

Your friend will have a more difficult time converting to any HO product if he's used to the EP.  The EP has round bevels and so he should stick to Goode, D3, KD or Carbonworx. 

skisix, could you elaborate a bit more on this point...how would an HO tend to act with him? My main problem in moving him to any of the recommended skis will be price point, unless I get a 2002 or 2003 demo or blem. I looked at the D3 website, and there are some cheaper older demos, but then I'm not really sure what to go with...custom X 2, 4, tightline, etc. I'm afraid budget will make the X5 off limits. Is there another ski in the Triumph range that might work? I'd like to hold it to $400 with front boot and RTP.

The EP skiing style, the way it is best riden, is centered. The HO's are by and large best riden on the tail. Those two styles of turn are very different. Your friend is used to the centered style and should stay with it, unless he is want to change his style as well, in that case go with what's least expensive.

I think if you look around enough you'll find an X5 for that money or a custom 4 or a KD platinum. Keep looking.

Hank,

Your friend will have a more difficult time converting to any HO product if he's used to the EP.  The EP has round bevels and so he should stick to Goode, D3, KD or Carbonworx. 

skisix, could you elaborate a bit more on this point...how would an HO tend to act with him? My main problem in moving him to any of the recommended skis will be price point, unless I get a 2002 or 2003 demo or blem. I looked at the D3 website, and there are some cheaper older demos, but then I'm not really sure what to go with...custom X 2, 4, tightline, etc. I'm afraid budget will make the X5 off limits. Is there another ski in the Triumph range that might work? I'd like to hold it to $400 with front boot and RTP.

skisix, I'm going to send a donation to Tracie in your honor for what you put up with from us wannabees...

...if I tend to be a tail rider, does that mean I need a ski like an HO, or would that only exaggerate my already poor form? Even when I think I'm good and centered, I'll see pictures and I look goofy. I even moved my bindings forward a notch, and it still looks like half my ski is sticking out at a 45° angle (I'm currently on a Connelly F2). I guess I'm trying to determine if tail riding is a function of the type ski/set up, or more just an indication of poor mechanics that need to be corrected?

Edited by HRemington
skisix, I'm going to send a donation to Tracie in your honor for what you put up with from us wannabees...

...if I tend to be a tail rider (don't bother, Jack, it's already crossed my mind), does that mean I need a ski like an HO, or would that only exaggerate my already poor form?  Even when I think I'm good and centered, I'll see pictures and I look goofy.  I even moved my bindings forward a notch, and it still looks like half my ski is sticking out at a 45° angle (I'm currently on a Connelly F2). I guess I'm trying to determine if tail riding is a function of the type ski/set up, or more just an indication of poor mechanics that need to be corrected?

It's no trouble at all Hank, I was fortunate, still am, and learned a few things along the way and I want to pass them along.

If you tail ride it doesn't mean that you have to ride an HO. The HO's performance tends to come out when the skier rides a little back of center. The other thing I'll say is that HO's demand that you be in position at all times. If you get forward in turn to shut down some excess speed- you will get dumped OTF. I think this is caused by the skiers they have involved in development, Wade, Drew, Chet. All those guys have awesome technique and body position AT ALL TIMES. Now, the upside is that if the skier is on that ride, doing things correctly, the HO will really perform. I am not always on.