Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

93 Skier Pricing...

Levi900RR

So I am very happy with my 93 Skier F3. The ONLY issue I have with it is things are getting a little tight when I pile our crew in. My friends and I are also all having kids so its going to get even tighter. I have found an Echelon of the same vintage for a very good price and I'm thinking about jumping on it. My question is...

How much do you all think I can realisticly expect to get for my Skier in the spring. It has 400 hours on it and the boat itself is in great shape. I just barley put a brand new interior in it and had the hull wet sanded and buffed. It has a single axl trailer under it that needs some work. I was going to re-finish that next... I live in VT and Malibu boats are few and far between around here and seem to pull decent money.

Let me know what you think!

So I am very happy with my 93 Skier F3. The ONLY issue I have with it is things are getting a little tight when I pile our crew in. My friends and I are also all having kids so its going to get even tighter. I have found an Echelon of the same vintage for a very good price and I'm thinking about jumping on it. My question is...

How much do you all think I can realisticly expect to get for my Skier in the spring. It has 400 hours on it and the boat itself is in great shape. I just barley put a brand new interior in it and had the hull wet sanded and buffed. It has a single axl trailer under it that needs some work. I was going to re-finish that next... I live in VT and Malibu boats are few and far between around here and seem to pull decent money.

Let me know what you think!

Just something to compare with.

I paid $7500 for ours with a two year old floor and three year old interior when we bought it three years ago. It came with a wakeboard, skis, anchor, two ropes, barefoot boom, and skylon fly high pole.

I was thrilled and would have paid as high as 9k. The guy was asking $8800 in the ad.

Just something to compare with.

I paid $7500 for ours with a two year old floor and three year old interior when we bought it three years ago. It came with a wakeboard, skis, anchor, two ropes, barefoot boom, and skylon fly high pole.

I was thrilled and would have paid as high as 9k. The guy was asking $8800 in the ad.

During the good times. I would lower my expectations of what you will get based on the economy. But, you never know. I suggest cleaning up the trailer. Having your boat in tip top shape will not only help you sell it, but get the most for it. If you can swing the carrying cost, this is also a great time to buy, and Spring/early Summer is a great time to sell.

Edited by MalibuTime

During the good times. I would lower my expectations of what you will get based on the economy. But, you never know. I suggest cleaning up the trailer. Having your boat in tip top shape will not only help you sell it, but get the most for it. If you can swing the carrying cost, this is also a great time to buy, and Spring/early Summer is a great time to sell.

That was my exact plan, If I can snap up an Echelon this time of year then sell my Skier in spring and only have to come out of pocket a few hundred bucks I would be psyched!

The other thing I wanted to throw on here is...

Do you think its worth the hassle to "upgrade"?

My thought is I get a little more room AND heres the kicker, I will have a hull that will support a wedge!

My thought is I get a little more room AND heres the kicker, I will have a hull that will support a wedge!

And you will have full fiberglass, instead of wood that can rot. That, in my mind, makes it worth it.

Run in it why don't ya! Mad.gif

Tease2.gif

But if you want more space you may have to look at a newer model.

I have to disagree. It seems that the longer my wife and I are together the more space she gives me. A young/new one would just be all clingy. That's what you meant, right?

I have to disagree. It seems that the longer my wife and I are together the more space she gives me. A young/new one would just be all clingy. That's what you meant, right?

Yup. Just ask Tiger.

Edited by Baddog

I'm in the same boat as you, both literally and figuratively, and we are doing the same thing. I'm hoping to get around $7500 - $8000 for my boat in the spring (very similar condition to yours).

And you will have full fiberglass, instead of wood that can rot. That, in my mind, makes it worth it.

My 93 Skier is full fiberglass... So that would not be a driving factor for me. Space is the main goal

My 93 Skier is full fiberglass... So that would not be a driving factor for me. Space is the main goal

yeah I think 93 was the first year they did away with wood and went all fiberglass.

You mentioned you and/or friends having kids and needing more space. Don't underestimate how much space they take up. Although they're small their gear can take up alot of room. Diaper bag filled with enough survival goods to live a month on an island, toys, toys, and more toys, milk, juice, and snacks taking up precious beer cooler space!!

yeah I think 93 was the first year they did away with wood and went all fiberglass.

Yep, 93 full Fiberglass...

You mentioned you and/or friends having kids and needing more space. Don't underestimate how much space they take up. Although they're small their gear can take up alot of room. Diaper bag filled with enough survival goods to live a month on an island, toys, toys, and more toys, milk, juice, and snacks taking up precious beer cooler space!!

I am already experiencing this with our mini motocross trips, I have a 4 door tundra and there is no space for my gear... :(

So, I am gathering that realistically I can probabally get around 7G's for my boat in the spring. The dude is asking 9500 for the 21 footer and I think I can get it for 8. I'm going to have to think about weather its worth 1000 bucks for the additional space.

I really like my skier! Dang

Sorry guys, I thought all the Skiers were wood. My mistake.

The Echelon you're talking about is an open bow, correct? Although it does provide some more space, not a whole lot. Good spot for gear that can get wet and not be destroyed (towels, coolers, etc.). Or a great spot for kids, keeps them away from the ropes, gear, etc. But not a good spot for an adult to sit unless you are putting around, the bow sits very low and it gets tough to keep it above water with someone up in front, especially when turning around to pick up riders. If it's a closed bow I don't think you'll notice any difference in space, even if it is longer than the Skier.

So, if you really love your Skier, you may be disappointing in the switch to the Echelon and how much space you'll gain. Obviously I have one, and have zero plans to switch, but it's usually just 3 or 4 people in the boat, so no big deal.

Just some stuff to consider.

The Echelon is on the SV23 hull which is what put Malibu on the map as one of the "top 3". Sounds like you might tend towards boarding, but the SV23 hull's strength's are really slalom and barefoot. I did the upgrade and have been extremely happy with the Echelon.

My main watersport focus is Wakeboarding for sure. I would like to eventually get into a little surfing but I have a weekend of studing Martins plumbing video before I test that out. From what I'm hearing and now remembering, I take a lot of splash water over the bow of my boat. If that goes the same for the SV23 hull than maybe an open bow isn't the answer to my problems...

After carefull consideration I think I'm going to keep my Skier! Rockon.gif

Some day when I can afford a V-drive maybe that is the way I will go, for now I need to STOP LOOKING AT BOATS FOR SALE! Crazy.gif

The Echelon is on the SV23 hull which is what put Malibu on the map as one of the "top 3". Sounds like you might tend towards boarding, but the SV23 hull's strength's are really slalom and barefoot.

Just for clarity...

The "SV-23" Hull eventually had two models, the SV-23 and the SV-23 Diamond. The Diamond hull is the more slalom specific hull and didn't come out until 1998. The regular SV-23 eventually became known as the "Wake" hull but at one time was both the slalom and wake hull. Crazy.gif Clear as mud, right? Biggrin.gif

The SV-23 is more weight sensitive than the diamond hull which for slalom means leaving extra items out of the boat to keep it as light as possible...but does mean that it takes less weight to get a good boarding wake.

To anyone considering upgrading to an open bow to get more space vs. a closed bow...make sure you get a walk-thru open bow. The playpens of the crawl-over open bows (Sportster LX & Response LX) are nearly worthless. Yes.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

My main watersport focus is Wakeboarding for sure. I would like to eventually get into a little surfing but I have a weekend of studing Martins plumbing video before I test that out. From what I'm hearing and now remembering, I take a lot of splash water over the bow of my boat. If that goes the same for the SV23 hull than maybe an open bow isn't the answer to my problems...

After carefull consideration I think I'm going to keep my Skier! Rockon.gif

Some day when I can afford a V-drive maybe that is the way I will go, for now I need to STOP LOOKING AT BOATS FOR SALE! Crazy.gif

I hear ya one that one. My next boat upgrade will probably be one of Malibu's V-Drive boats. If I did pick a boat as a stepping stone to a V-Drive it would have been an Echelon with a wedge, but like you said, I don't think the advantages outweigh the hassle and cost. For me, I need to keep the Skier for a while since I just had a cover made, added the tower, stereo, and full ballast system. Another biggie is it's paid off and runs like a champ. Thumbup.gif