Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motor box insulation

I went on my friends 96 Tige 2002 Pre (direct drive) yesterday and was amazed at how quiet it was. So I'm thinking of insulating my motor box (96 Echelon) to try to get things quieter. I plan on following the great DIY article here on the Crew. Should I expect a noticable difference?

Are boats with wood floors/stringers just quieter than all glass boats?

I went on my friends 96 Tige 2002 Pre (direct drive) yesterday and was amazed at how quiet it was.  So I'm thinking of insulating my motor box (96 Echelon) to try to get things quieter.  I plan on following the great DIY article here on the Crew.  Should I expect a noticable difference? 

Are boats with wood floors/stringers just quieter than all glass boats?

you'll notice a difference and it's definitely worth it. do a quick search. there are several threads out there with members feedback...

Just Do It. Best 60 bucks you will ever spend. 8 feet of insulation from McMaster Carr does the trick. Get the self adhesive too. NO mess.

Takes less than an hour to do. Get a nice sharp blade before you start.

It makes my boat quiet enough to talk and listen to music as well at 30mph

About three weeks ago I installed the "skinned" insulation from Mcmaster and installed it and took it out to the lake. I was pleased by the lake of noise, it was that noticeable from the moment I turned the key to get the boat off hte trailer. Since then the Bu's been sitting in the garage and I've been skiing behind other boats, an '04 TT197 and a '97 190. Both of these boats seemed very quiet to me and I was starting to think "well, I guess my Bu is always going to be loud- not an attribute I was looking for. I was also skiing very well and started to doubt the pulls I got behind the Bu(I know, I know slap my wrist).

Last night I got the Bu out and since the weather is cooling down I removed the bimini top from the boat. As soon I pulled my buddy out of the water, I thought to myself "where's all the noise"? All I could hear was the sound of the spray and my son quietly humming a song he learned in school. I wanted to get up and shout YAHWHOOOOO! I didn't need to make any effort to keep the boat right in the middle and it was fun listening to the silence.

The real treat was when my friends tha town the MC's drove and we got down to the end of the lake after my first pass and they said "man, that insulation worked great, I noticed it from the deep water start".

Just wanted to update anyone who cares.

Do you have the part# from the McMaster Carr catalog that you ordered the "skinned" insulation material from? I see you used the self adhesive type. I was looking in an old (1999) McMaster-Carr catalog and did not see any self-adhesive insulation material. Thanks in advance for you help on this.

5692T49 Go to mcmaster.com and they have a search field in the left hand column. type in "sound insulation" and scroll down the page. It took about 3 days to arrive. I ordered 8' and I have some left over but, I put a lot of effort into getting the patterns right the first time. With a little more material I would have just laid down a big stip down the middle of the box and then filled in the sides.

Some words of caution when using PSA types of insulation. One, always "push" the material in to it spot. You don't want to stretch it at all. 2, remember #1 when making patterns. After I got the box covered with insulation I went to home depot and got some "insulation tape" and taped over my seems to finish the job off and make it look clean.

I actually threw some insulation under the exhaust access/drive shaft cover, It Made a big difference along with the engine cover :)

Edited by Henken
...since the weather is cooling down I removed the bimini top from the boat.  ...

I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago when I removed the bimini (which is extremely rare), which was shortly after I read all the posts on the moterbox insulation mod. I was thinking about doing the mod but then rode without the bimini reflecting the noise back on the passengers. At first I thought something was wrong but then realized the why.

I still plan on doing the mod over the winter though.