Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare prop for '08 VTX

Koop

Last spring I bought a leftover (new) '08 VTX.....I absolutely love the boat and it's perfect for me and my young family. I'm curious if anyone uses a different prop, other than stock. I want to have a spare prop on board and need some feedback on which prop to get for a spare? Should I get a different prop and keep my stock prop as my spare? Right now the wakeboard wake is better than our riding ability. When we surf we fill stock ballast and 2 X-2 Fat sac's (455lbs each - I think), I don't have any complaint's about the boats performance....just curious if you guy's would buy another stock prop or something different? Still haven't skied behind the boat and top end speed isn't important to me. I also pull 2 of my little girls(4&2) around at 6-7mph in a double tube.....they don't like to go fast! Thanks in advance for any feedback.

KOOP

Last spring I bought a leftover (new) '08 VTX.....I absolutely love the boat and it's perfect for me and my young family. I'm curious if anyone uses a different prop, other than stock. I want to have a spare prop on board and need some feedback on which prop to get for a spare? Should I get a different prop and keep my stock prop as my spare? Right now the wakeboard wake is better than our riding ability. When we surf we fill stock ballast and 2 X-2 Fat sac's (455lbs each - I think), I don't have any complaint's about the boats performance....just curious if you guy's would buy another stock prop or something different? Still haven't skied behind the boat and top end speed isn't important to me. I also pull 2 of my little girls(4&2) around at 6-7mph in a double tube.....they don't like to go fast! Thanks in advance for any feedback.

KOOP

Hey, welcome to TMC!

Yes, you should get a different prop. That gives you a backup plus two performance options. I am guessing you have an Acme 537, that is a good all around prop. I suggest an Acme 1235 or OJ 475 as a 2nd. They will give you a lot better holeshot when loaded down and not lose enough off of the top end that you will care. Paid members get to participate in group buys, so check that there may be another prop group buy coming up in the Spring. (I haven't checked). The price of membership more than pays for itself as soon as you buy a prop, or some speakers, or what ever with the group buy discount.

Edited by MalibuTime

Hey, welcome to TMC!

Yes, your should get a different prop. That gives you a backup plus two performance options. I am guessing you have an Acme 537, that is a good all around prop. I suggest an Acme 1235 or OJ 475 as a 2nd. They will give you a lot better holeshot when loaded down and not lose enough off of the top end that you will care. Paid members get to participate in group buys, so check that there may be another prop group buy coming up in the Spring. (I haven't checked). The price of membership more than pays for itself as soon as you buy a prop, or some speakers, or what ever with the group buy discount.

+1 I prefer the OJ 468 but it does suck more fuel and reduces your top end more, but out of the whole fully loaded...she's a beaut Clark!

I'm needin an extra prop for my 08 VTX also. This is good info thanks guys. The Crew is Awesome can't wait for WOW to actually meet some of you guys.

We are great at getting members to blow huge $$$$$$$$$$....Thumbup.gif Assuming you have the 537, you'll really like these other props. For an open lake which you travel distances to a ride spot the 475 would be a good compromise.

We are great at getting members to blow huge $$$$$$$$$$....Thumbup.gif Assuming you have the 537, you'll really like these other props. For an open lake which you travel distances to a ride spot the 475 would be a good compromise.

Thats exactly what we do, we could end up driving for 20 to 30 or miles or farther before we find a spot to set up a day camp then boarding.

Thats exactly what we do, we could end up driving for 20 to 30 or miles or farther before we find a spot to set up a day camp then boarding.

I believe I've got the 537 but I'm currently in texas working and the boats back in canada in storage.....I've been around boats my whole life but this the first boat I've actually owned, so I've got lot's of questions. One would assume the manufacturer would put the best prop on the boat for it's designed application (wakeboarding/surfing) but I always hear about guys re-propping. Are there any warranty issues with using a different prop? Would hate to void warranty for the sake of a little bit better hole shot!

No warranty issues, other than if you damaged the engine by continuously going over the max RPM's, other than that nothing I can think of. The stock prop is suited to be the jack of all trades but not necessarily the best for each sport. The magazines and people seem to be fascinated at the top end speed of an inboard, when the boat isn't designed for that. The 537 is the middle of the road prop that will give top end speed, fuel economy, and yet still work loaded up. Though I can tell you that a loaded up VLX w/ the 537 sucks to get on plain w/ a monsoon.

Most of my boating experience (up until this year) hasn't been in wake specific boats. Would I be able to notice the difference of better hole with another prop? Is it that significant? We don't spend a lot of time cruising the lakes we boat on. Just a quick 5 min @30mph trip to where we will hang out and eventually get a couple of sets in. Cruising fuel economy isn't that big a concern to me....My thinking is if I get a prop with better hole shot it might even save on fuel? My family and friends are beginner boarders/surfers so there is a lot of starting and stopping. The riders I pull generally only last for a couple minutes before the wake wins! Should my prop application be different than someone who pulls guy's for 10-15 minute sets? Like I said previously this is my first wake specific boat and I have lots of questions. The fuel economy and preformance of my stock prop is actually a pleasant surprise. I thought the boat would just suck fuel constantly but I have to say it's not as bad as I had expected. Although I don't have anything to compare it to personally.

I use an Acme 1235 on my VTX with a monsoon. It's much better than the stock 537 I had. It has a much better deep water start ability than the standard prop.

There maybe a few new props available from Acme or OJ. I would recommend calling both manufacturers and talking to them.

Most of my boating experience (up until this year) hasn't been in wake specific boats. Would I be able to notice the difference of better hole with another prop? Is it that significant? We don't spend a lot of time cruising the lakes we boat on. Just a quick 5 min @30mph trip to where we will hang out and eventually get a couple of sets in. Cruising fuel economy isn't that big a concern to me....My thinking is if I get a prop with better hole shot it might even save on fuel? My family and friends are beginner boarders/surfers so there is a lot of starting and stopping. The riders I pull generally only last for a couple minutes before the wake wins! Should my prop application be different than someone who pulls guy's for 10-15 minute sets? Like I said previously this is my first wake specific boat and I have lots of questions. The fuel economy and preformance of my stock prop is actually a pleasant surprise. I thought the boat would just suck fuel constantly but I have to say it's not as bad as I had expected. Although I don't have anything to compare it to personally.

I don't think you will see much difference in fuel economy, but either of those two props will be better for boarding. No, I don't think whether someone is up 2 minutes or 15 is a reason to have a different prop. You will start to suck more gas when loaded with lots of people, ballast and are constantly starting/stopping all day though. The nice thing about a 2nd prop that is different is it gives you options and a basis for comparison. I Plus1.gif calling OJ and ACME and ask then if they have tweaked the OJ 475 or ACME 1235 at all in the last 12 months or any other input they might have.

Make sure to get a weekend saver kit (prop, case, prop puller, spare nylock nut, spare cotter pin, prop wrench). Also, search the site, there is a post and maybe a document on changing props and how to do it. It is good for the first time just to make sure you aren't fighting yourself until you get the feel for it. Cheers!

Edited by MalibuTime

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will look at the acme 1235...I do plan on purchasing a prop changing kit, I have been told it's a must have. I plan on purchasing a paid membership...was just checking out the site to check the vibe. Really cool how the majority of members are BU owners. Nice to get feedback from people who have the same or simillar boats. The best thing about this site is it doesn't turn into a pissing contest as often as other sites!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will look at the acme 1235...I do plan on purchasing a prop changing kit, I have been told it's a must have. I plan on purchasing a paid membership...was just checking out the site to check the vibe. Really cool how the majority of members are BU owners. Nice to get feedback from people who have the same or simillar boats. The best thing about this site is it doesn't turn into a pissing contest as often as other sites!

We hide all of that in the Off Topic/Hot Topics forum because it is usually never about boats! No.gif

I have a 21.5' LSV, with the 320 HP LCR. We are beginner wakeboarders and do a lot of slalom skiing, anout 25% in the course.

The boat came with the ACME 537 and we are happy with it. Good hole shot for skiing and wakeboarding, and top speed is about 46 mph.

When I bought a spare, I bought the same prop (537) because it performs like i like, i really just want it as a spare and i don't think i will be changing props around because we do so many different things on each outing.

Bakes has a great "kit" that is a hard case that has the tools needed and space for a prop. It is easy to store in the boat and not worry about it getting banged up / dented by something and it keeps everything together.

It it a smart investment that i hope to never need ...

I have a 21.5' LSV, with the 320 HP LCR. We are beginner wakeboarders and do a lot of slalom skiing, anout 25% in the course.

The boat came with the ACME 537 and we are happy with it. Good hole shot for skiing and wakeboarding, and top speed is about 46 mph.

When I bought a spare, I bought the same prop (537) because it performs like i like, i really just want it as a spare and i don't think i will be changing props around because we do so many different things on each outing.

Bakes has a great "kit" that is a hard case that has the tools needed and space for a prop. It is easy to store in the boat and not worry about it getting banged up / dented by something and it keeps everything together.

It it a smart investment that i hope to never need ...

You situation is different as the you operate in both speed ranges of skiing and boarding, the 537 is a good prop for that. Once you load down the boat and have a couple of people that prop just takes forever to get on plane. I wouldn’t recommend this prop to the OP as they don’t travel far nor very fast and based upon the needs laid out this prop isn’t going to give the best performance. Sure it’ll work and I used it as well, but I’ll tell ya my OJ 468 is some much better mated w/ the VLX than the 537 which isn’t specifically good at anything. Granted I give up top end and at WOT I’ll suck down some gas but that’s not what I do on a regular basis.

IMO the ACME 1235 and OJ 468 will put you in way to low of a performance area for your needs. One thing I'm keeping in mind is you have the smaller boat VTX, you are not loading it down all that much, your not at high alt and most likely not on a little lake. I would go with the OJ 475 as your main prop and keep the 537 as your back up and definitely pick up a puller kit. With in the next few months I'm going to be going over the ACME and OJ props spec sheets to see what new and cool things are coming out with and will give a report on it. When you change props you will feel a difference in hole shot, power turns and holding speed.

As M-dude stated both have a try it before you buy it program but make sure the vendor you use is ok with this and also talk with one of the pro's from the company to make sure your needs will be met the first time you buy.

Going into the DIY area (top center tab of this page) is where the article about how to pull a prop is along with many other great how too........

• 2 months later...

I know the odds of this are pretty slim but here goes....Has any one ran an Acme 1235 and an Oj 475 on there VTX before? Kind of a side by side comparison? The specs on both props are a little different but honestly don't mean a lot to me! Have any of you had any problems with clearance on the trailer using either the 1235 or 475?

I'm looking to take advantage of the group by so I thought I'd revive one of my first post's. Still trying to figure out which prop I want.....

Thanks for any feedback.....

Koop

Like you I am waiting for the group buy on the OJ 475. Goose and I have had long discussions about props as well as a talking directly with OJ.

I am sold on the OJ 475 just have to wait for the GB.

I know the odds of this are pretty slim but here goes....Has any one ran an Acme 1235 and an Oj 475 on there VTX before? Kind of a side by side comparison? The specs on both props are a little different but honestly don't mean a lot to me! Have any of you had any problems with clearance on the trailer using either the 1235 or 475?

I'm looking to take advantage of the group by so I thought I'd revive one of my first post's. Still trying to figure out which prop I want.....

Koop

I have run the 475, and have a Ryan trailer. No problem with clearance as long as you don't get the boat drifting too far off alignment with the bunks :whistle:, I am a little dissapointed in the level of finish on the OJ. I am not sure if it is by design, or just to save on machine time, but the OJ has very pronounced machining grooves, on the order of 1/2 mm or more. It gives the appearance that one more pass with the milling machine should have been done. The Acme on the other hand is almost smooth.

Honestley, both the Acme 537 and OJ 475 work pretty dang good on the VTX for skiing speeds to wakeboarding. Have not really gotten into wakesurfing yet.

Like you I am waiting for the group buy on the OJ 475. Goose and I have had long discussions about props as well as a talking directly with OJ.

I am sold on the OJ 475 just have to wait for the GB.

Looks like your wait is over.........checkout the new Group Buy!

Looks like your wait is over.........checkout the new Group Buy!

I suggest ordering the weekend saver if you don't have one now. Prop, puller, key, nut and cotter pin in one foam padded case. Very handy and with GB a typically a great deal.

Koop

If you want more low end grunt the OJ is a better choice and does great on a '05 VLX (for wakeboarding/surfing and if I was on an open lake I'd run that. Anything is better than the 537 which is a slug out of the hole loadup.