Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pop-up cleats on the bow?

ds53652

I curious why the Malibu's don't come with pop-up cleats on the bow area. Having to tie an anchor to the bow eye is very challenging.

Has anyone ever had bow cleats added to their BU? Does anyone know if the factory will add them?

Thanks in advance

I have added pop up bow and aft cleats to my 93 Sunsetter.

They are wonderful, I opted not to spend the extra cash for ones that said "Malibu". I was about tapped out on the project and had to spend the $$ in other areas.

I have seen at the boat show over the past couple of years, that Malibu is adding the pop ups fore and aft.

They're not cheap but well worth it.

Ken

I curious why the Malibu's don't come with pop-up cleats on the bow area. Having to tie an anchor to the bow eye is very challenging.

Has anyone ever had bow cleats added to their BU? Does anyone know if the factory will add them?

Thanks in advance

If you do not want to add the cleats one thing you can do is buy the JUMBO 6.25" Carabiners (think Harbor Freight) and clip the big Carabiner over the bow rail. Get the ones with the rubber padding on one side.

http://www.wplaser.com/Carabiners.html?gclid=CIzyoNTz254CFSn6agodoFhLJQ

I keep a couple on board to facilitate rafting up with another boat, especially bigger craft than mine.

I have cleats and I use the good braided dock line for my fenders. On occasion the cleats are not in the optimum spot. The big Caribiners give me an additional option.

Edited by DONTW8

I have added pop up bow and aft cleats to my 93 Sunsetter.

They are wonderful, I opted not to spend the extra cash for ones that said "Malibu". I was about tapped out on the project and had to spend the $$ in other areas.

I have seen at the boat show over the past couple of years, that Malibu is adding the pop ups fore and aft.

They're not cheap but well worth it.

Ken

Did you install the pop up cleats yourself??? My echelon has no cleats what so ever and pop ups are on my to do list.

I added a pull up cleat behind the fixed bow light. With the pop up light there is not enough room IIRC. I use it for anchoring for lunch, etc. I love it! I used a 6" Attwood Neat Cleat. Only had to drill 2 holes vs. using a jig saw for a true pop up...

Attwood Neat Cleat

Edit: with stiff rope the 4" is too small, so I went with a 6".

Edited by Faceplant409

I added a pull up cleat behind the fixed bow light. With the pop up light there is not enough room IIRC. I use it for anchoring for lunch, etc. I love it! I used a 6" Attwood Neat Cleat. Only had to drill 2 holes vs. using a jig saw for a true pop up...

Attwood Neat Cleat

Edit: with stiff rope the 4" is too small, so I went with a 6".

Bass Pro Shops has them cheaper than the West Marine link...

Pop up cleats can be added at the factory...

I don't see any snubber's on those lines? Stress cracks waiting to happen!?

Bass Pro Shops has them cheaper than the West Marine link...

$10 bucks more and you can have Malibu engraved into the cleat. Malibu Boats Cleats Your a paid Malibu Crew member so you have access to a coupon code on the crew website.

Don't forget the backing plates and to counter sink the holes you drill.

-Paul

If you decide to order the bow cleats, ask where they will be installed on your boat. Not sure what your looking for, but my factory bow cleats are no where near the bow. They are even with the dashboard, which to me is a worthless spot.

Edited by electricjohn

If you decide to order the bow cleats, ask where they will be installed on your boat. Not sure what your looking for, but my factory bow cleats are no where near the bow. They are even with the dashboard, which to me is a worthless spot.

Are you sure those are not the 4 "standard" spots? (2@ dash and 2 @ rear?)

Are you sure those are not the 4 "standard" spots? (2@ dash and 2 @ rear?)

Thats where mine are located too. We usually use them without any issues.

I will also tie off to a SS carabiner & the clip it to the bow or stern rings if I need to ( like when using an Anchor Buddy).

I like having my pop ups even with the dash, as it is the "broadest" part of the boat...which makes sense for hanging a fender off while docking. On the rare occassion that I anchor, I usually run the anchor line thru the bow eye, and then tie it off on the pop up cleat (equal w/ the dash).

Thanks in advance

I installed these. It is great tho have them when you need them.

They are SS, o-ringed so they dont leak into the boat, and reinforced under the deck. Plus I added some thin plywood for extra support.

post-144-126126140943_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sunsetter95