Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trouble with manual wedge

feez

Ok so i have a 2005 malibu v ride we picked up in michigan in late august. When we got i noticed that the wedge was hard to put down and up. I have figured out how to put it down i just have to lift up a tad but to get it back up i have to get in the water, i mean not a biggie because after my wakeboard i can usually just put it up before i hop in but just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem with the manual wedge.

Ok so i have a 2005 malibu v ride we picked up in michigan in late august. When we got i noticed that the wedge was hard to put down and up. I have figured out how to put it down i just have to lift up a tad but to get it back up i have to get in the water, i mean not a biggie because after my wakeboard i can usually just put it up before i hop in but just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem with the manual wedge.

Is it because the pins won't squeeze together with one hand or becuase it's too hard to lift?

What I have found to be the eaiest way to do this is to lay down on your stomach on your sun pad over the engine. Facing the rear of the boat, open the trap door in the swim platform. From there you should have an easy angle at raising and lowering the wedge. I found it difficult to do it form any other angle or position.

There are two not as obvious causes for the manual wedge to be hard to raise/lower.

1) The bolts at the top of the wedge are too tight. Loosen them slightly to see if the wedge is easier to move, but not loose enough to cause any movement in the connection.

2) The arms are press-fit onto the middle cross-bar and can tend to loosen slightly over time.

A wood clamp over the center bar or hitting it from both sides at the same time with rubber mallets or hammers should reseat it.

I had both problems show up during the summer '08. Number 2 was the biggest culprit, followed by #1.

I used a prop grease that I had laying around from my previous boat to lube the wedge arms. Much easier to raise & lower ever since.