Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Price check on aisle 23 LSV?

ds53652

About to place an order and drop a deposit down for a 2010 23' LSV. I know from past boat purchases that the dealers show you "msrp" and then show you a huge (5 figure) discount to give you that warm and fuzzy "I'm getting a good deal" feeling. This is standard and they do this for ALL customers. So I expected this and the quote revisions coming back from the dealer all had this large discount. I'm purchasing/ordering the boat now in hopes of getting additional "fall" discounts and to take advantage of the Malibu Rockin' Xmas event (essentially a free PowerWedge, which has a $2020 MSRP).

I'd like to get input from others who have bought a Malibu recently (within the last 2 years) to see what kind of discounts were had and to try and determine what I should expect.

MSRP for the boat optioned the way I want is $96,784. Take $2020 out for the free PowerWedge and you're looking at $94,764. There is obviously taxes, dealer prep, freight, title, documentation fees etc, but let's just focus on the boat numbers.

What kind of discount off of the $94,764 should I be expecting this time of year?

I know there are dealers on this site as well, so if you would feel more comfortable, please feel free to PM me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ds53652

About to place an order and drop a deposit down for a 2010 23' LSV. I know from past boat purchases that the dealers show you "msrp" and then show you a huge (5 figure) discount to give you that warm and fuzzy "I'm getting a good deal" feeling. This is standard and they do this for ALL customers. So I expected this and the quote revisions coming back from the dealer all had this large discount. I'm purchasing/ordering the boat now in hopes of getting additional "fall" discounts and to take advantage of the Malibu Rockin' Xmas event (essentially a free Maliview, which has a $2025 MSRP).

I'd like to get input from others who have bought a Malibu recently (within the last 2 years) to see what kind of discounts were had and to try and determine what I should expect.

MSRP for the boat optioned the way I want is $96,784. Take $2025 out for the free Maliview and you're looking at $94,759. There is obviously taxes, dealer prep, freight, title, documentation fees etc, but let's just focus on the boat numbers.

What kind of discount off of the $94,759 should I be expecting this time of year?

I know there are dealers on this site as well, so if you would feel more comfortable, please feel free to PM me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Wow, based on a similar thread a while back on a 247, I would hope you would be getting around $20-25K off that at least.

Edited by Ndawg12

About to place an order and drop a deposit down for a 2010 23' LSV. I know from past boat purchases that the dealers show you "msrp" and then show you a huge (5 figure) discount to give you that warm and fuzzy "I'm getting a good deal" feeling. This is standard and they do this for ALL customers. So I expected this and the quote revisions coming back from the dealer all had this large discount. I'm purchasing/ordering the boat now in hopes of getting additional "fall" discounts and to take advantage of the Malibu Rockin' Xmas event (essentially a free Maliview, which has a $2025 MSRP).

MSRP for the boat optioned the way I want is $96,784. Take $2025 out for the free Maliview and you're looking at $94,759. There is obviously taxes, dealer prep, freight, title, documentation fees etc, but let's just focus on the boat numbers.

What kind of discount off of the $94,759 should I be expecting this time of year?

Thanks in advance

What motor is in your quoted price, what tower options, what stereo options. You can save yourself some significant money by doing without a stereo (other than black box) and without tower speakers, lights, etc.. and going aftermarket. You will get better gear at a better price.

Curious to see what kind of options you're talking about here, that seems awfull high depending what the engine is.

Thanks in advance

I didn't purchase the famous LSV, VLX or VTX. but I did just recently purchase a VRide with alot of the options that are available for the boat that doesn't get recognized on this site. The MSRP with trailer was just around 77k. Picked it up for just over 55k OTD. That's even Crook County (Chicago) taxes included.

What motor is in your quoted price, what tower options, what stereo options. You can save yourself some significant money by doing without a stereo (other than black box) and without tower speakers, lights, etc.. and going aftermarket. You will get better gear at a better price.

Curious to see what kind of options you're talking about here, that seems awfull high depending what the engine is.

Your options do come into play big time. List some of them out for us to see. Good luck on your new purchase :-)

You are right to focus on the % off MSRP. The MSRP is set, but the discount off MSRP is negotiable. Even though Malibu Boats and others have been known to put the magic percentage number right out there, I do not think it is fair to the dealers. The last thing any of us need is for one more Malibu dealer to bite the dust............especially if it happens to be the dealer who has had your back for years, or the only one around for miles and miles. Discussing pricing online is truly a double edged sword.

Thnx everyone for the input. Below is the list of options I'm going with:

• 2010 23 LSV w/ G3 tower
    MLS (center, left & right ballast)
    Forward ballast
    Docking lights
    Driver's seat heater
    Dual bats & perko switch
    Bimini
    Snap-in/out carpet
    Pop-up bow light
    Stainless pylon
    Transom underwater lights
    Power Wedge
    CS Boat Cover w/Tower Cutouts
    Precision Pro Speed Control
    Maliview
    Stainless Steel Gauge Panel & Glove Box Door
    Malibu Vortec 8100 - 450hp, EFI-MPI
    Silent Tip Exhaust
    Flush Kit
    2 Pair of Pull-up Cleats
    Boatmate tandom-axle trailer
    Water Cooled Shaft Seal

I will be doing an aftermarket stereo system.

Thanks again...

I agree with you 100%. I do not want Malibu or any Malibu dealer going out of business. That wouldn't benefit me at all in the long run.

That being said, there are sales where a dealer makes great margin, sales where they make good margin and sales where they make almost no margin. I consider myself a very qualified customer. One that doesn't require financing and since I'm ordering a specific boat for me, I have no impact to the dealer's financial & inventory floorplanning. I'm just trying to get somewhere in the good margin to almost no margin sale range. I think that's fair and it still adds positively to their bottom line.

And trust me, I hear ya on the public posting of pricing....that's another reason why I suggested PMing me with the info. The Internet has definitely become a challenge for ALL retail industries. I own a business of my own that has been greatly impacted by the Internet and it's a real challenge to make margin on any product any more. Each industry is going to have to come to terms with the publicness of the Internet and how it's used for consumer purchasing education, decision making and information sharing. Manufacturers and retailers (dealers in this case) alike have to deal with this challenge together because it isn't going away. In my specific business, I've moved towards a service-based margin model and put less emphasis on product margins. I'm rambling now, but this is a very interesting topic that I could discuss for hours. But point well taken....however.... I'm not going to shy away from using the Internet to become an educated shopper myself. Whistling.gif

You are right to focus on the % off MSRP. The MSRP is set, but the discount off MSRP is negotiable. Even though Malibu Boats and others have been known to put the magic percentage number right out there, I do not think it is fair to the dealers. The last thing any of us need is for one more Malibu dealer to bite the dust............especially if it happens to be the dealer who has had your back for years, or the only one around for miles and miles. Discussing pricing online is truly a double edged sword.

Thnx everyone for the input. Below is the list of options I'm going with:

• 2010 23 LSV w/ G3 tower
    MLS (center, left & right ballast)
    Forward ballast
    Docking lights
    Driver's seat heater
    Dual bats & perko switch
    Bimini
    Snap-in/out carpet
    Pop-up bow light
    Stainless pylon
    Transom underwater lights
    Power Wedge
    CS Boat Cover w/Tower Cutouts
    Precision Pro Speed Control
    Maliview
    Stainless Steel Gauge Panel & Glove Box Door
    Malibu Vortec 8100 - 450hp, EFI-MPI
    Silent Tip Exhaust
    Flush Kit
    2 Pair of Pull-up Cleats
    Boatmate tandom-axle trailer
    Water Cooled Shaft Seal

I will be doing an aftermarket stereo system.

Thanks again...

those are about the bare minimum you would want for options. I assume you have a heater as well to go with the heated seats?

Unless the CS cover is almost free, i would cancel that and get a cover from evolution boat covers you will be way happier with that.

is the flush kit an inline flush pro or the water hose adapter thing that sticks out the back of the boat.

what color(s) is your boat going to be?

edit: actually, the 8.1 is definitely above bare minimum

Edited by Cervelo

I agree with you 100%. I do not want Malibu or any Malibu dealer going out of business. That wouldn't benefit me at all in the long run.

That being said, there are sales where a dealer makes great margin, sales where they make good margin and sales where they make almost no margin. I consider myself a very qualified customer. One that doesn't require financing and since I'm ordering a specific boat for me, I have no impact to the dealer's financial & inventory floorplanning. I'm just trying to get somewhere in the good margin to almost no margin sale range. I think that's fair and it still adds positively to their bottom line.

And trust me, I hear ya on the public posting of pricing....that's another reason why I suggested PMing me with the info. The Internet has definitely become a challenge for ALL retail industries. I own a business of my own that has been greatly impacted by the Internet and it's a real challenge to make margin on any product any more. Each industry is going to have to come to terms with the publicness of the Internet and how it's used for consumer purchasing education, decision making and information sharing. Manufacturers and retailers (dealers in this case) alike have to deal with this challenge together because it isn't going away. In my specific business, I've moved towards a service-based margin model and put less emphasis on product margins. I'm rambling now, but this is a very interesting topic that I could discuss for hours. But point well taken....however.... I'm not going to shy away from using the Internet to become an educated shopper myself. Whistling.gif

Well said. Godspeed. :salute:

Consider -

Folding Tongue on the Trailer (reduces length by about 2 feet when folded).

Spare Tire and Mount.

Two Axle Disc Brakes.

Agree on the cover comment - you have to do some tricks to tow with the standard cover / straps.

Ndawg,

is this the thread you're referring to?

Wow, based on a similar thread a while back on a 247, I would hope you would be getting around $20-25K off that at least.

Cervelo,

Heater - definitely still considering it. Anybody know what the going rate is for 2 and 3 position heaters?

Cover - agreed and will do...but this is where the current quote is (with stock cover) so that's what I was using as an example.

Flush kit - Not sure to be honest with you. Didn't know there were different types. It's listed as a manufacturer

option, but it doesn't specify which it is. I'll be sure and ask that. Anybody know what type the factory one is?

Colors - I'm waiting on some examples to arrive at the dealer for blue and black metallic. I also know the metallic options are not cheap. So it will either be dark or midnight blue and black or the metallic blue and black depending on where the deal ends up dollar wise.

Thnx Sir!

those are about the bare minimum you would want for options. I assume you have a heater as well to go with the heated seats?

Unless the CS cover is almost free, i would cancel that and get a cover from evolution boat covers you will be way happier with that.

is the flush kit an inline flush pro or the water hose adapter thing that sticks out the back of the boat.

what color(s) is your boat going to be?

edit: actually, the 8.1 is definitely above bare minimum

Edited by ds53652

Thnx Soon2BV!

I don't need the folding tongue trailer so hopefully I can save some there. Thumbup.gif

I assumed the spare tire and belly mount and the two axle disc brakes were standard on the Boatmate. At least it came across that way in discussions with the dealer. I will verify for sure, but yes, agreed they are must have options.

Thnx Sir!

Consider -

Folding Tongue on the Trailer (reduces length by about 2 feet when folded).

Spare Tire and Mount.

Two Axle Disc Brakes.

Agree on the cover comment - you have to do some tricks to tow with the standard cover / straps.

Cervelo,

Heater - definitely still considering it. Anybody know what the going rate is for 2 and 3 position heaters?

Cover - agreed and will do...but this is where the current quote is (with stock cover) so that's what I was using as an example.

Flush kit - Not sure to be honest with you. Didn't know there were different types. It's listed as a manufacturer

option, but it doesn't specify which it is. I'll be sure and ask that. Anybody know what type the factory one is?

Colors - I'm waiting on some examples to arrive at the dealer for blue and black metallic. I also know the metallic options are not cheap. So it will either be dark or midnight blue and black or the metallic blue and black depending on where the deal ends up dollar wise.

Thnx Sir!

Couple things to take note of. The custom metalic colors are really expensive options. That engine is over an $8K upgrade as well. These are options you can't negotiate much on in the price. The other thing about buying a custom ordered boat is that you will not be recieving a discount like you found in that thread you linked to, those prices are strictly found on in-stock boats (unless you have a buddy that owns a dealership or something). I don't have a clue what the snap out carpet costs but I'm sure it's an upcharge. The 3 position heater is about $550 if I remember correctly from my boat. If you're doing a custom stereo I'd go with a 2 position heater to give you more room under the drivers dash. The 3 position heater doesn't do the passengers any good as you will have 2 tubes under the drivers dash and one in the walkthrough. If you wanted heat in the cabin since you're ordering the boat have them throw another 2 position heater in the back of the boat.

When you start narrowing it down further on the options and get ready to order that's when you start negotiating with your dealer. You should be able to do better than the quoted price. You could save yourself some real coin by dropping down one on the engine options, you don't need the BB 8.1L in a 23'. I'm sure it would be nice to have and all but for the price I think the LS3 would be money in that boat. I've got the HammerHead and it's enough for my boat and there is no way in hell I would pay the upcharge for the BB 8.1L.

Couple things to take note of. The custom metalic colors are really expensive options. That engine is over an $8K upgrade as well. These are options you can't negotiate much on in the price. The other thing about buying a custom ordered boat is that you will not be recieving a discount like you found in that thread you linked to, those prices are strictly found on in-stock boats (unless you have a buddy that owns a dealership or something). I don't have a clue what the snap out carpet costs but I'm sure it's an upcharge. The 3 position heater is about $550 if I remember correctly from my boat. If you're doing a custom stereo I'd go with a 2 position heater to give you more room under the drivers dash. The 3 position heater doesn't do the passengers any good as you will have 2 tubes under the drivers dash and one in the walkthrough. If you wanted heat in the cabin since you're ordering the boat have them throw another 2 position heater in the back of the boat.

When you start narrowing it down further on the options and get ready to order that's when you start negotiating with your dealer. You should be able to do better than the quoted price. You could save yourself some real coin by dropping down one on the engine options, you don't need the BB 8.1L in a 23'. I'm sure it would be nice to have and all but for the price I think the LS3 would be money in that boat. I've got the HammerHead and it's enough for my boat and there is no way in hell I would pay the upcharge for the BB 8.1L.

with regard to the heaters, the 3 outlet model outputs more btu's than the 2 outlet.

I agree with 06vlx on the big block. I have the Hammerhead with the high altitude prop (Acme 1235) and my boat has an extremely potent holeshot. If I was offered the BB for free I would pass.

If your boat will be used for wakeboarding, you should definitely go for the Acme 1235 or similar. I would also add the hot water shower. I like to warm up the neoprene before it hits the goose bumps and high beams. A shot of hot directly into the wetsuit helps take the initial bite out of a cold plunge.

I also like the rear sundeck walk over. Other than just looking good, it helps keep traffic off the vinyl and reduces the size of the hatch lids. Even with the walkover, the hatch lids are big and heavy.

If you do not get the rear lounge remote, you will be left with an area that looks like it is missing a rear lounge remote. Check some pix and you will see what I mean.

Cervelo,

Thnx Sir!

The factory flush kit is the connector on the back. There is another thread discussing this with the picture of the connector. It is silver and sticks out the back of the transom.

Just to let you know my experience, I originally was thinking I would get it to do my winterization. I didn't realize that you actually need water pressure to flip the valve from freshwater to hose water, it thought it would just pull from the hose (first boat, what can I tell you Dontknow.gif ). Without a pump, you can't get anti-freeze under pressure to flip the valve, so it isn't particularly useful for winterization.

In any case, I use it to start the boat in the driveway in the spring to make sure everything is OK before dropping it in the water. I pay my dealer to winterize. In short, I don't use it.

You may want to consider that fold away tongue on the trailer for resale value. For many it could mean the difference between fitting in the garage or not fitting in the garage.

I agree with 06vlx on the big block. I have the Hammerhead with the high altitude prop (Acme 1235) and my boat has an extremely potent holeshot. If I was offered the BB for free I would pass.

If your boat will be used for wakeboarding, you should definitely go for the Acme 1235 or similar. I would also add the hot water shower. I like to warm up the neoprene before it hits the goose bumps and high beams. A shot of hot directly into the wetsuit helps take the initial bite out of a cold plunge.

I also like the rear sundeck walk over. Other than just looking good, it helps keep traffic off the vinyl and reduces the size of the hatch lids. Even with the walkover, the hatch lids are big and heavy.

If you do not get the rear lounge remote, you will be left with an area that looks like it is missing a rear lounge remote. Check some pix and you will see what I mean.

Absolutely agree, that rear deck walkover is a must. The rear lounge remote just completes the look of the interior. If you don't get it you will have a dull aluminum plate that says malibu there, just doesn't look right.

Here is a pic of the rear transom walkover pad and the rear lounge remote on my boat.

Newboat4.jpg

I like your views ds. good luck on the purchase.

Who stands on the rear hatches? We're always sitting or laying. Now the seats are a different subject.

How do you sit or lay your way from the swim platform to the interior of the boat? You must have some special skills.

Absolutely agree, that rear deck walkover is a must. The rear lounge remote just completes the look of the interior. If you don't get it you will have a dull aluminum plate that says malibu there, just doesn't look right.

Here is a pic of the rear transom walkover pad and the rear lounge remote on my boat.

Newboat4.jpg

I considered the walkover but decided against it. It is nice having the full padded area back there. Again, you and yours will spend more time laying/hanging out back there than walking over that padded area.

I considered the walkover but decided against it. It is nice having the full padded area back there. Again, you and yours will spend more time laying/hanging out back there than walking over that padded area.

True but the safety benefits (less slippery of course) of the added traction and the reduction of foot traffic on the rear sun deck (where everyone has to walk) far outweighed any cons I could think of. After using the traction pad the reduced weight/size of the rear locker lids turned out to be a nice break for the pistons that like to strip out the screws, haven't had that issue at all.

Probably the biggest benefit of all for the walkover pad is being able to lift the small section up and reach into the warming tray without lifting up the hatches. It is certainly not uncomfortable back there with the walkover pad to lay or lounge, but less so than if it had full vinyl padding. I've had both and prefer the walkover pad myself.

Edited by 06vlx

I prefer the gull wing doors to the walk-over, I can appreciate the concept, but it just takes away the classic look. I've got the rear controller between the rear seats, to be honest it's a WOM no one ever remembers it and the driver is always the one who is in charge. That's the beauty you can order it your way...