Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23LSV or 24.7???

Jdog55

I am buying a bigger boat this winter. (currently own VTX) I live and play on Lake Tahoe. For those of you not familiar with the jewel of the Sierra... Its big 26 miles long 11 wide. Not your ideal location for flat water fun. Its almost always choppy and when we get weather its downright oceanic. Therfore I was leaning 24.7 just to give me more to take on the big water when it comes. Money is not a factor in this decision.

Recently spoke to my salesmen who surpisingly was pushing me towards the 23LSV. (Surprisingly because he stands to get an extra 10K out of me for the 24.7) He seemed to think the 23 had a much better ride and you didn't sacarifice too much as far as interior space and big water handling. Just wondering what the crew thinks? I thought maybe he had some incentive to sell the 23 but maybe he's just being honest. Go figure an honest salesmen? Let me have it... Thanks in advance.

I am buying a bigger boat this winter. (currently own VTX) I live and play on Lake Tahoe. For those of you not familiar with the jewel of the Sierra... Its big 26 miles long 11 wide. Not your ideal location for flat water fun. Its almost always choppy and when we get weather its downright oceanic. Therfore I was leaning 24.7 just to give me more to take on the big water when it comes. Money is not a factor in this decision.

Recently spoke to my salesmen who surpisingly was pushing me towards the 23LSV. (Surprisingly because he stands to get an extra 10K out of me for the 24.7) He seemed to think the 23 had a much better ride and you didn't sacarifice too much as far as interior space and big water handling. Just wondering what the crew thinks? I thought maybe he had some incentive to sell the 23 but maybe he's just being honest. Go figure an honest salesmen? Let me have it... Thanks in advance.

Bigger is better for the ride.

My first concern would be turning radius for picking up a rider, assuming you use your boat for water sports. My 23 turns extremely well for a 23, but I like driving a VLX way better. I have never driven a 247. No way I would buy either without an in water demo. Seriously.

http://www.boatinglife.com/article/Reviews/Malibu-Wakesetter-247-LSV

I saw this article about the 247 which mentions rough water and how it easily handled it. If you are in water that either the 23 or 247 can't handle, it probably isn't going to matter much if you had the other one. I really can't see there being such a big difference in rough water ride that you would find yourself saying that you wanted the other boat. That being said, the salesman probably knows more than I do, but I would find it difficult to believe that the shorter 23 would be better in rough water than the 247. I went from a 20 footer to a 21.5 when I bought an 08 VLX and I can say that the rough water ride was easier to deal with, but I am no expert. An extra foot and 7 inches is a good size difference and that means the waves would have to be that much bigger in order to threaten your boat.

So either way, in semi rough waters you will want to keep your bow down and plow through the waves, but whether you are in the 23 or 247, if the waves get any rougher you are going to need to be cautious and slow no matter what. I would just imagine that the 247 would give a little smoother of a ride in rough water.

Again, I am not an expert, just my opinion.

Somewhat related, but not specifically to the "which would ride best in chop" discussion.....

I would have gone with the 247 had it had the little step down/cutout seat/step on the transom like the 23' LSV has. Without it, the step down from the sundeck/pad to the swim platform is huge!!!

My $.02

Edited by ds53652

I own a 247 so take this for what it is worth...

My 247 turns and handles on par with my friends 23 LSV. The 247 has a bit more freeboard and is quite a bit larger inside. We have put 15 adults in my boat for a cruise and never felt cramped or lacking for space. The only time the 247 does not like to turn is when it is fully loaded with ballast, the wedge is down and we are surfing. But then again what boat does react well in that situation. It handles the chop well, but is still not a smooth riding boat like a deep V hull.

The bow of the 247 does however sit nearly as low to the water line as the 23 and yes I have taken a roller or two over it. Crazy.gif

If price was not an option and storage was not an issue, then I would definitely go with the 247. My boat sits nearly 11' tall to the top of the tower when on the trailer, and is 9'6" wide from guide post to guide post. Even with the tower folded it is well above 8' tall. There is no way that boat is going in a normal garage. My friend's 23 LSV does fit in his 8' tall garage with the tower folded.

If you do not buy a 247 over a 23 you will wish you had. I have owned both. Though the 23 is a great boat I could never go down to that size after owning the 247. The boat handles extremely well for its size. There is not much difference between the two when it comes to handling. The play pen area is huge and very comfortable. For what its worth.....

If you do not buy a 247 over a 23 you will wish you had. I have owned both. Though the 23 is a great boat I could never go down to that size after owning the 247. The boat handles extremely well for its size. There is not much difference between the two when it comes to handling. The play pen area is huge and very comfortable. For what its worth.....

Thanks to everyone that replied all good information... I appreciate your insight and advise