Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

removing grime from rear deck upholstery

phenom152

hey was curious to know of a product that i can buy easily to remove very tough stain possibly mildew from vinyl at engine compartment have tried, mildew remover with bleach, goo gone vinyl cleaner, simple green, orange cleaner, etc still no luck there has got to be somthing out there that will work its like a brownish black in spots also what will take the black streaks from a wakeboard or other object rubbed on vinyl accidently off , and what will brighten up the white upholstrey

Edited by phenom152

hey was curious to know of a product that i can buy easily to remove very tough stain possibly mildew from vinyl at engine compartment have tried, mildew remover with bleach, goo gone vinyl cleaner, simple green, orange cleaner, etc still no luck there has got to be somthing out there that will work its like a brownish black in spots also what will take the black streaks from a wakeboard or other object rubbed on vinyl accidently off , and what will brighten up the white upholstrey

MALCO- leather vinyl and plastic cleaner. I did my whole boat prior to winterizing and everyone at the dealer noticed the difference. I followed up with a good dose of babes conditioner.

Edited by liljohn

Mr. Clean magic eraser believe it or not work really good.

As far as any coloring left from a wakeboard, if the cleaners don't get it off, usually just a good weekend or two of direct sun will clear it up.

Mr. Clean magic eraser believe it or not work really good.

As far as any coloring left from a wakeboard, if the cleaners don't get it off, usually just a good weekend or two of direct sun will clear it up.

I second the motion on The Bald Guy's magic erasers !!! It's amazing how good they work !!

I second the motion on The Bald Guy's magic erasers !!! It's amazing how good they work !!

i wonder if the magic eraser slightly abrades the finish on the vinyl but when all else fails i think i prefer to pull the stains rather than worry about the long term effects.

given the rips at the piping and general degradation from the sun i suspect that the long term fix is new skins, anyway.

i used magic eraser in combination with the mfgr. recommended vinyl cleaner.

sure brought up a lot of mud from vinyl that looked clean to begin with.

my white vinyl looks MUCH whiter now.

I have used Soft Scrub with bleach with good success. I use it with the Scott Blue cotton/paper shop towels. I only use it sparingly in the problem areas. I then follow up with the 409 cleaner and wipe it off using very damp cotton towels. My upholstery is in as new shape as my boat is a garage queen.

I keep 409 spray cleaner in the boat to keep upholstery clean. But it will not remove stains. I also keep several white small towels onboard to use with the 409 and rinse out in the lake as necessary.

To keep the fiberglass surfaces bright I keep some "ICE" car polish in the boat also and microfibre towels to wipe it off the clean gelcoat surface.

How long are these guys supposed to last? They work great for getting rid of mildew, stains etc. but I find they only work for one outing. That about the best to expect?

My experience, oh wait, I mean my G.F.'s experience, is that they usually only last about 2 applications worth. It depends how dirty and how hard you are scrubbing with them. Just make this a Mrs. Bad Dog job. That's what I do. Wait, I don't mean I make your wife clean my upholstery, we're just friends. Oh, wait, I said too much.

My experience, oh wait, I mean my G.F.'s experience, is that they usually only last about 2 applications worth. It depends how dirty and how hard you are scrubbing with them. Just make this a Mrs. Bad Dog job. That's what I do. Wait, I don't mean I make your wife clean my upholstery, we're just friends. Oh, wait, I said too much.

It's a nice thought but first I have to get Mrs Baddog out on the boat. That would be nice. I think she only made it once this year.

Your response to what??

i attempted to respond to the question you posted (below).

guess i didn't communicate that as swell as i should have. my bad.

How long are these guys supposed to last? They work great for getting rid of mildew, stains etc. but I find they only work for one outing. That about the best to expect?

I have used Soft Scrub with bleach with good success. I use it with the Scott Blue cotton/paper shop towels. I only use it sparingly in the problem areas. I then follow up with the 409 cleaner and wipe it off using very damp cotton towels. My upholstery is in as new shape as my boat is a garage queen.

I keep 409 spray cleaner in the boat to keep upholstery clean. But it will not remove stains. I also keep several white small towels onboard to use with the 409 and rinse out in the lake as necessary. To keep the fiberglass surfaces bright I keep some "ICE" car polish in the boat also and microfibre towels to wipe it off the clean gelcoat surface.

Why would you pollute your lake with 409, is it biodegradable Dontknow.gif .

Edited by 06vlx

...To keep the fiberglass surfaces bright I keep some "ICE" car polish in the boat also and microfibre towels to wipe it off the clean gelcoat surface.

fwiw; i used turtle wax 'ice' for a couple of seasons and loved the quick application.

i quit using it because my white deck was showing too much yellow.

I DON'T KNOW if the yellowing was due to the 'ice' or if the yellowing is typical for the white glass on a 2004.

i figured that changing something was better than staying with the (yellowing) status quo.

spent a few days with a compound wheel then a polish wheel; looking bristol now.

i plan to drop back to a good quality carnuba paste wax and keep an eye on the yellowing.

another 5 or 6 years should tell me something.

In response to the biodegradeable question the amount of 409 in my wiping towel is not enough to make a difference. Most of my cleaning maintenance takes place in my garage anyway. I have a fleet of 5 gallon pails that I fill with hot/warm water from my garage spigot. I rinse out my towels in the pail. I throw out the dirty water onto my lawn. The on the water cleaning is what I do for touch up on my multiple day trips such as my annual (since 1984) 9 day campout, Portland, and the Sacramento Delta. The solution to polution is diloution. The smallest lake I go to is 6 square miles and averages 90 feet in depth. I have seen no change in turbidity in 25 years of camping there. For the others how much damage can I do to Billy Chinook (day trips only) , Willamette, Columbia, Shasta, or the Delta ?

I've been using Ice on my off white (with blue accent) boat for several years and I do not detect any yellowing although I do not have a bright white boat anyway. The ICE especially adds more "pop" to the dark blue surfaces and really makes my boat look new with not much work. I do use the ICE below the rub rail to the waterline also because it is so fast and easy.

I have not used any kind of other wax on my boat or cars for about 3 years. I am a detail kind of guy and was in the habit of waxing everything a half dozen times a year. Now I do the ICE application about twice as often, maybe 3 times on the Porsche. My 3 cars get washed minimum 40 times a year but part of that is due to my nicely lighted warm garage with floor drains so I can wash rigs inside on weeknights while watching tv or listening to smooth jazz.

I use the boat bling family of hot sauce and vinyl sauce seems to work great. I clean everything everyday after I pull it out of the water. I detail it once before the start of the season.