Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Options Questions

ds53652

Getting ready to order a 2010 23 LSV and was wondering what the following options are and any opinions on them:

Flush Kit

Water Cooled Shaft Seal

Thanks in advance!

Both worth the price. Flush kit allows you to flush by hooking hose to fitting on transom instead of using plunger under boat. Water cooled shaft seal means no messing with shaft packing and water constantly dripping in bilge. Get them both.

Go for it.

I have the water cooled shaft seal. Water from the engine water pump is "pushed" thru the seal from inside, keeing it cool and lubricated, and also keeping water out.

I added the flush kit and love it. I did not add the external fitting yet, not sure if i can bring myself to drill a hole in my baby!

Thnx everyone for the input, much appreciated!

There's one thing I'm still a little confused with. Why would I need the flush kit? If I understand correctly, it essentially allows the boat to be ran on-land and out of the water right? Outside of after oil changes and other similar maintenance, what is the purpose of it? Maybe after saltwater use?

Thanks again!

Thnx everyone for the input, much appreciated!

There's one thing I'm still a little confused with. Why would I need the flush kit? If I understand correctly, it essentially allows the boat to be ran on-land and out of the water right? Outside of after oil changes and other similar maintenance, what is the purpose of it? Maybe after saltwater use?

Thanks again!

that is pretty much it. I can see where it would be handy, but for the amount it gets used, am not sure it is worthwhile. Not that it would be an expensive option, it is just that i personally do not care for the look of it.

Thnx Cervelo,

By 'the look of it', what do you mean? Where is the hook-up located?

that is pretty much it. I can see where it would be handy, but for the amount it gets used, am not sure it is worthwhile. Not that it would be an expensive option, it is just that i personally do not care for the look of it.

Instead of purchasing a flush kit, if you're only going to use it to warm up the engine for oil changes, just drain the oil after your last trip back from the lake? If you operate in a saltwater water environment it's a must.

Instead of purchasing a flush kit, if you're only going to use it to warm up the engine for oil changes, just drain the oil after your last trip back from the lake? If you operate in a saltwater water environment it's a must.

Plus1.gif for what ever reason my oil drains much faster and complete if I change it after a good run on the water as opposed to letting it idle up to temp for 20 minutes or so in the driveway.

2010 MSRP pricing..........

transom flush kit 254.00

water cooled shaft seal 79.00

Remember that any negotiated discount off MSRP applies to options as well as the boat and trailer. Your final cost for these options may very well be less than stated above.

In my opinion, the water cooled shaft seal is a no brainer. If you do your own maintainence, the transom flush kit is fool proof and a no brainer as well. In addition to oil and trans fluid changes, I have used my flush kit for checking alternator voltage, checking for electrical interference noise after sound system changes or new install, tracking down mechanical noises, checking for oil/trans fluid/water leaks, fogging the engine, ect.

The flush kit make winterization much easier. That is from a mechanic or a do it yourselfer. Have a flush kit in a boat when I go to winterize is so much nicer then a fake a lake and you don't have to worry if the fake a lake happen to fall over while you get in and out of the boat.

Thnx Cervelo,

By 'the look of it', what do you mean? Where is the hook-up located?

i mean that to my eye, they look fugly sticking out the back of the boat. You use it every 50 hours (unless you change your oil on the water with a drill pump) and when winterizing.

22509.jpg

I would rather use an in line Flush-Pro than have that stick out the back of my boat.

43092.jpg

I use something like this (wrong picture, this is for an outboard), it clips to the scupper so you do not have to worry about it falling off if the leg of a fake a lake slips (for times when i change the oil off the water and when winterizing)

54526.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

Where on the transom does this outlet reside? Is it near the bottom by the drain plug?

It's usually on the drivers side rear of the the boat on the rear transom above the swim platform. It's very noticeable.

Oh wow...yeah, that ain't happenin'! LOL

It's usually on the drivers side rear of the the boat on the rear transom above the swim platform. It's very noticeable.

i have the flush kit, but not the external connection.

It is easy to just connect the hose to the flush kit valve and then start the engine.

I might connect a length of hose and coil it near the back of the engine compartment so i can make the connection outside the boat.