Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manual Wedge downforce

wakeboy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wakeboy

• WakeGirl

• Nicvtx

• Bake's Marine

As I have said before, my wedge looks identical to the floating wedge and I believe it is the missing bolts at the bottom of the wedge bracket that I am locking my wedge into to keep it in the down position. I was unaware that I was doing anything wrong until now. I am curious if anyone else has done anything similar to this.

Heard or read the 750# number here during previous discussions. Seems the number I was remembering was off, but the bent/angled fixed wedge is still slightly less downforce than the flat fixed wedge.

Heard or read the 750# number here during previous discussions. Seems the number I was remembering was off, but the bent/angled fixed wedge is still slightly less downforce than the flat fixed wedge.

Your right, the whole point of that bent wedge was to help improve steering on v-drive Wakesetter hull boats. When they did that bend it decreased it's resistance a little bit.

-Paul

Your right, the whole point of that bent wedge was to help improve steering on v-drive Wakesetter hull boats. When they did that bend it decreased it's resistance a little bit.

-Paul

Help improve steering on v-drive while creating a downforce? Or just to help improve steering in general?

Help improve steering on v-drive while creating a downforce? Or just to help improve steering in general?

I think Paul means that the fixed straight wedge created more downforce but steering and manueverablilty suffered greatly. By angling the foil the downforce was reduced by a few hundred pounds but steering and manueverability didn't suffer as much.

Ok then since I have a 2008 VLX I have to have a floating wedge that is missing the bottom bolts. Sweet, I have been using my wedge incorrectly. It just seemed so obvious that it should be locked down. Ok so when spring gets here and I get my boat back from storage, I will have to take a look at the bracket and probably get the bolts from the dealer to put back in those holes so the wedge can float and function properly. Man I really with I had known this 9 months ago.

I think Paul means that the fixed straight wedge created more downforce but steering and manueverablilty suffered greatly. By angling the foil the downforce was reduced by a few hundred pounds but steering and manueverability didn't suffer as much.

Thanks for the back up Ndawg!

-Paul

in overall what do you reccomend getting,

power wedge

or

floating wedge

money is no issue for me.

my dealer is willing to add the power wedge for me

If money wasn't an issue when you were buying a car would you get manual windows?

If money wasn't an issue when you were buying a car would you get manual windows?

What have you got against manual wondows? I love (I mean dislike with intensity) mine.

Is there any significant differecne between the two wedges in perfomance?

What have you got against manual wondows? I love (I mean dislike with intensity) mine.

Is there any significant differecne between the two wedges in perfomance?

Power has more displacement by a pretty negligible amount. Plus the option to shape wake. And the lack of PITA putting it down and up yourself. Get the power.

yeh moneys no option, i just wanted to see which one would suit me best, its the cut diamond hull so maybe i need that little bit extra weight simulation!!

will it really increase the wake shape and size

IMG_1348.jpg

heres my little brother hes doing bout 20mph and its just the 3 tanks full, 08 wakesetter vtx, cut diamond hull!

and another

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

Don't get me wrong Nic, it's a nice boat and all but, you need whatever help you can get to make that wake bigger. IMHO that's a little small.

Wow is that picture really a 08vtx? I guess thats what the cut diamond hull does to a wake

thats what im getting at pistol pete,

thats why i am asking will the wedge improve this, it is NO WEDGE at 20 mph

so will the power wedge increase its size at all?