Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing question on a 23 LSV what do I need

63Taylor

My best guess is that a typical tandem trailer weighs about 1K#

I forget where I got that number.

Okay from my trailer sticker: (21 v-ride)

GVWR= 5500

Max Load carrying ability = 4250

So Trailer weight should be 1250? Wow between the two of us Pete we are pretty accurate eh?

This is the way to calculate it right?

The thing that you need to remember is that with regard to the boat, the weight that Malibu states is not accurate. It doesn't include fluids (oil, gas), tower & a lot of other accessories. The example that I always use is the weight of our '06 VLX. Malibu states that it should weigh 3600 lbs, but the real world weight with the trailer was just shy of 5900 lbs. Also, the weight of a t/a trailer will be different depending on the boat. A newer VLX has different requirements than an older VLX because it's heavier, so the trailer itself will be a little heavier to accommodate the heavier boat. So a t/a trailer built for a Sportster will be much lighter than one built for a 23' LSV.

There is no substitute for weighing your own rig. I have weighed all of my toys on the Oregon weigh station scales during closed hours. In every case the weights are signifigantly higher than the factory supplied weights. Seek out a D.O.T. truck scale and see what I am refering to.

Pistol Packin' Pete is dead on about the transmission cooler. Especially on those rigs that have a relatively low "rated tow capacity" say under 7000#.

I've been a trailer sailor / rv guy since 1972. I've seen many transmission failures due to overheating. Only one was mine, then I went to add-on transmission coolers.

Thanks for the replies, I was Christmas shopping yesterday and never got back to check. Any rate the Expedition is old. It is a 97 with the large engine for that year and 4 wheel drive. Gas got so expensive a few years ago and I couldnt sell it for much with 5 dollar gas so I just parked it at the lake and tow the boat to the ramp with it. It never has any trouble with a 22 foot pontoon but I know these boats are much heavier.

Actually, honda is a little strange in this regard. It is rated at 3500 for "any" trailer, but is specifically rated at 4500 for a boat (they have apparently taken into account the better aerodynamic shape of a boat vs. a box trailer. Still sounds like I might be pushing it a bit.

I disagree that the malibu boat weights are wrong, but I do believe the statement is correct that it doesn't include fluids (6-7 qts of oil - 16 lbs, 55 gallons of fuel - 440 lbs, anything left in the ballast tank - 25 lbs?, and stowage gear - 0-500 lbs). Malibu lists the 2009 as 3800 lbs; + trailer (1200), it's not hard to see 5500.

Question, when these boats have a heater, is it automatically a closed loop cooling system? or does it just run the lake water through the heater core?

KK

It'll be closer to 5500+. Our VLX was rated at 3600 lbs according to Malibu, but moderately loaded she weighed in at almost 5900 lbs - that was coming back from the lake with a light load of fuel & was weighed disconnected from the tow rig. So I think that 5500+ is going to be very close.

It panned out quite well considering what we started with. :lol: The early Expis were pretty anemic, especially when they were paired with a 3.33 gear ratio. So it was all good. But it was no comparison with the current Expi.

Actually, honda is a little strange in this regard. It is rated at 3500 for "any" trailer, but is specifically rated at 4500 for a boat (they have apparently taken into account the better aerodynamic shape of a boat vs. a box trailer. Still sounds like I might be pushing it a bit.

I disagree that the malibu boat weights are wrong, but I do believe the statement is correct that it doesn't include fluids (6-7 qts of oil - 16 lbs, 55 gallons of fuel - 440 lbs, anything left in the ballast tank - 25 lbs?, and stowage gear - 0-500 lbs). Malibu lists the 2009 as 3800 lbs; + trailer (1200), it's not hard to see 5500.

Question, when these boats have a heater, is it automatically a closed loop cooling system? or does it just run the lake water through the heater core?

KK

It just pulls warm/hot water off the engine for the heater, doesn't mean it's a closed cooling system.

It's lake water unless you have a closed cooling system.

Wow, someone finally mentioned gearing. That makes all the difference, with both towing power and stress on a driveline. This too might have been mentioned in an earlier post,but never tow in overdrive. Treat that overdrive gear like it is made out of plastic. The key to keeping your transmission cool is to keep your RPM's up which will keep your torque converter locked up longer, thus reducing heat generating slippage. Some people like to tow in overdrive, thinking it will save gas. Not really true as it increases the "load" (a function of RPM's and engine manifold vacuum) on your engine and driveline. More load=more gas.

Edit; Load is what your engines computer mainly looks at for determining how much gas to pour into your engine and where to set the ignition timing. Other factors come into play, but they are minor.

EJohn,

When I tow I do use overdrive, but only on downhills or flats where I am not loading the tranny too much. On any incline at all I switch it out of OD. I have never had a tranny problem driving like this but am I doing damage that I simply can't see/feel yet? In your opinion is it OK as long as I am vigilant about the load I place on the drive train?

Thanks to this little thread i've made some progress on with my rig. I'm going to change my gear ratio from 3.55 to 3.9 ratio. That will give me an extra ton of towing capacity. Thank you to whoever started this thread :-)