Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you use your tower lights for?

McMiller

So isn't there a 5 mph after dark speed limit on WA lakes now?

Years ago we were booze cruisin in the slough at the north end of the lake. As we came out, it was fully dark, I was lookin for that piling thats at the west end of the course. As soon as I spotted it, I opened the boat up to maybe 20 or 25 mph...... and then someone turned their lights on right in front of us! :Doh:

Boat sex in the dark. We missed them by a few yards. Blew me away.

Uhm, would you care to elaborate or would it break the site ground rules about explicit material? Fingerwag.gif

Years ago we were booze cruisin in the slough at the north end of the lake. As we came out, it was fully dark, I was lookin for that piling thats at the west end of the course. As soon as I spotted it, I opened the boat up to maybe 20 or 25 mph...... and then someone turned their lights on right in front of us! :Doh:

Boat sex in the dark. We missed them by a few yards. Blew me away.

Yikes, a close call. That also helps illustrate my point. If you had your million power spot lit up, you wouldn't have been so close but certainly would have had a clearer view.

I get the law, and why, but practically speaking, being lit up like a summertime used car lot isn't exactly going to make it difficult to spot on the water, or what direction you are going(note I am talking about inland lakes that lack commercial traffic). It is just important to understand how much,uhm, legal leeway is available on any given lake, at any given time.

As for the 5mph speed limit. I looked all over WAC and did not find a statewide fixed speed limit. There are limits on specific lakes though. That is not to say there isn't a law, I just could not find any posted. Basically the limit was referring to/similar to the Coast Guard limit, which is conditions based.

Edited by MalibuTime

That is correct, except when you are running back to the boat launch on Lake Sam and the Indians are out there running around at 20-25 mph in there skiffs setting nets with NO lights of any kind, then I don't feel too bad lighting them up as I cruise back to the launch.

That is a really good point!!!!! I never saw them out this year, Salmon fishing was really bad on Samm this summer so that's probably why.

Years ago we were booze cruisin in the slough at the north end of the lake. As we came out, it was fully dark, I was lookin for that piling thats at the west end of the course. As soon as I spotted it, I opened the boat up to maybe 20 or 25 mph...... and then someone turned their lights on right in front of us! Doh.gif Boat sex in the dark. We missed them by a few yards. Blew me away.

I don't know of any rule of a speed limit at night? There should be one though.

When the Indians come on the lake to net Salmon they do what ever when ever the want. One year they parked all their boats and tied them up to every dock so there was no place to drop off. I've seen some pretty heated arguments when they are around.

-Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I have been pulled over 4 time, yes 4 times for running with my tower lights. All 4 times the officer could not give me a good reason that they were illegal, and could not cite code from book. But I agree with everyone else. Mostly useless except for trailering. Nightime docking with houseboat works good also.

I have been pulled over 4 time, yes 4 times for running with my tower lights. All 4 times the officer could not give me a good reason that they were illegal, and could not cite code from book. But I agree with everyone else. Mostly useless except for trailering. Nightime docking with houseboat works good also.

Hey ds welcome to TMC. What State are you in? The laws vary. I have no doubt that in Wa. they will be able to find the exact RCW to cite if they wanted to.

They are great for surfing, boarding or riding a foil at night or dusk. The problem is that not only can you see the wake, but now everyone around the lake can see what your doing too. So they tend to attract a ton of attention.

Mine attract mostly Bugs , best for looking cool and cleaning other then that Bug Lights...Also Hard to see, it's like driving with your dome light on in a car. Edited by VLX04

Hey ds welcome to TMC. What State are you in? The laws vary. I have no doubt that in Wa. they will be able to find the exact RCW to cite if they wanted to.

I live in Portland, Oregon and have almost been thrown in jail ( exageration) on the Willamette River once, and harassed on Lake Shasta, CA, the other 3 times, slightly before dusk. Ridiculous!!

I live in Portland, Oregon and have almost been thrown in jail ( exageration) on the Willamette River once, and harassed on Lake Shasta, CA, the other 3 times, slightly before dusk. Ridiculous!!

Is boating even legal on the Willamette still? (exaggerating too) Didn't any "wake making" devices get outlawed or something along those lines there?

-Paul

One year we were patrol boats at the hydro races at SeaFair. Some guy in a Sky Supreme with a tower & lights had a bunch of towels draped over the tower (and lights). Someone must have accidentally turned on the lights, which after a few minutes, set fire to the towels. The owner grabbed the towel to flip it off the boat, but the towel pulled apart, which flung little bits & pieces of fire all over the interior of the boat. By this time I'm hearing screaming of FIRE & we call it in to the Fire Dept. They respond as quickly as they can, but the guy gets it all put out as the approach him. His brand new boat has multiple burns throughout the interior.

Almost turned into something a lot worse.

One year we were patrol boats at the hydro races at SeaFair. Some guy in a Sky Supreme with a tower & lights had a bunch of towels draped over the tower (and lights). Someone must have accidentally turned on the lights, which after a few minutes, set fire to the towels. The owner grabbed the towel to flip it off the boat, but the towel pulled apart, which flung little bits & pieces of fire all over the interior of the boat. By this time I'm hearing screaming of FIRE & we call it in to the Fire Dept. They respond as quickly as they can, but the guy gets it all put out as the approach him. His brand new boat has multiple burns throughout the interior.

Almost turned into something a lot worse.

No IQ test required to own these boats.

What was the reason for being pulled over for the lights, Are they really illegal. Can anyone quote the rule or law when it comes to lights....

Here is Wa. law...

WAC 352-60-060

Navigation lights and shapes.

(1) The requirements in this section shall be complied with in all weathers. The requirements concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for lights specified by the United States Coast Guard, or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out. Lights and shapes shall meet the requirements for visibility, color, shape, and location as required by Chapter 33, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 81-72, Appendix A, Rules 21, 22, and Annex I, as amended.

So, if your tower lights can be mistaken for a masthead light, then... The biggest argument I think is that the tower lights will overpower (make it difficult to see) your nav lights. Maybe technically it is still open to interpretation. But like I said earlier... Whistling.gif

Edited by MalibuTime