Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What do you use your tower lights for?

McMiller

Most of the time tower lights are only good for use when loading or cleaning. They are not ver y effective to use like you would use headlights to drive in darkness as all you get is a glare from the bow of your boat. I will kinda flash mine on and off when driving at night. But they look cool.

How about for making sure it is a Miller not a Miller light??

All right, I stood by and let you rip on me about my boat being a vdrive, and give me a hard time about tubing and wakeboarding and not slaloming, but ripping on my beer??!! Sir you crossed the line!! Tease2.gif

Save your money tower lights are useless. I have some but they came on the boat.

Your lights are halogen and yes I would say halogen lighting on a tower is useless. HID is different and many times brighter. You can't use tower lights like headlights it doesn't work that way.

If a person doesn't boat at night then I would say yes tower lights are useless. If you do however you can find many uses for them.

For the Illusion towers I would recommend the spot beam for both forward and rear facing lights.

Your lights are halogen and yes I would say halogen lighting on a tower is useless. HID is different and many times brighter. You can't use tower lights like headlights it doesn't work that way.

If a person doesn't boat at night then I would say yes tower lights are useless. If you do however you can find many uses for them.

For the Illusion towers I would recommend the spot beam for both forward and rear facing lights.

Flood for rear facing if you are surfing.

All right, I stood by and let you rip on me about my boat being a vdrive, and give me a hard time about tubing and wakeboarding and not slaloming, but ripping on my beer??!! Sir you crossed the line!! Tease2.gif

A thousand pardons sir. No rip was intended about soemthing as hugely important as your beer, howewver, regardless of the brand, the distinction between regular and lite is far too important to be left to chance. Tower lights do provide a benefit.

AND I haven't busted on tubing in quite some time now.

Edited by Baddog

Flood for rear facing if you are surfing.

I've got the rear facing floods on my boat and would go with spots if I did it again. The flood is just way to wide and lights up the interior more than the rear of the boat. I've adjusted them every way possible.

Again I would do spots for both forward and rear facing lights, yes even for surfing. If someone had a titan tower or a tower that didn't swoop forward it probably wouldn't be an issue. On an Illusion tower the spots are a better light pattern.

Edited by 06vlx

They are great for surfing, boarding or riding a foil at night or dusk. The problem is that not only can you see the wake, but now everyone around the lake can see what your doing too. So they tend to attract a ton of attention.

They are great for surfing, boarding or riding a foil at night or dusk. The problem is that not only can you see the wake, but now everyone around the lake can see what your doing too. So they tend to attract a ton of attention.

Hahaha kind of takes away the stealth under the cover of darkness doesn't it.....

My lights hardly ever get turned on because they are basically useless. I have 4 below the tower bar, a light bar with 6 on top, and two pods with them built in. The only time they ever get turned on is pulling up to the dock when it pitch black.

For night riding we attach glowsticks to the riders vest and board and throw a couple on the handle its great fun! You still can't see the wake when cutting in so that great and if your rider falls, or should I say when your rider falls you don't have to play marco polo to find them! lol

Thats exactly how we've done it too.

And if you really need light for docking, at the ramp, etc., one of those hand held billion candlepower spot lights is inexpensive & does a great job.

Seeing after dark? Just a thought. Biggrin.gif

Plus1.gif That's what I use mine for. Basically, if you have been out at night and wished you had some tower mounted lights, then get HIDs. Otherwise, use the handheld like Bill is suggesting.

I would say lights are used more for docking, cleaning, unloading the boat at night, etc. more than anything.

The light has to reflect off of something, a buoy, another boat, a person, a dock, whitewash, etc otherwise the light just reflects off of the water.

Lights do have navigational properties at night so in most waters, you need to be within 100 yards of the shore line to operate tower lights. Lakes like our local Lake Sammamish are not policed at night so a lot of people run their risks surfing at night like in this video

Everybody has a perceived value on any accessory, so take it what it's worth to you, basically having more light at dusk / night is the major benefit.

-Paul

I would say lights are used more for docking, cleaning, unloading the boat at night, etc. more than anything.

The light has to reflect off of something, a buoy, another boat, a person, a dock, whitewash, etc otherwise the light just reflects off of the water.

Lights do have navigational properties at night so in most waters, you need to be within 100 yards of the shore line to operate tower lights. Lakes like our local Lake Sammamish are not policed at night so a lot of people run their risks surfing at night like in this video

Everybody has a perceived value on any accessory, so take it what it's worth to you, basically having more light at dusk / night is the major benefit.

-Paul

That is correct, except when you are running back to the boat launch on Lake Sam and the Indians are out there running around at 20-25 mph in there skiffs setting nets with NO lights of any kind, then I don't feel too bad lighting them up as I cruise back to the launch.

That is correct, except when you are running back to the boat launch on Lake Sam and the Indians are out there running around at 20-25 mph in there skiffs setting nets with NO lights of any kind, then I don't feel too bad lighting them up as I cruise back to the launch.

So isn't there a 5 mph after dark speed limit on WA lakes now?

Years ago we were booze cruisin in the slough at the north end of the lake. As we came out, it was fully dark, I was lookin for that piling thats at the west end of the course. As soon as I spotted it, I opened the boat up to maybe 20 or 25 mph...... and then someone turned their lights on right in front of us! :Doh:

Boat sex in the dark. We missed them by a few yards. Blew me away.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky