Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Regret winterizing it myself?

malibudog

I consider myself to be fairly handy with tools. Can fix/repair/build/design about anything you would find in a house.

However, when it comes to cars/engines, I am mostly clueless. Changing oil - yes. Knowing which one is the fuel line - not so much.

Nevertheless, having read the manual on winterizing, and all the tips on this site, I thought - what the heck, this can't be all that hard. Some of the posts said it took only 20 minutes, so I was figuring it would take me a couple hours or so at most.

Four and one-half hours later, I have an overwhelming urge to vent my "feelings" on this job. Here are my conclusions about undertaking "winterizing" yourself for the first time if you are mechanically challenged:

1) Knowing where the heck things are would really speed things up. The illustrations in the manual mostly suck. Some of the directions suck. Example 1: "disconnect the hoses from the seawater pump." Where the hell is that? Looked in the glove box, in the cooler, all the logical places - couldn't find it, and wouldn't have known what it looked like even if I did find it. My boat has never been in seawater anyway, so maybe I can skip this step. Example 2: "The impeller is located on the front of the engine." Took me 20 minutes to figure out that the front of the engine is in the back of the boat. Go figure. Now I am confused - If I put the transmission in "forward", am I going to run over my skiier??

2) The "20 minute" estimate began to really piss me off at about the 2 hour point. It took me 90 minutes to get off one of the many hoses that you have to disconnect. Sucker wouldn't pull off. WD40, PB Blaster, screwdrivers, hairdryer, tried everything. Finally cut the sucker off, but even that was hard since it was wire reinforced. Yes, I did unscrew the hose clamp before trying to disconnect it.

3) Those of you who believe winterizing is easy must be long-armed, lightweight, contortionist monkeys. In a 247 V-drive with a Hammerhead and factory ballast tanks, some of that stuff is really difficult to reach (let alone unscrew, pull off, and stick your finger in to check for leaves). I now suspect some sort of conspiracy between chiropractors and engine makers, but it's nothing I can prove yet. And, I completely ignored the sign on the rear compartments that says do not exceed 75 lbs of weight, as I lacked any readily available method for setting up a trapeeze.

4) I used to have knuckles before I started this project.

5) DO NOT attempt to winterize your boat for the first time in the presence of children.

Now the good news:

1) I saved a couple hundred bucks, but only because I had already met my medical deductible for the year.

2) I invented some great new swear words, so I have that going for me for the rest of my life.

3) I finally found everything and finished the job. It's got to be easier next time. It's got to be easier next time. If I say it enough times, it must be true.

4) I have about a 35% confidence level that I can get it all put back correctly next spring, and avoid major damage to the boat as a result of failing to reconnect all the loose hoses. Nothing like saving a couple hundred in order to spend a couple thousand.

Final conclusions: Would I undertake to winterize it myself for the first time if I knew then what I know now. Uh, . . . no. Will I do it again now that I have done it once. Probably. Cause now I think I know stuff.

Vent over.

1) Knowing where the heck things are would really speed things up. The illustrations in the manual mostly suck. Some of the directions suck. Example 1: "disconnect the hoses from the seawater pump." Where the hell is that?

2) The "20 minute" estimate began to really piss me off at about the 2 hour point. It took me 90 minutes to get off one of the many hoses that you have to disconnect. Sucker wouldn't pull off.

3) Those of you who believe winterizing is easy must be long-armed, lightweight, contortionist monkeys. In a 247 V-drive with a Hammerhead and factory ballast tanks, some of that stuff is really difficult to reach (let alone unscrew, pull off, and stick your finger in to check for leaves).

4) I used to have knuckles before I started this project.

5) DO NOT attempt to winterize your boat for the first time in the presence of children.

Hee hee. Cracks me up!

You didn't use the pdf? Dude, you've got to download a copy! It has color photographs and a step by

step description that's idiot proof.

When you do put it all back together, be careful with those screws that hold the cover on the

raw water pump (aka "seawater pump"). They are brass and don't need to be over-tightened, just snugged

(or else they will break off).

Similarly, those C-clamps that hold the hoses on don't need to be over-tightened, especially the one

connecting the hose from the raw water pump to the transmission cooler (you can actually crush the cooler

if you get overzealous). Just get those clamps snug, and then check for leaks once you've fired up the

engine. If there is any water leaking, just tighten the clamp a fraction more until it stops.

Hopefully, by doing this, you won't struggle to get the hoses off next time (when warm, just a jiggle

back and forth while pulling will usually do the trick; when cold, a hairdryer works, at least for me).

But, the whole process is a lot simpler when the engine is warmed and those hoses are more pliable.

Get the pdf. Next time, it will be a lot easier.

Sorry to here that it was so much trouble for you. But it really is not all that bad. Sometimes the hoses glue themselves on but if you take them off every year they don't get as stuck as that again imo. Cuddos on saving money though. Rockon.gif

:lol: Great post. Thumbup.gif

Just an FYI - The 20 minute "winterization" I believe was just someone talking about draining their block and manifolds and maybe shooting a little fogging oil down the intake, not a complete winterization, call it a "mini-winterization". There is no way one could do a proper complete winterization in 20 minutes. No.gif

Couldn't really tell how many (if any) of your questions were real and how many were for humor. You do know the "seawater pump" is the pump with the rubber impeller...right? The changing of the impeller is a quick and simple job...............on a direct drive. :lol: That doesn't help you though.

Those of you who believe winterizing is easy must be long-armed, lightweight, contortionist monkeys.

:lol: Now that's funny. And the chiropractor / engine maker conspiracy?... ROFL.gif

Congrats on getting it done. You will become more and more efficient at it the more times you do it.

I have not had to winterize my boat in the past because it was always inside my shop. This year we moved and it is being stored outside until the new shop is built. I used the winterization PDF that Pete talks about, and it took me less than an hour to do the oil change and complete winterization on my 247 with the Hammerhead. The hoses came off with out too much work, and the impeller even came out after ten minutes of me cussing at it. Next time i will be using a proper removal tool. As everyone else said....use the PDF as a guide. While it is not exactly perfect for our engines, it is close enough to get it done!

What a good read, I needed a chuckle, I was there last year!! But I'm questioning whether you covered everything based on what you complained about.

Did you changed the oil?

What method did you use to cool the engine?

Did you change the impeller, was there any trash in the cooler?

Did you pull the knock sensor(s)?

Bummer the experience was a bummer. But like you said, now you know stuff.

Big problem when they put the engine in backwards like yours. A DD could be in your future.

One thing that can make removing those stubborn hoses easier is to get an awl and bend the last inch of it at a right angle (may need to heat with a torch first). Now you have a tool you can insert between the inside of the hose and the metal it is stuck too. Run around the circumference of the metal and it should easily pull right off.

I did finally get it all done. Changed the oil, transmission and v-drive fluids, cleaned out the transmission cooler (did have some pine straw and small leaves), found the elusive "seawater pump", disconnected the hoses and pulled the impeller, pulled both knock sensors, drained the heater, disconnected the batteries - everything mentioned in either the manual or the winterization pdf. The only thing I didn't do was to "remove and inspect" the "anodes" on the V-drive and "replace if they are 50% eroded". I could barely get a wrench on them (they are right against a ballast tank). After about a half hour of effort, when I was about half way done removing them, it dawned on me that I wouldn't know 50% eroded if it hit me in the face. Kind of like "would everyone who is absent today raise their hand". I screwed them back in, hoping (like Tiger) that no one would ever know.

By the way, I do have a gripe with the "winterization pdf". I pulled, printed and referenced that document constantly, and it was a big help. Had I not had that pdf, I would have given up on the winterization job before I even got started, as I couldn't even guess at most of the stuff based on what was in the owners manual. Now you know why I don't like that pdf.

Congrats for tackling it. The first time is always the hardest. You'll learn tricks to make things easier as you go...... like sliding a small screwdriver in & around that stubborn hose to get it off.

The fact that your clueless about boats & engines just means you have lots to learn, right?! So get yourself a six pack on a blah Saturday & go kick back in the boat & get some things done!

Rockon.gif

I did finally get it all done. Changed the oil, transmission and v-drive fluids, cleaned out the transmission cooler (did have some pine straw and small leaves), found the elusive "seawater pump", disconnected the hoses and pulled the impeller, pulled both knock sensors, drained the heater, disconnected the batteries - everything mentioned in either the manual or the winterization pdf. The only thing I didn't do was to "remove and inspect" the "anodes" on the V-drive and "replace if they are 50% eroded". I could barely get a wrench on them (they are right against a ballast tank). After about a half hour of effort, when I was about half way done removing them, it dawned on me that I wouldn't know 50% eroded if it hit me in the face. Kind of like "would everyone who is absent today raise their hand". I screwed them back in, hoping (like Tiger) that no one would ever know.

By the way, I do have a gripe with the "winterization pdf". I pulled, printed and referenced that document constantly, and it was a big help. Had I not had that pdf, I would have given up on the winterization job before I even got started, as I couldn't even guess at most of the stuff based on what was in the owners manual. Now you know why I don't like that pdf.

Ha, I like your humor and I didn't raise my hand FWIW. Sounds like you got it all done, hopefully you pulled all the hose clamps and anything removed out and put it in a bag. When you summarize you shouldn't have any parts left over (duh!!) and you're good to go. As for the anodes, I don't know the destruction rate but I hope they're still good after just 1 or 2 seasons. Are you in salt or brachish water?

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

Oh, and also ROFL.gif

Can't wait to hear what you do come spring!

Edited by WakingMeHappy
if there was a way to give positive reputation points, you would get a bunch of mine!...great post!

:Doh: Ever notice the little green + button at the bottom right of each post?

EDIT: That describes the rep button when using the Cleancut skin, not sure about it when using the standard skin.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Loved the post! Best laugh I've had in a while.

Glad you got the job done, and I'm sure it will be easier next time.

I winterized by boat this year after not doing it for a few years as I keep it indoors now. I winterized as I am planning on having some minor work done next month and imagine it will be outdoors away from its cozy home. I also had a few scraped knuckles.

Good stuff.

Sounded like it would have been easier to move to Florida, and solve your winterizing problem. Funny post though. One thought pull those hard tanks and replace with Fly High 750lbs. sacks. More weight and easier servicing the engine. Good luck in the spring.

4) I have about a 35% confidence level that I can get it all put back correctly next spring,

I like you attitude, glass half full kinda guy. I think I'll go out and do the maintenance on my helicopter and save myself some moohla, Thanks Brah

I like you attitude, glass half full kinda guy. I think I'll go out and do the maintenance on my helicopter and save myself some moohla, Thanks Brah

Can I come for a ride after you're done? As long as you are at least 35% confident that it won't crash.

Can I come for a ride after you're done? As long as you are at least 35% confident that it won't crash.

Now your cookin with gas. BTW I got some PMA and 36.5% sure that up in the air it will stay.

good humor in a good post, it took you 4-1/2 hours, it didn't take me that long, now i am wondering if i missed something...

I am on Eastern Standard time so that probably explains the difference . . . .

:Doh: Ever notice the little green + button at the bottom right of each post?

EDIT: That describes the rep button when using the Cleancut skin, not sure about it when using the standard skin.

Well, now i have learned something today and can go to sleep.....

(Somehow I missed that change!)

Well, now i have learned something today and can go to sleep.....(Somehow I missed that change!)

Thumbup.gif I's fun to find new features. :) I discovered something new the other day that made me say "hey, that's cool"...but unfortunately...I don't remember what it was. :Doh::lol:

Cable television?

:lol:No.gif On the site, knucklehead.

I can't imagine thinking "that's cool" about anything television related. No.gif

Although I do miss watching "Future Weapons". Yes.gif