Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

To Fog or Not to Fog

sixtydriver

I think that would distribute oil (Cranking for 30 seconds +) but I don't think it will protect like fogging oil does (lubrication, corrosion, etc) Plus I think it would be much nicer to set it and forget it?

-Paul

True, but it would give you an excuse to get on the boat in the winter. :)

I know what you are saying but if distributing oil via the internal oil pump doesn't coat the cylinder walls, then you would have to fog after every use. If the suggestion is to fog the engine if it is not going to be used for a month or two, than I would assume the engine oil will stay on the cylinder walls for that amount of time. I think the reason to fog is so you could do it and forget it (as was said above), but I think if you were to turn it over once per month, you would still maintain an oil coating.

Any oil on the cylinder walls from normal operation should only be below the rings, otherwise, you have oil above the rings and that means you have some unpleasant other issues coming your way in the near future.

Any oil on the cylinder walls from normal operation should only be below the rings, otherwise, you have oil above the rings and that means you have some unpleasant other issues coming your way in the near future.

Boy...I felt kinda dumb for asking the fogging question, but this thread has received some great input! Appreciate it BU CREW! Thumbup.gif

Good point. You may distribute the oil but it won't coat and protect the cylinders like fogging oil will.

-Paul

...and one more thing...I usually fog the cylinders PRIOR to changing the oil, so I do not contaminate the engine oil. Not sure it is a good thing to have additional/foreign compounds from the fogging oil mixed with the engine oil. Biggrin.gif

...and one more thing...I usually fog the cylinders PRIOR to changing the oil, so I do not contaminate the engine oil. Not sure it is a good thing to have additional/foreign compounds from the fogging oil mixed with the engine oil. Biggrin.gif

Again, assuming your rings are not currently toasted, there should be zero ineraction between anything above the rings(fogging oil) and stuff below the rings (engine oil). If the two shall meet then you have much bigger problems to deal with.

The valve seats are also protected by fogging oil. Like the cylinder walls, they are a machined surface that can corrode. One advantage to turning over the engine every so often is to close the valves that happen to be open.

Okay, I have something to add to this whole discussion. I visited my dealer a couple of months ago and asked the service department what they use. They use a fuel additive that stabilizes the fuel and also has fogging oil in it. I pinned them down on the whole CATS issue and they didn't even blink, they use it on ALL boats. They put it in while the boat is warming up and circulating the antifreeze. I'm wondering about this method, it seems that it will leave fogging oil on the CATS and also in the fuel system when the boat starts in the spring. I don't remember the name of the product, have any of you other dealers gone this route?

Okay, I have something to add to this whole discussion. I visited my dealer a couple of months ago and asked the service department what they use. They use a fuel additive that stabilizes the fuel and also has fogging oil in it. I pinned them down on the whole CATS issue and they didn't even blink, they use it on ALL boats. They put it in while the boat is warming up and circulating the antifreeze. I'm wondering about this method, it seems that it will leave fogging oil on the CATS and also in the fuel system when the boat starts in the spring. I don't remember the name of the product, have any of you other dealers gone this route?

Wild guess here. but doesn't that dealer also do the fixit stuff when something goes kaplooie on these boats? Hmmmm . . . .

It could be 2 stroke oil like that used in outboards. I've seen that recommended before in some winterization guides. However, 2 stroke outboard owners will tell you that 2 stroke oil doesn't work very well for maintaining lubrication during long periods of storage.