Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need some vauable advice and tips/tricks on loading onto trailer.

cmcgee82

Aw common, whats with the serious answer? I was only kidding :lol:

Kidding is great. I dish it out, so I darned well better be able to take it. However, in this case, I thought you actually posed an interesting question (even if it wasn't phrased in the preferred Jeopardy format) so I timed myself in my head to see how long it actually does take. I can say this with certainty: When I first got this boat it took my a lot of time to launch and retrieve AND I learned some new expletives.

It sounds like Vdrives and dd's are alot harder to manuver. For the last 5 years I have been launching and landing a 19 ft runabout with an inboard outboard at a launch that sees up to 3 knot currents. I dont think I have ever missed.....

sounds like with my new Vride I should go to the launch when it is quiet and do a few "practice" sessions

Kidding is great. I dish it out, so I darned well better be able to take it. However, in this case, I thought you actually posed an interesting question (even if it wasn't phrased in the preferred Jeopardy format) so I timed myself in my head to see how long it actually does take. I can say this with certainty: When I first got this boat it took my a lot of time to launch and retrieve AND I learned some new expletives.

ya who didn't?

It sounds like Vdrives and dd's are alot harder to manuver. For the last 5 years I have been launching and landing a 19 ft runabout with an inboard outboard at a launch that sees up to 3 knot currents. I dont think I have ever missed.....

sounds like with my new Vride I should go to the launch when it is quiet and do a few "practice" sessions

Without a doubt, yes. Practice is required to keep the expeltives to a minimum. Current adds a whole new level of challenge, and these babies only backing to starboard complicate that challenge exponentially. However, with practice and planning you will become profficient.

There are a lot of threads here on this topic, but the key basics are as follows:

1. ANY movement of the boat MUST be SLOW.

2. Only put your trailer in deep enough to just cover the fenders

3. When moving the boat at all, go slow

4. On the boat, slow is better then any other speed

5. In reverse these boats will ONLY move to the right

6. In reverse you should move slowly

7. When approaching the trailer, come in SLOWLY at an angle that is slightly canted to the left, so when you slowly hit reverse and rear end moves to the right, you should be straight for the last slow push onto the bunks.

8. If you do anything, do it slowly

9. Once you get the boat to contact the bunks, it should self center if the trailer is level which you discovered.

10. Now that you are centered on the bunks, apply power, sometimes copiously, to drive it up almost to the front roller. if done correctly you should only have to winch a foot or so.

11. You can and should practice low speed manuevering in deep water away from anything hard so you become comfortable with how much it moves and in which direction and how much easier it is if you do things SLOWLY. Throw some bumpers or cushions in the water to act as docks, trailer posts etc.

With a little practice you will become expert rapidly.

And don't forget the key word . . . . . . . . SLOW!!!

I have to agree with all of this. But doesn't anyone stand up and steer the boat from the middle to keep your tracking straight? If your sitting down on the captains chair your view is skewed. Also I run with the fenders just above the water and motor up which I've never had much problems with.

I actually want to put a live YOUTUBE feed at the launch where I have my boat. There are some real winners that launch by me. My park model is about 100 ft from the launch and I get more entertainment out of watching people launch than watching new women come out that they were with Tiger.

I have to agree with all of this. But doesn't anyone stand up and steer the boat from the middle to keep your tracking straight? If your sitting down on the captains chair your view is skewed. Also I run with the fenders just above the water and motor up which I've never had much problems with.

I actually want to put a live YOUTUBE feed at the launch where I have my boat. There are some real winners that launch by me. My park model is about 100 ft from the launch and I get more entertainment out of watching people launch than watching new women come out that they were with Tiger.

I think standing up to launch or retrieve is limited to bayliner owners.

I think standing up to launch or retrieve is limited to bayliner owners.

Hmmmm...Damn malibu dealer sold me a bayliner with malibu badging !!!! I always stand up and steer to track the boat on the trailer.

Saying you put your motor up was the nail in the coffin that you are running a bayliner. Tease2.gif

Hmmmm...Damn malibu dealer sold me a bayliner with malibu badging !!!! I always stand up and steer to track the boat on the trailer.

For you Tmann, we'll alllow it as long as you promise to always remove the trailer from the boat while under way so we don't have to listen to you crying about "can't get up on plane".