Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help used boat VLX or VTX

FireDoug

Hello,

I have decided to get back into boating mainly because my kids are a little older now. My last boat I bought brand new was a 1997 Ski Nautique Open Bow (SNOB). I have grown up on the water primarily a waterskier, but I have done it all, barefoot, airchair, wakeboarding, surfing you name it... hell I would ride a sheet of plywood behind a boat for fun.

Anyway, I really like the layout of the new V-drive boats, way more room than my old tourney boat... looks to be a great family boat. My kids are 12 and 9, so it would be a while before they could tell the difference between a Malibu wakeboard boat and a Bayliner. My kids like all kids only see wakeboarding as the cool thing to do, but I will still want to ski behind the boat.

So my questions are what do you guys think about an 07 VTX 36k vs. 04 VLX 29K both boats loaded similar equipment. The VTX has a few more bells and whistles like the solid tower vs. a frame tower.

I keep hearing about a diamond hull, how can I tell and what is the advantages?

Thanks

Doug

From all the posts I have read on here the VTX is the best "jack of all trades " cross over boat and does a good job of serving up wakes for all 3 disciplines , skiing , wake boarding and surfing. I have also read that the VLX make an incredible wake board wake , but for skiing, not so much. Others have said it is fine. Depends how hard core you are I guess. If you do a search you should be able to find pics of diamond hulls as compared to wake setter hulls. The diamond hull basically has a turned down lip on the outside edges which helps to flatten out the wake.

The other difference between these 2 boats is size with the VTX being 20 feet with a 98 inch beam compared to 21.5 feet and a 100 inch beam for the VLX. I am no expert and I am sure others will chime in.

Welcome to TMC. If you want to ski, at all, you will want the VTX, especially since you had a SNOB. Here is how to tell the difference between diamond and wake. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles/hulls The wake also skis very nice, so I would not let that stop you if it is a wake hull.

Anyway, I really like the layout of the new V-drive boats, way more room than my old tourney boat... looks to be a great family boat. My kids are 12 and 9, so it would be a while before they could tell the difference between a Malibu wakeboard boat and a Bayliner. My kids like all kids only see wakeboarding as the cool thing to do, but I will still want to ski behind the boat.

The VTX could be ordered with the "Cut Diamond" hull, but most were probably made on the V25 Wake hull.

If you really want to ski, I think you'll want the Cut Diamond.

If you plan on slalom skiing then the choice is simple, a VTX on the cut diamond hull. You'll need to look at the chimes on the bottom along the edges, if they are turned down it's a diamond hull if it is flat then its a wake hull.

Welcome to TMC. If you want to ski, at all, you will want the VTX, especially since you had a SNOB. Here is how to tell the difference between diamond and wake. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles/hulls The wake also skis very nice, so I would not let that stop you if it is a wake hull.

Everyone is chiming (or is that chining? Whistling.gif ) in on the VTX diamond hull as the best choice, but since you are looking at a used boat you really don't get to choose. There is no reason to forgo the wake hull if that is what the boat you are considering has.

Edit- I have skied both and almost bought the wake hull anyhow.

Edited by MalibuTime

Everyone is chiming (or is that chining? Whistling.gif ) in on the VTX diamond hull as the best choice, but since you are looking at a used boat you really don't get to choose. There is no reason to forgo the wake hull if that is what the boat you are considering has.

Edit- I have skied both and almost bought the wake hull anyhow.

I also skied both hulls and agree with Malibutime. Although, above 32 mph the wake on the cut diamond is noticeably smaller and softer. I have an 07 on the cut diamond and love the boat, dont doscount how much easier it is to store the vtx in a garage.

Thanks for all the replies, I talked to the boat owener today, and he immediately answered that his 07 is the wake hull. We are going to take it out for a test on a local lake this weekend... won't get in the water but I should be able to get a good look at the wake .

Seems like the VTX has a lot going for it, just not many VTX boats on the used market compared to the number of VLXs out there.

You could also shop for a Sunscape 20 LSV. It's pretty much the VTX with out the "wakesetter". Same basic hull but I beleve it only comes in the diamond configuration. Unfortunately this also means the tower and wake enhancement features were not standard.

Good luck with your test drive on the 07 VTX.

The '07 VTX is a wider boat, which in my opinion makes it so much more comforatable. Maybe it is just me though. The VTX is a little more flexible in watersports than the VLX, because of wake size, but you will be able to ski with both or do whatever you want. I have slalomed behind my '08 VLX and did just fine. However, I am not a competition skier either. The VTX from what I hear, never riding behind one, will throw up a great wake that your boys will most likely not outgrow, at least not anytime soon. I honestly don't think you will be unhappy with either one, I would talk to the dealer, explain your needs, talk about hours, reliability, wear and tear, stuff like that and if you are still hung up on which one to get then look at them both and get the one that you think looks cooler. Everytime I see my VLX with the illusion tower, I love it and I wouldn't trade it for any other boat. Don't under estimate looks, but I would only use it to break the tie is you can't decide.

The '07 VTX is a wider boat, which in my opinion makes it so much more comforatable. Maybe it is just me though. The VTX is a little more flexible in watersports than the VLX, because of wake size, but you will be able to ski with both or do whatever you want. I have slalomed behind my '08 VLX and did just fine. However, I am not a competition skier either. The VTX from what I hear, never riding behind one, will throw up a great wake that your boys will most likely not outgrow, at least not anytime soon. I honestly don't think you will be unhappy with either one, I would talk to the dealer, explain your needs, talk about hours, reliability, wear and tear, stuff like that and if you are still hung up on which one to get then look at them both and get the one that you think looks cooler. Everytime I see my VLX with the illusion tower, I love it and I wouldn't trade it for any other boat. Don't under estimate looks, but I would only use it to break the tie is you can't decide.

The interior's pretty similar between the two. Only 2" of difference in the beam (98 vs 100) between the VTX and the VLX. I agree with you when it comes to the look of ANY 'bu with the illusion tower: Best looking ski boats ever built. It was nice of Malibu to redesign the 2010s to make sure that remained the case. ;)

t

Thanks for all the replies, I talked to the boat owener today, and he immediately answered that his 07 is the wake hull. We are going to take it out for a test on a local lake this weekend... won't get in the water but I should be able to get a good look at the wake .

Seems like the VTX has a lot going for it, just not many VTX boats on the used market compared to the number of VLXs out there.

Here is my .02. I have a VRide. Which has the V25 Wake Hull. I know I know everyone on MC always talks about VLX, VTX or the LSV. I rarely hear about the VRides. It's all good. I saved 20k and got a new boat without the trashing of a previous owner. So FireDoug if you can't find what you want check out a new VRide. I bought the 23Vride. Bigger boat just doesn't have "Da Bling". But it can be accesorized to look like you spent some good dough. Had I bought a Blinged up VLX, VTX or LSV I would have had to go with a 21. Something to consider :-)

Is summer here yet?

travlnmann, I was also looking at a vRide. It was actually an 09 that I was looking at. It was between the new vRide and the lightly used VLX and I had no idea what I wanted because I could save money on the vRide. I called the dealership a week later to talk prices and the vRide was sold, so I went with the VLX. I haven't looked back since, but if the situation was reversed I know I would still be just as happy with the vRide. I was not into all the bling and everything. The biggest difference to me was ballast and that I personally liked the blue VLX more than the red vRide. I have seen some vRides on the water since then and the vRide with an illusion tower looks awesome. It is not a budget boat by any means.

I do not understand why people don't talk about them as much, because they are a great alternative to a VLX without giving up much and saving some serious dough. Plus a couple of fat sacks will fix the ballast problem.

I love my VTX and sometimes I want a VLX but really I have a family of 2, and no more than 5 to 8 out on the boat and its plenty big, i got a smoking deal on my VTX, both great boats, i like the way that the VTX can do anything, surf, wakeboard, ski, you name it.

travlnmann, I was also looking at a vRide. It was actually an 09 that I was looking at. It was between the new vRide and the lightly used VLX and I had no idea what I wanted because I could save money on the vRide. I called the dealership a week later to talk prices and the vRide was sold, so I went with the VLX. I haven't looked back since, but if the situation was reversed I know I would still be just as happy with the vRide. I was not into all the bling and everything. The biggest difference to me was ballast and that I personally liked the blue VLX more than the red vRide. I have seen some vRides on the water since then and the vRide with an illusion tower looks awesome. It is not a budget boat by any means.

I do not understand why people don't talk about them as much, because they are a great alternative to a VLX without giving up much and saving some serious dough. Plus a couple of fat sacks will fix the ballast problem.

Glad you got a BU either way. You'll be happy. They are great boats no matter which one you get. The chicks don't care or know if you have an LSV, VTX or VLX. They just wanna get on the boat in their bikini's Thumbup.gif

I totally agree on the blue. As you can see I have the blue VRide. I was lucky enough that the dealer that I go through loaded up the boat pretty good. I'll add some more ballast when I get called to go on the "Pro Wakeboard Tour". Until then I'm happy with what I got. Not sure why people on here done acknowledge VRides but again its all good in my eyes. Good luck with your boat and have fun !!!!

I love my VTX and sometimes I want a VLX but really I have a family of 2, and no more than 5 to 8 out on the boat and its plenty big, i got a smoking deal on my VTX, both great boats, i like the way that the VTX can do anything, surf, wakeboard, ski, you name it.

I always have 8-12 people out on my boat every weekend. I like that many people cause they all cough up fuel cash :-) I can do everything that the Blinged up boats can do. It's all good :-)

I always have 8-12 people out on my boat every weekend. I like that many people cause they all cough up fuel cash :-) I can do everything that the Blinged up boats can do. It's all good :-)

That is probably the best point made. If you have a boat, girls will flock to you. If you have a 20k, 50k, or 70k boat it doesn't matter. If you want to wakeboard, get a boat that cna do that. If you want to slalom get a boat that can do that. Just determine what activities are going to be your main priority, that will determine what type of boat you need. From there look at price and determine what boats fit your budget. From there, look at quality and determine out of those boats which ones have low miles and are well kept. Lastly, look at one looks good, all previous things taken into account, if you have to narrow it down go based on what knocks your socks off. Either way, girls here the word boat and they think sunbathing and you get some nice looking ballast.

That is probably the best point made. If you have a boat, girls will flock to you. If you have a 20k, 50k, or 70k boat it doesn't matter. If you want to wakeboard, get a boat that cna do that. If you want to slalom get a boat that can do that. Just determine what activities are going to be your main priority, that will determine what type of boat you need. From there look at price and determine what boats fit your budget. From there, look at quality and determine out of those boats which ones have low miles and are well kept. Lastly, look at one looks good, all previous things taken into account, if you have to narrow it down go based on what knocks your socks off. Either way, girls here the word boat and they think sunbathing and you get some nice looking ballast.

couldn't have said it better myself !!!