Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

00-03 LSV boats comparison

AidansDad

Our regular ride is a friend's 07 Sunscape 21LSV on the Diamond hull. Due to expanding family, he will be selling, and my wife and I are now in the market. We r novice boarders at best, but always looking to progress. I've seen some 00-03 23' LSVs that seem like the perfect boat on paper, but none are close enough to ride in and actually experience. Both models are listed as having the V25 Diamond hull, but have different beams/lengths. Is there a difference in the hulls otherwise? If not, then this boat would be perfect for us. Any known issues w/ the boats besides PP wheel and front bag filling? How are owners weighting theirs for wake/surfing. We surf about 40% of the time, Board 50%, and other 10%. We really like the width and space that the boat would bring, but don't want to completely sacrifice wake for comfort/convenience. Also, any wake pictures of the older LSVs would be appreciated. Finally, what tower does everyone recommend? We love the look/use of the illusion, but have only seen one that had the Illusion tower put on, and don't really see the feasibility of it as the tower was made to go on a 98" hull, and the Escape/LSV was a 97" hull (beam).

Edited by AidansDad

I have a 2003 Sunscape with a wakesetter package. Essentially, in 03, the wakesetter and the sunscape were the same boat. Same hull but different options. The Wakesetter came with tower and ballasts but had very few other bells and whistles. The Sunscape was more of the luxury line, it came with all the options (flush cleats, pop up bow light, 6 speaker stereo system on the 23lsv, etc.) The wakesetter package essentially consisted of tower, wakesetter graphics and wedge. I ordered my boat new in 03'.

As for the difference in the hulls between the 00 and 03, other than the beam, I am unaware of any differences. There is, however, a huge difference between the Diamond hull and Wake hull, which I believe started being offered in 04' or 05'. The Diamond hull has a much better slalom wake than the Wake hull. I have skied behind both and there is a noticeable difference. We wakeboard, surf, wakeskate and slalom behind ours.

If I was looking at the 00 and 03, I would go with the 03' if possible, due to the beam difference. You seem to indicate that space is important to you. You will notice a considerable difference with the wider beam.

As for the tower issue, I agree that the Illusion looks great. However, I think the swoop tower is much more functional. Because the bimini is mounted above the tower on the illusion, you are limited to putting gear only on the racks. With the swoop, in addition to putting the boards on the racks, we are able to strap gear all over the top of the tower. My boat has three racks (2 wakeboard and 1 surf). Usually, we have 4 wakeboards, 1 surfboard, and 1 wakeskate on the rack. In addition, we have two knee boards strapped to the top of the tower (something that cannot be done on the illusion). We also strap our wet vests to the tower to dry, again something that cannot be done on the illusion. Another consideration between the two towers is there height. My 3 pals have the illusion and with the speakers mounted, they are constantly hitting their heads on the speakers. They are all around 5'10" - 6' tall. The swoop is considerably higher and a 6' plus person can walk under without ducking.

By the way, if you are looking for a clean 03' mine is for sale. I have it listed on this sight under 03' Sunscape with Wakesetter package. It is immaculate. Has every bell and whistle, including hammerhead motor. It only has 240 hours. Take a look. I do not think you will find a cleaner 03' anywhere. I am very negotiable on the price, as I have put a deposit on my 09' wakesetter and cannot take possession until I have sold my 03'. My boat is also listed on craigslist in Nevada, California and Arizona.

Edited by Roselaw1

I know that the 00-03 hulls are all the same for the 23' boats regardless of package (WS, SS, Escape). I'm wondering if the hull is truly the same as the 04-07 Diamond hulls. As far as the tower goes, unless I get the Wakesetter version, i'll probably add my own, unless it comes with one the previous owner added. All I REQUIRE it to do is be sturdy, quiet, and allow for board racks, speakers, and bimini. We actually used my friends Illusion to store the surfboard up top when we were anchored, and laid it on the sunpad when underway. Never had any issues with that. If anyone has pics of the wake from a 00-03 23' Malibu they'd like to share, I would really appreciate it. Makes me really miss wakeside rides.

I know that the 00-03 hulls are all the same for the 23' boats regardless of package (WS, SS, Escape). I'm wondering if the hull is truly the same as the 04-07 Diamond hulls. As far as the tower goes, unless I get the Wakesetter version, i'll probably add my own, unless it comes with one the previous owner added. All I REQUIRE it to do is be sturdy, quiet, and allow for board racks, speakers, and bimini. We actually used my friends Illusion to store the surfboard up top when we were anchored, and laid it on the sunpad when underway. Never had any issues with that. If anyone has pics of the wake from a 00-03 23' Malibu they'd like to share, I would really appreciate it. Makes me really miss wakeside rides.

We have a 23 WS LSV and love it (black/yellow/white). Titan III tower with two Titan Alpha II speakers, bimini, and board racks. The tower is painted yellow to make the boat. It looks great! Should be able to see a picture of it on my profile. I'll try to upload just a photo of the boat.

If all you do is board then why are you looking at a diamond hull? I would go for the wakesetter series that has the wake hull and tower setup. Glad to see you made it over here.

Edited by Sandbagger

If all you do is board then why are you looking at a diamond hull? I would go for the wakesetter series that has the wake hull and tower setup. Glad to see you made it over here.

We mostly board and surf, occasionally ski/slalom/tube. Would love a WS hull from that era, but all the 23' boats at that time were diamond hulls. We r accustomed to that hull on the 04-07 hulls, but didn't know how it compared to the 00-03 diamond hulls.

We mostly board and surf, occasionally ski/slalom/tube. Would love a WS hull from that era, but all the 23' boats at that time were diamond hulls. We r accustomed to that hull on the 04-07 hulls, but didn't know how it compared to the 00-03 diamond hulls.

You might look at later year VLX's as they are probably more similar to the earlier year 23 footers in terms of size and interior room.

Probably more of a matter of how much you want to spend for a boat for proper match up.

Edited by Sandbagger

You might look at later year VLX's as they are probably more similar to the earlier year 23 footers in terms of size and interior room.

Probably more of a matter of how much you want to spend for a boat for proper match up.

Cost is definitely a priority. Looking in the 20-25k range, depending on hours, condition, and extras (tower, ballast, PP, wedge). Most of the 05-?? VLX have started at 32K w/ 500+ hours and ragged interior. If anyone has other ideas, let me know. Our regular crew is 6, often with 4-5 additional (50% of the time). My wife also has a pretty good size immediate family, and we would like everyone to be able to enjoy it at the same time.

I agree with Sandbagger that the hull you should be looking for is a wake hull because if boarding is your main activity then you should look to satisfy that need. I slalom behind my 08 VLX with a wake hull and I have no problem, grante I am not a competition slalom skier but it doesn't seem like you are either. I think you would be happier with the wake hull.

With that being said, I understand price is an issue. Now you can still get an older model VLX with wake hull probably in your price range. If you look hard you should be able to get a great deal. However, if you normally ride with 6 people then half the time have another 4-5 people with you then I understand you concern on the size of the boat. Yes, you can fit 10-11 peolpe in a 21 foot Malibu, but a 23 footer would be more comfortable. I actually have no idea if there are old 23 foot wake hulls on any of the older models. The one thing I will say though if you could manage to get a wake hull and have 10 - 11 people in your boat, then your wake should be huge.

I guess it is too bad that they didn't make the 23 vRide earlier on, huh?

If it were completely my decision (read single), then a 21VLX would be perfect. But my wife hates going out when we go with large crowds on my buddies 21LSV b/c there's no room. she really doesn't like more than about 5-6 b/c of all the moving around required to change riders and everyone being in the way (pulling in rope, getting board down, putting other board up, putting up jacket, heater shirt, helmet, getting out other jacket, heater shirt, helmet, digging out towel, etc.) So, to keep the peace, We want a larger boat and will sacrifice wake quality (a lil bit) so everyone can enjoy the boat. Besides, it' not like i'm going pro. My buddy's 21LSV makes a huge wake with the right weight, and it's really not anymore than i see some guys running on their VLX.

If it were completely my decision (read single), then a 21VLX would be perfect. But my wife hates going out when we go with large crowds on my buddies 21LSV b/c there's no room. she really doesn't like more than about 5-6 b/c of all the moving around required to change riders and everyone being in the way (pulling in rope, getting board down, putting other board up, putting up jacket, heater shirt, helmet, getting out other jacket, heater shirt, helmet, digging out towel, etc.) So, to keep the peace, We want a larger boat and will sacrifice wake quality (a lil bit) so everyone can enjoy the boat. Besides, it' not like i'm going pro. My buddy's 21LSV makes a huge wake with the right weight, and it's really not anymore than i see some guys running on their VLX.

Ya if you put 10-11 people in any boat it is going to throw up a nice wake.

By right weight, I meant 4-5 adults, 1-2 kids, Rear MLS, Ski locker sack, 540s in the rear (85%full), 540 in the walkthrough (75%full), and 540 in the bow. Now add another 4-5 people, and gets kinda scary. Add the power wedge, and all it does is make a lip at that point, and decrease holeshot.