Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 Vride Ballast Help

Arty_36

Hi Everyone...

Looking for some help with my 06 vride (Australian)

The hull is the sv23 wake hull and i recently upgraded the rear tanks to sac's, 250kg's each (about 550 pound).. i've also got the standard belly tank and a custom sac in the bow under the cushions that holds about 150kg's (about 330 pound)... no wedge on the boat either

We normally ride at about 22mph with about 4 people in the boat evenly spread....

The problem i'm having is when the rider cuts out either side, the wake crumble's very badly & the rooster tail washes over the other side... so much so that when the rider is coming back in they tend to be landing in white wash!! We also don't seem to be able to ride at any longer than 75foot cause the wake washes out even when the rider just sits in the center.

Any idea's guys cause it's got me beat!!

Arty- Your explained my boat to a "T"

I will tell you what I learned from another member here that used to have to same boat (BS001 to give credit). In the case of the wake washing out whenever the rider is pulling hard, this seems to be more of a driver error. The driver needs to compensate for the rider. Not easy (at least for me) to get perfect.

As far as the wake washing out past 73 feet, you might try adding a bit more weight to the front. We run 500# in the bow, 250mid, 250 each in the rears, but we use the wedge, also around 22mph.

Hey ruffdawg,

What do you mean by driver error? as in not holding the boat straight or compensating for the rider pulling out??

i kind of assumed it was the boat rolling over causing it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Arty- Your explained my boat to a "T"

I will tell you what I learned from another member here that used to have to same boat (BS001 to give credit). In the case of the wake washing out whenever the rider is pulling hard, this seems to be more of a driver error. The driver needs to compensate for the rider. Not easy (at least for me) to get perfect.

As far as the wake washing out past 73 feet, you might try adding a bit more weight to the front. We run 500# in the bow, 250mid, 250 each in the rears, but we use the wedge, also around 22mph.

Hey Ruffdawg, Do you have your bow ballast hooked up to your factory ballast? Would love to get some ideas on how you hooked it up. Or even some pictures. I've got some mechanical ability just like to have some ideas to help along. Thanks in advance

Was the bow ballast necessary? And what difference did it make?

PM me if its easier

Edited by travlnmannn

I don't have the bow ballast tanks, do they make a difference should I buy some bags or something. Havn't had any complaints about the wake yet.

Thats interesting that you dont have bow ballast either. No complaints on the wake ? Seems like everyone on here I talk to says bow ballast is so important.

Hi guys,

We just fill up a sack in the front. I actually prefer a sack rather than plumbing a system in because of storage and surfing! typically the sack will be centered for wakeboarding of course but when you want to surf you just push the sack over to one side. An advantage I think over the integrated or plumbed systems. I am sure that someone will argue that point though Biggrin.gif

Yes it makes a huge difference to put a sack in front for a couple reasons. One is just to keep the nose of the boat down, the other is to make the wake longer. I am really just a beginner myself but I was fortunate in that BS001 showed me the ropes. I would feel free to pm him like you did me, super nice guy and more knowledgeable than myself.

Mike

Hey there...

Just saw this thread. I agree with Dawg, on the bow ballast. It makes a world of difference. I think it's a must if you're using a wedge. It definitely makes the wake wider. IMO it also cleans up the wake and makes it more firm (if you've got your boat weighted right). Also allows seems like it makes the boat drive a bit more stable. Of course the more you have up front, the more you can put in the back too.

On the 'driver error' thing: You definitely need to be steering against the rider as they are cutting out. The stronger the rider, the more you need to correct. The bigger, wider, heavier the boat the less you need to compensate. You might already be doing this, and are still having crumbling issues I'm not sure. Oh, and the wake will always crumble when the rider carves out, but with good driving and an evenly weighted boat it shapes right up when the rider turns to come back towards it.

Anyway, that's what I've found. If driving isn't the answer, placement of weight is your problem.

Good luck.

i have an 08 vtx cut diamond hull, with no bow tank or wedge!! wakes crap imo

IMG_1350.jpg

I would imagine a wedge would help that wake out considerably. I used to ride a 98 sunsetter LX with 500 in the back and 300 in the ski locker. Without the wedge it was horrible. Drop the wedge and it rocked.

Hey there...

Just saw this thread. I agree with Dawg, on the bow ballast. It makes a world of difference. I think it's a must if you're using a wedge. It definitely makes the wake wider. IMO it also cleans up the wake and makes it more firm (if you've got your boat weighted right). Also allows seems like it makes the boat drive a bit more stable. Of course the more you have up front, the more you can put in the back too.

On the 'driver error' thing: You definitely need to be steering against the rider as they are cutting out. The stronger the rider, the more you need to correct. The bigger, wider, heavier the boat the less you need to compensate. You might already be doing this, and are still having crumbling issues I'm not sure. Oh, and the wake will always crumble when the rider carves out, but with good driving and an evenly weighted boat it shapes right up when the rider turns to come back towards it.

Anyway, that's what I've found. If driving isn't the answer, placement of weight is your problem.

Good luck.

I like the idea of being able to move the bags around for surfing. But then I like the auto fill as well.... There's an economic crisis going on out there and I have such trivial problems. Shame on me.

arty, we have the same problem as you, when the rider cuts out the wake washes out on the other side, nd we have the cut dimond hull nd only the 3 tanks NO WEDGE

and only recently i went to black diamond wakeboarding school at wiseo's nd rode with no wedge for the first 2 sets, nd the wake washed out still, but as soon as that wedge went down on the last set the wake was super solid, no washing out even the little rooster tail didnt move from side to side

get a wedge, it stops it from rolling round

hey arty where bouts do you ride?

Hey Nicvtx, cheers dude, mainly ride on the hawkesbury from the windsor end... blue & white with a black titan tower...

Hey there...

Good luck.

Hey bs001, yeah i already allow for the rider but thought there must have been some secret!!.. guess the issue is in the weighting then... i'll get some lead to move around the boat & see if that solves the issue...

arty, we have the same problem as you, when the rider cuts out the wake washes out on the other side, nd we have the cut dimond hull nd only the 3 tanks NO WEDGE

and only recently i went to black diamond wakeboarding school at wiseo's nd rode with no wedge for the first 2 sets, nd the wake washed out still, but as soon as that wedge went down on the last set the wake was super solid, no washing out even the little rooster tail didnt move from side to side

yeah i've ridden with scotty a bit, think the big difference is he's got the latest hull so a bit hard to compare.. all good cheers anyway dude!

i think ive seen you out once or twice, recently i remember seeing a black, white nd blue v ride with a titian tower going down the ramp as we were leaving the creek,

we ahve the red a charcoal vtx, so if you see us out give us a wave, nd yeh we put in from the windsor ramp nd go right down to sackville then back up, makes for a good day Thumbup.gif