Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX with hammerhead?

pablo

I know that this is off the subject a bit but what are some of the main issues with the hammerhead engine? I am looking at an 07 vlx with the hammerhead. Is the monsoon a better fit for this boat? How much more gas am I going to burn with this motor? I read that some people complained about It burnin alot of oil. Was that an issue in 07? I guess I just got a little nervous after reading the other post about warranty work and someone mentioned the hammerhead having issues.

I know that this is off the subject a bit but what are some of the main issues with the hammerhead engine? I am looking at an 07 vlx with the hammerhead. Is the monsoon a better fit for this boat? How much more gas am I going to burn with this motor? I read that some people complained about It burnin alot of oil. Was that an issue in 07? I guess I just got a little nervous after reading the other post about warranty work and someone mentioned the hammerhead having issues.

If you're looking at a boat with a HH get the service records for the boat. If it hasn't had any issues than it most likely never will. We've told you before that if a HH is going to have issues it will have them very early on.

Thanks 06 VLX. I will try and get some service records on the boat? If I can't get the records would you take the risk on that engine? What problems should I look for or be worried about with that engine?

Thanks 06 VLX. I will try and get some service records on the boat? If I can't get the records would you take the risk on that engine? What problems should I look for or be worried about with that engine?

I would have a dealership take a look at any boat before I bought it if I wasn't completely comfortable checking it out myself. If you aren't 100% confident you can find any and all issues I'd have a Malibu dealership check the boat out.

Edited by 06vlx

The oil issue is a very small one. What does a quart of oil cost? A few bucks. I end up adding one every 30 or so hours to my HH. Not a big deal. I have a fealing the majority of people who would tell you the HH isn't a good engine, would be people who have the regular engine, and are coming up with reasons not to like/want the bigger one. You don't need the HH with a 21 foot boat. You don't even need it with a 23 foot boat. But wouldn't it be really nice to have it though?!?!?!?!? The HH with a VLX would be a crazy fit, and I can't see a down side to it. Still though, your buying a used boat, so be careful...

Brettpendl what boat do you have? Sounds like you haven't had any real big problems with your engine other than having too add oil every 30 hours. I too think that this engine would be sweet in a 21 foot boat. I plan on really weighting the boat with additional ballast? Also any idea how this boat will do for surfing? Is the wake for surfing better on the port or starboard side. I prefer to surf on the the port side of the boat as i ride regular.

The older hammerheads were the ones more known to have issues. A newer one should be good as long as it was maintained properly. As was mentioned before if they had a problem it was usually early on, but the failure rate was nothing compared to the older hammerheads. The "stoker" motor as they call it is a gm crate motor that they use and has proven much more reliable. They are wicked in a 21. If you change out the prop from factory to a acme or oj xmp you should get better performance and they will be pretty decent fuel wise as well (this of course depends how much weight, etc you run).

Oil consumption is the only thing you need to know with a 383 400 HP hammerhead. Those engines do not like to be babied, I'm not saying drive it like you stole it but that motor likes to have it's legs stretched out.

Checking the oil level on a hammerhead should be done on each outing.

Great motor!

Good luck with the boat

-Paul

Pablo, I have an 08 23 LSV with the Hammerhead. I don't have a clue as to how good the surf wake is on my boat. I do lots of surfing behind my boat, and I've gotten pretty decent at it, but I've never surfed behind any other boat, so I don't have a good reference. I do have a pretty good picture somewhere of surfing while shotgunning a beer with one hand, and giving the rock on sign with the other. Good times.

As for the engine, there is another thread currently being discussed where people had alot of problems with my boat. I had a few issues, but nothing like gel cracking or other serious stuff thus far.

All things being equal though, I've said repeatedly for a while, shape of wakes due to different boat builders should be #30to #40 on the list of important things to consider when buying a boat. You will get used to what ever shape wake your boat throws, and their is so many far more important things to consider. I've rode behind Nautiques, Sangers, and a MC, and yes there are small variations in wakes, but I'll never be signing up for tournaments, or looking for soda companty endorsements. I'll get used to what ever is pulling me.

Pablo, I have an 08 23 LSV with the Hammerhead. I don't have a clue as to how good the surf wake is on my boat. I do lots of surfing behind my boat, and I've gotten pretty decent at it, but I've never surfed behind any other boat, so I don't have a good reference. I do have a pretty good picture somewhere of surfing while shotgunning a beer with one hand, and giving the rock on sign with the other. Good times.

As for the engine, there is another thread currently being discussed where people had alot of problems with my boat. I had a few issues, but nothing like gel cracking or other serious stuff thus far.

All things being equal though, I've said repeatedly for a while, shape of wakes due to different boat builders should be #30to #40 on the list of important things to consider when buying a boat. You will get used to what ever shape wake your boat throws, and their is so many far more important things to consider. I've rode behind Nautiques, Sangers, and a MC, and yes there are small variations in wakes, but I'll never be signing up for tournaments, or looking for soda companty endorsements. I'll get used to what ever is pulling me.